Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Cosy Reading Places



One of the things I drool over on pinterest and other online sources is images of cosy reading places.  I am very lucky to have, in my own home, more than one lovely place to curl up with a book, but I still enjoy the images of cluttered home libraries and envy the homes with detailed architecture and built in book shelves.
I'm a passive follower of Design Sponge and the post today was worth sharing and rather timely.

http://www.designsponge.com/2014/02/10-cozy-reading-nooks.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+designsponge%2Fnjjl+%28Design*Sponge%29

Here is a little glimpse into my own home, with piles of pillows on the sofa and my cat's stuffed friends sitting on the back of it. In a little nook beside the fireplace I have a table stacked with just some of my books.  Someday I will get shelves in there.  I don't worry about the appearance of books.  Some people only decorate with carefully selected hardcovers or put their books into a colour coordinated sequence.  I am neither a minimalist nor is my home fancy or limited to a small colour palette.  I don't feel the need to hide away the paperbacks and only display my hardcovers because books are treasures to me, no matter how elegant they do or don't look.












This bottom picture shows what I call my library table and I have a bespoke bench upholstered in purple under the window.  I can sit at my library table with larger reference books or to do some work there.  The corner needs a large plant.  The palm I had there died. It just happened to be the cat's favourite plant to eat and then vomit all over the carpet.  Something new is required.

11 comments:

  1. I love reading areas too. I laughed at the cat and the plant - so true! And they always vomit on the carpet, never on the easy-to-clean floor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila, thanks for visiting. I have watched heaving cats run around looking for the rug. There is some definite plan there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your home looks very "gemütlich" :-)
    i love to have books all over the house and some cosy places too. and i always place some book near a guest bed, especially curated for the actual guest.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I had to google that word but now I get to add it to my vocabulary. I just have to practices spelling it. I don't get any sleep over guests, though the guest room is also full of books. Not at all thoughtfully organised for guests but stacked in piles with the greatest assurance that all my books are deeply fascinating.

      Delete
  4. In my house we have a bubblegum pink "crazy room" with a purple futon and lots of happy, colorful things. This has inadvertently become the reading room and while I thought the colors would bother me, they instead relax me! However, if I'm feeling really sleepy I'll read in the bedroom (all light blues and a bit bohemian). Funny how different rooms fit different moods...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then we are purple futon sisters. My spare room also has a purple velour futon with loads of colourful pillows and throws. I read in bed too. I read everywhere except of buses because nobody would want me to do that!

      Delete
  5. Books, pictures, no particular order, and puking cats - sounds just like my house! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books, pictures, puking cats, houseplants candles and beach stones. I think that is probably the first impression my home would make. Come on over and I'll put the kettle on! Unless you get here after four, at which time I am pouring the wine.

      Delete
  6. My son and I love books ... he has his own 'collection' and LOVES hardcover books however when he has read a book you would never say it has even been opened ~ he is VERY particular with his books ... not sure where the comes from because although I look after my books I am not as particular as he is.

    Thanks for giving us a peek into your home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come from a family of book lovers. My grandparents had a collection of well steamed paperbacks because they tended to read in the tub. I read in the tub too but I take magazines instead so I don't dampen my books. I love hardcover books too, though I have to admit it is easier to read and cheaper to buy a soft cover so I tend to have both in my collection. If I won a huge lottery I would probably spend a ton of money just to convert my whole book collection to hardcover.

      Delete
  7. I love your home! It is beautiful, inviting, very alive, very real! I can see that you love it! I will come for tea or wine, or for both. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.