Monday, 17 March 2014

A Small Sartorial Epiphany with my Morning Latte

                                                                      
You can take a teacher out of the classroom but you can't change the way she dresses.  I wore this outfit recently, which included my new (to me) blouse and the teacherish denim skirt I  hung onto after chucking the others.  I like this outfit.  It is very me.  I feel comfortable enough to forget about how I'm dressed but nicely dressed enough to feel that it is part of presenting my best self to the world.   But when I looked closely at it I thought, damn I would have worn this outfit to work.  I'm still dressed like a teacher.

Then I had a sip of my magic morning latte.  (Okay, I just like the sound of that.  Actually the latte is not magic and it was afternoon because that's how long I slept)  The caffeine coursed through my veins and slapped my brain saying 'you idiot!'  It was said with affection, rest assured.  I don't look like 'a teacher' I look like myself and when I was a teacher I also looked like myself.  I had the freedom to dress as I chose and this is how I dressed.  There were some choices I made for that role which I no longer make now, some things I wore then because it was my interpretation of how I thought I was supposed to dress,  but teaching is a profession where these days one can wear very nearly anything one chooses so long as it is not something you would wear to a night club.  Oh wait, I would probably wear this to a night club.  Never mind.  In teaching you can wear anything you want to wear unless it is obviously dirty or showing too much skin.  The definition of too much skin probably varies a bit but cropped tops and the accompanying belly button would not be acceptable.




Not  only is it St Patrick's Day, it is Sophie's birthday and she is three.  She pointed out to me that pictures of her would be much more interesting than pictures of me in a green cardigan and I agreed.


14 comments:

  1. You look so comfortable, fresh and confident in this outfit! The skirt fits you wonderfully! I love your boots too, very cool. And the blouse has such a whimsical print - it takes the whole look far out of ordinary. Love your writing, you are so natural!

    Happy birthday to Sophie, she's a big girl now! Our cats are about 2.5, two sisters. Love your plant collection, and your paintings - very inspiring! Very enjoyable glimpses to your life, thank you for them! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was just thinking how I am so ready to put all the black things away for spring so it's nice to know I pulled of looking fresh. LOL You are such a sweetie.

      Delete
  2. Sophie's a gorgeous girl, isn't she?
    And that is a lovely outfit too; so what if it would have been appropriate for work? It suits you perfectly, and shows off your long lean legs! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophie is a stunner but she is delightfully feisty and not at all delicate. She thumps and stomps about and loves to play fetch. She is also sweet and cuddly though, and a totally mummy's baby.
      I laughed when I read 'long lean legs' as I don't think of them that way at all. Funny how everyone's perspective is different.

      Delete
  3. happy birthday to sophie!! i think you look great in this outfit..and i will tell you that my daughter's 1st grade teacher is one of the most fashionable people i know!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and Sophie thanks you. I think many teachers are very creative people and so some of them are very fashionable or stylish. My early primary grade teachers are still some of the strongest influences on my own style and my youngest students, were the ones most likely to come and tell me that they liked my skirt.

      Delete
  4. lol! Happy birthday Sophie! You are a very stylish teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sara. And thanks from Sophie. She is happily eating a fly right now. She likes it much more than birthday cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. happy birthday to that cute cat sophie!
    the blouse is perfect on you. the whole outfit is the right mixture of strong (skirt/boots) and poetic (blouse).
    and now there is a second one that says that your legs are great - do you believe is now? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I refuse to believe it. My legs are chunky, I tell you! Okay, perhaps they are charmingly chunky. ;-)

      Delete
  7. Aaaawww, Sophie is so cute and fat! :D
    I think that's the point of dressing up, to express your inner self and to dress like yourself, not like somebody else. Even if it's teacherish, like you said :D If it makes you happy and comfortable, who's right it is, to tell you the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt she would care at all, but Sophie is all fur and actually very skinny underneath it. She isn't remotely fat. There is a humourous saying here that is sometimes on fridge magnets or tee shirts : I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy. In Sohie's case it's quite true.

      So my inner self is teacherish? Damn I was hoping for sexy!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday Sophie! i'm bit late sorry!
    Love your blog, i should be workin, but who cares? your blog is far more interesting:)

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thanks for finding my blog more interesting than work! LOL I can end up reading blogs for hours if I'm not careful. But then why bother to be careful!?
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.