Sunday, 16 February 2014

Rainy Days and Procrastination

While most of North America has suffered snow storms, ice storms and very cold temperatures, my part of the world offers up the sort of precipitation one doesn't have to shovel.  Our version of climate change this year has been to experience an unusually dry winter, but this week has been one of heavy wind and rain storms frequently blustering through. My apartment is a corner suite, with kitchen windows that face south and east, which is the direction our winter storms come from.  It's like being on a ship at sea, with wind and water battering at me as though I stand at the prow.  Sophie, ship's cat, sits at the window sill and smacks at the heavy drops that hit the glass.  It looks like sleet at times.




I am tired today.  That's not unusual, but it can still be frustrating.  I went out yesterday, venturing to my two favourite local second hand book stores.  I guess today is a day to recover from that adventure.  I didn't remember that I was low on cream for my tea or coffee.  (Yes, I know, if you are a tea drinker you are probably thinking cream-what the heck? I hardly ever use milk and drink coffee a little more frequently than I drink tea so I just buy the cream because that's what I like best in my coffee.  It works fine in tea if I just add a dribble)  My mother, who is the sweetest mother in all the universe, braved the storm and brought me a new carton of cream.  I will be drinking love today as I drink my coffee.


This post is supposed to be about procrastination.  Look how good I am at it!  I have even taken this long to get to the subject.  It's a rainy Sunday.  The kind of day when many people allow themselves to do very little, but with my lifestyle one day is pretty much the same as the nest.  Weekends don't exist for me except in so far as I need to acknowledge the schedule of others.  I am always a bit behind in the things I need to do.  Shoulds really do exist in the real world, no matter what the self help gurus say, and we all face shoulds such as  I really should do my taxes, I really should clean the bathroom, I really should feed the cat.  My big should involves some paper work I am long overdue in getting to.  Today is just one in a string of days of procrastination on that one.

What, dear reader (Yes, I am going to pretend I have readers) do you procrastinate about and what do you do instead?  Clearly one of my new options is to blog.  Sometimes doing the dishes or the laundry or cleaning out a cupboard is just the right thing to do when paperwork beckons.  When I was a teacher I would hear many of my colleagues say in only partial jest, that there homes were never so clean as at report card time.  So today I will blog, drink coffee, watch the rain, toss a ball of yarn for my cat and paint a little.  I have primed a large canvas and can't wait to get at it.  I have hauled a couple of older pieces out of my storage cupboard because I have ideas for them.

I am telling myself that later I will make a fire and get cosy on the sofa and do my paperwork because I know it will feel good to get it done.  Perhaps a little Merlot will help.  If I get my paperwork done, I will treat myself to a bubble bath and time with my book.  Do you have to bribe yourself to get things done?  To be honest, I am not sure if I can be trusted not to cheat.  I'm pretty sure I can rationalise the necessity of a bath and while I'm there, why not read?

It's time to finish this post.  I am pretty sure there are some plants that need tending, and some cupboards to clean out and maybe some paperwork to do.  Maybe.


Note:  All photos are my own and really, who else would want to claim them?  If you borrow a photo for some reason, please give credit and a link. It's the way to play fair in blogger land.

11 comments:

  1. i bribe myself all the time like that. i hope you got your bubble bath and merlot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi and thanks for visiting! I have recently discovered your blog and am enjoying it! Yes, got the paper work done and a lovely bubble bath.

      Delete
  2. Hi Shawna, Nice to meet you. I found your blog through Shybiker ... Procrastination is something I think all of us suffer from ... I am trying to get a scrapbook finished for a friend and that thief procrastination comes along at every turn and steals my time ... usually with the TV or exhaustion. I will definitely be back to say "Hi!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn. It's nice to meet you and thank you for visiting and leaving a comment. I'm sure we all put off the things we don't like doing. I love those very brief moments when I am all caught up and there is nothing pressing but they sure don't last long!

      Delete
    2. I have been rather good the last week ... When I get home in the afternoons I go directly to my scrapbooking table. I have made a dent in the book I am working on and hope to have it finished in the next week and that is why I am only catching up on your blog posts today!

      Delete
    3. Good for you! It does feel good to get on top of things. I am very good at reading or painting when I should be doing some horrible bit of paper work. Will you be sharing the scrapbook on your blog or is it too personal?

      Delete
  3. Hi Shawna, I found your blog through sopastcaring.

    I procrastinate all the time, in fact today was a case in point, I was off work today and it was 4pm before I knew it, however I couldn't really tell you what I have done. Hope you got to do your paperwork in front of the fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Northern Mum, thanks for visiting and commenting. I did indeed get to do my paperwork in front of the fire and it feels great to have it done. Today I am reveling in that feeling of not having anything pressing. It won't last long.

      Delete
  4. If this comment is repeated, I apologise - but I think Blogger has eaten what I just wrote, so I'm doing it again!
    Hello! From one procrastinator to another. I too am a Queen of Putting Off. I see from your reply above that you did get your paperwork done, so that's good! Your weather looks much like ours at the moment, one of my cats is a patter of raindrops, and I loathe paperwork of any kind... So there you go, some things in common!
    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting, I appreciate it. And sorry that I am in a melancholy mood for a new visitor; it will pass, and I'll be cheerier, I promise. It's good to meet you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment has only shown up once so Blogger really did eat the first one. I am still learning my way around Blogger so I will not be criticising anyone for mistakes because I'm bound to make many. Please don't apologise for a melancholy mood. We all have them and it sometimes takes too much effort to have to suppress it. I have read some of your more cheerful posts too and quite enjoyed them. Perhaps I will eventually find the confidence to take some photos of my outfits and share them too. Your photos are fantastic!

      Delete
  5. All of your blog entries are great, Shawna, but I just had to reply to this one. As I once mentioned, I intended to join the International Procrastinator's Association but I kept putting it off. What I didn't mention was that I also wanted to run for President of the Procrastinators of the US organization but kept saying, "tomorrow" on that one, too. They wanted to elect Sophie, whose habit of immediately patting raindrops shows a powerful and inciseful will, but her being a Canadian citizen got in the way.

    I think I procrastinate most about those things I really want to do but the doing of which scares the heck out of me. I fear success. If I do something well, will I have to do it weller the next time? Better to not do it at all.

    I have this fantastic idea for a painting, although most would think I've gone totally psychotic. I have the canvas. I have the paint. I even sprung for a set of excellent brushes. I have had all of this for nearly two years. What I don't have is whatever it takes to put paint on brush and brush on canvas.

    Oh, sigh...

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.