Sunday, 9 March 2014

Choosing Boyfriends

Boot cut jeans are in again, or so I've read.  I hadn't really been aware that they were out but I'm thrilled to know I am once again fashionable.  The joys of living in a small town include the fact that you really don't have to be fashionable or stylish or wear the local street fashion uniform.  The girl who sells me cat food really doesn't care what I am wearing and neither does the man who sells me books in the second hand shop.  Nor the people working at the gas station nor the ones at the grocery store.  You get the point.

Being a woman of extremes (okay not really but let's pretend I am dramatic and interesting) it suits me well to wear mainly skirts and dresses or jeans.  In fact, I am pretty sure my stylish ways were copied by the Duchess of Cambridge.  Just as we can choose from a variety of hem lengths these days, all considered "in", we can choose from a variety of denim styles.  Have the makers of clothes finally realised they will probably sell more the more choice we have?  What took them so long?

So with denim we can choose boot cut, skinny, super skinny, straight leg and boyfriend and not look out of touch with modern style.  The boyfriend jean had me a bit baffled and initially I had dismissed it as not for me.  The first boyfriends I noticed were ripped and faded and dirty and torn and the only way to make it not look like you just finished gardening and lost a fight with the leaf mulcher, is to dress them up with high heels and a feminine looking top, some noticeable jewelry and a trendy clutch purse.  This look is all over the what I wore today blogs, along with a variation on it: the same stuff but with skinny jeans.  Destroyed is not my style and the other feature of the boyfriend jean, that slouchy slightly over-sized look, meant to suggest you really did slip on a pair of your guy's jeans, well that is not suited to me either.  I had written off boyfriend jeans and then I learned a few things.

What is the definition of a boyfriend jean?  Is it ripped, baggy and rolled?  Well according to my searching online, involving much viewing of images labelled "boyfriend jeans"  the only criteria involved is that they are rolled or cuffed, somewhere above the ankle and below the mid shin.  Otherwise they can be baggy and slouchy or slim fitting, dark denim or distressed denim.  They should be lowish in the rise, as guys do not wear jeans with a high rise unless your boyfriend happens to have held onto all his jeans from the eighties.  Check his closet for parachute pants!  So, lucky me!  I do not have to go with super slouchy, ripped up jeans in order to have a boyfriend.  Pair of jeans that is.

I'm linking up to the Two Birds, Inspiration Monday which uses an  image of Shakira, and I took the challenge to style my boyfriends in a similar way.  I rolled up my jeans et, voila!  Boyfriends.  If I happened to have a very skinny boyfriend that is, and you never know, I could!  I only own one top that even attempts to sparkle, and it doesn't show up in the photo.  Sparkle is really not me but I hauled it out of my closet and put it on.  Black wooly hat?  no problem.  No heels though.  Flats, it is for me!  No edgy leather jacket either so I borrowed from the boyfriend again and   donned the boyfriend cardigan.  Completely in my comfort zone.  Would I wear this outfit outside?  Not really.  I would wear all of it but not the sparkly top.  Just can't do it.  But it was fun to try out the challenge and I've included some pictures of how I would actually leave the house.  I'd definitely wear the hat on a bad hair day, and considering I'm growing out a pixie, I'm bound to have more than a few of those. The cardigan would work too, if it isn't warm enough to go without.


I am also linking up to Visible Monday, hosted by the lovely Patti of Not Dead Yet Style.  In this version of wearing the boyfriends, I am completely  myself and all set for a trip to the cafe to write in my journal or a little perusing of the second hand book stores.  The weather is quite spring like for the time being, so this outfit is perfect. 

Someone isn't really very comfortable in front of the camera but this blogging business is going to change that for her, I think.  She realises she needs to dress this up a little....Best laid plans.....phone needs charging and camera battery needs charging and thus photos must be taken later in poor lighting.

Add a scarf instead of a hat, to deal with growing out hair woes.  Add a belt and fake a sort of peplum thing with that cardigan.  Swap barely visible necklace for bolder one.
Showing off scarf and OOPS there's  cleavage ...am I weird for being really bugged by how the cleavage line doesn't line up with the blouse buttons?


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, Shawna! I wish I could join you for some coffee and book browsing, sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too! You might be able to stop me from buying too many books!

      Delete
    2. Like that would ever happen! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Shush, dear one! Don't give away all my secrets! ;-)

      Delete
  2. those jeans look pretty amazing on you!!! and i say head on out in a little sparkle. but if not, i love that second tunic, as well! thanks for playing along this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I had to go to bed before you had your Monday post set up and then I had to sleep for a looooong time because that's how I do it. I seem to be one of the few bloggers on Pacific Standard time. LOL

      Delete
  3. Oh it's no good me trying to join in with a conversation about jeans! Don't have any, don't wear them, they do nothing for me and I look way better in a skirt of dress. You look fabulous in yours, although they are not at all what I think of a boyfriend cut - but as I said, I know nothing! You've got long legs, so you suit jeans/trousers very well. Me? Short thick-set legs, all the better for being disguised in a frock! Tunic or belted cardigan, hat or scarf, cleavage or no cleavage, you rock all the versions, Shawna!
    And yes, taking photos of yourself for a blog is very good for one's confidence, I have found! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine they are a bit of a boyfriend jean cheat, but if they are selling skinny boyfriends, then why not use the skinnies I already have? I always think of my own legs as thick, and although I am tall my legs aren't particularly long as I carry a lot of my height in the torso. See, we can all pick our bodies apart! I never wear trousers. I hate them . Only jeans but let me tell you, shopping for jeans that one feels okay about is a nightmare so stay with your skirts! You look awesome in them.

      Delete
  4. I think they look cute on you! I have bought them before, and they don't look good on me, as I already have short, thick legs, they make me look stunted! But you are rocking them very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Find an older picture online of dancer/actress Leslie Caron. A dancer with short thick legs who made them look awesome! Compared with the models, mine are thick too! Models have legs like my arms. That's why I don't look good in the slouchy boyfriend jeans.

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.