Monday, 24 March 2014

A Visible Red Coat

 I have a variety of very distinct and fond memories of some of my childhood clothing.  My mother sewed much of it and she sewed beautifully.  I had many lovely little dresses, which I wore with knee socks and buckled leather shoes.  My first and I think perhaps my only full on outfit ever, was assembled somewhat by accident but I can still recall how I felt when I wore it.  I was perhaps five, but I felt like a grown up.  I felt stronger, more confidant and completely comfortable with myself.  There was a knitted dress, made by a talented friend of my mother's.  The top was a red cable stitch bodice and the skirt was navy blue with red and white lines which gave it a sort of simplified tartan look.  At the collar and cuffs  a row of white and a row of blue complimented the red.  I had navy, red and white buckled shoes, a red vinyl coat styled like a trench with a lovely buckled belt.  I loved buckles.  I still love buckles.  I wore red or navy tights and I even had a little purse in navy, red and white.

I rarely got to put this whole ensemble together, but the thrill of doing so, which may have happened only once or twice in my life, is still with me over forty years later.  Navy is a staple in my wardrobe and red is a special colour.  It's something I seem to dole out to myself in carefully rationed doses like I would with fine quality chocolate and I seem to favour it in outer wear.  I'm visible in red, so I'm linking up to Patti's fantastic blog and Visible Monday at Not Dead Yet Style.

                               I think this is my Napoleon pose.

                                         source
In this, my favourite coat, I was always very visible while on the playground doing supervision duty.  Then we were told we had to wear reflective orange vests and what the orange did to my beautiful red coat, well it's no exaggeration to say it completely negated the uplifting feeling I got from it.  I couldn't let the orange ruin it so I stopped wearing this coat to work.  In my non playground supervising life,  being visible is not particularly my goal, but the coat feels lively and cheerful to me and I love wearing it.  I don't wear it for what others will see, I wear it for what I see, what I feel, whatever that magic thing is that red has always done for me.

14 comments:

  1. I love buckles too! Napoleon pose, lol, you just made me giggle! :D I think red is such a lovely, passionate color. People should wear it more, it really stacks up energy, I don't know how it does it! I love your coat, you look more happy in it, indeed ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keit. I'm glad red doesn't overpower me because I do love to wear it but I think there might be a red for everyone if it is carefully selected.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I think red is a powerful colour, I always feel good in my red dresses (I have several for that very reason!) It's a lovely coat. Any outerwear that gets away from black and grey is fine with me!
    I have strong memories about some of my childhood clothing too. Your little outfit sounds so cute! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that perhaps especially for those of us who live in rainy/gray-skied climates a colourful coat feels very cheery! I like a brightly coloured umbrella too.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Red is indeed beautiful on you, Shawna! I enjoyed reading your memories of it. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting, Patti, and for dropping by here to see my coat. :-)

      Delete
  4. pretty red coat!
    you look so happy and comfortable in it. it´s the perfect red for you!
    there is something special with red clothes - when i wear them they lift my mood a lot....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't make a lot of sense, but red is like sunshine for me whereas yellow isn't. I don't look right in yellow and tend not to wear it, though I am rather in love with ochre yellow. I have a yellow purse and an ochre scarf which probably makes me look a bit ill when I wear it but on well.

      Red looks stunning on you. Your colouring is perfect for it. You suit the red lipstick too.

      Delete
  5. Red is such an empowering colour, I always feel ready to conquer the world when I wear it. You look great! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, there is something about it, that's for sure. I am always looking to add more red to my wardrobe. And purple, but that's a whole other post!
      xo

      Delete
  6. There is a lot of dignity in you, Shawna! Your coat is a beauty, and I also love your tall boots. The memories of yourself being 5 y.o., all the little details you remember and the feeling you remember... wow, that is amazing! It does sound like very you kind of outfit, maybe you can find a grown up version of that color combination, including the purse - it sounds really beautiful and powerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all that dignity you see is because I am secretly a princess. You wonder why I have a cousin who is a Russian supermodel, well it's because I am a Russian princess. Secret princesses are always Russian.

      On a more serious note, I am aware that I carry myself in a certain way and have certain mannerisms which people respond to and it always fascinates me how those responses fall into roughly two camps. Some people see ladylike dignity and some see reserve of the more repressed kind. The latter, are the people who don't really know me and how silly I can be or how much I giggle after two glasses of red wine.
      xo

      Delete
  7. I love your red coat Shawna! I posted my red coat recently and have a red jacket that will be in my next post. I think we have some similar tastes in clothes :-) What a sweet story about your mom sewing beautiful clothes for you! It's true, clothes can make us feel confident and comfortable. You look confident and beautiful!! Cute 'Napoleon' pose - lol - very original!!

    ♥ carmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carmen. I scrolled back through your posts and found your red coat in February. It's lovely and just perfect for bringing colour to winter. I do think we might have similar clothing taste. I definitely like what I have seen you wearing on your blog. I don't have a dancer's body, only a dancer's heart but I took ballet as a little girl and still often stand in sixth position.

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.