Thursday, 27 March 2014

Down the Technicolour Rabbit Hole!


Wow.  There is probably no school of creative writing that teaches students to begin with the word 'wow' but it's where I am going to begin.  I have been wandering around the internet for several years, and I've looked at many blogs.  Lately I have blundered into a community of wonderful, kind, compassionate, supportive and stylish women. Every day I am adding new blogs to the list I follow.  I don't even know which one  I started with, but one leads to another eventually.  I have always thought of myself as rather sartorially middle of the road.  I am beginning to think I might be dull.  Horrors! Please, style blogging  introverts don't disappear from the internet because I need to stand among you.  I am surrounded by brightly coloured clothing and tattoos, vibrant red hair, funky bold glasses frames, shoes that are art  and personalities just as colourful.  I feel like a sparrow in a flock of parrots.

Perspective is everything.  I am always saying that and I then I  cringe.    I'd rather say 'compassion is everything' or 'pie is everything' as both of those are much more interesting, but perspective comes up a lot because I am always analysing things and trying to describe things.  Once my mother said to me, "You really like to decorate yourself."  What she really meant was, "you decorate yourself differently from me and in a way I did not expect."  I would imagine this observation was triggered by my having a small stud in my nose and more than one piercing in my ears and a penchant for embroidered maxi skirts.  But don't we all decorate ourselves?  We groom and dress and choose even the most minimal of clothing and footwear based on what appeals to us and what we are comfortable being seen in.  Most of us are saying something with what we wear, even if what we are saying is "I really don't care much about what I wear." Or "I favour comfort."  What others hear us saying may not be what we think we are saying. 

Today I am going to say, "Hey look at this amazing pink sweater I found at the thrift shop!"  And I am going to let the sweater be the star of the show.It doesn't show up well in the photo but there are small beads hand sewn onto it and velvet trim along the cuffs and the front opening.  It fastens with little hooks that are set just inside .  Beads, velvet and embroidery!  Three of my favourite things all in one sweater!

                     
    
For some people this would be just part of a bold ensemble.  For me it is a stand alone piece, something to elevate the jeans and tee shirt and let me pretend I am a spring flower.  The little girls I used to teach would have loved this sweater.  It's very soft and I can imagine how they would have stroked my arm and told me it was pretty.  Remembering that keeps me warm even if the spring weather isn't quite doing that yet. 




16 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful sweater, Shawna! I just love it - the embroidery and beads make it completely out of ordinary. And yes, those little girls would say that YOU are beautiful! And they would be so right! I understand what you mean though. I feel like it too, at times. I mean, look at our blogging friends! Look at Curtise and Vix, and Bella, and Mis Papelicos of course! What brilliant talent they have!
    And yet, even though their outfits are so completely inspiring, and I can spend hours just looking at their posts, their incredible kindness is what makes them really, really unique.
    It almost feels like it had to happen. Do you know what I mean? We had to find each other, all of us. I know I had to.

    I think you have your own vision and your own sense of style. I love it that you love skirts! I almost was going to ship you that skirt with red and purple roses! You are much smaller then me though. :) But that skirt feels like you!
    And I always have this warm feeling when I read your posts. It feels like I know you forever (and in a way, I think we do know each other!). I love your sense of humor. I bet we would be good friends if we lived closer.
    I am getting sleepy now. But I just wanted to thank you... for being you! :)

    And please share your finds with us! We also want to read some cool new blogs! :)


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will happily admire the skirt on you instead, but thank you for such a generous thought! I agree; I'm sure we would be good friends if we lived closer but we are friends now too. I think it is always a good idea to surround oneself with positive and supportive people and I know that such people can be found everywhere. It's amazing how the internet can take us all around the world to find them.
      The blogs I am looking at these days are usually what I find on the blogrolls of the same blogs you are looking at. If I find myself visiting regularly or reading through the archives then I add it to my blogroll which shows up on the right of this page.

      Delete
  2. bold sweater for a little sparrow my dear!
    it´s a very pretty thing. love the bright color - i think i have some sweater envy now. it´s totally legal to wear it with jeans if you feel so. the best thing with this kind of "statement" clothes is one can mix them up with almost everything - and it looks gorgeous every time.
    thank you for the comment on my late winter dress. you always say sooo lovely things. i´m not used to it - germans are mostly stiff lipped and think that beauty is a sin. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sinning every day of your life! How exhausting for you! Personally I try to only sin every other day.
      Considering that my wardrobe is full of black, brown, navy and gray, all of which work with pink, I can indeed do a lot of mixing with that sweater! The embroidery has turquoise and purple, which I also have in my wardrobe. At the moment I am trying to resist wearing the sweater every day! ;-)

      Delete
  3. You really can't go wrong with velvet, beads, and embroidery! I love the sweater, and love it as a stand-alone piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my motto exactly! Thanks for stopping by with your always positive comments. :-)

      Delete
  4. Yes, we do all decorate ourselves, every day. We all get dressed in the morning (at least if we are heading outside our front door!) and the choice we make does communicate something to others. And it also says something about how we feel about ourselves. For me, if I am going to go to the trouble of choosing, buying, washing, ironing, storing, and wearing clothing, they might as well be interesting and make me happy. As Vix says, we are all visible, all the time, so why not give people something different to look at?!
    The pink sweater is so pretty. It's funny you should mention how the little girls at school would have loved it; when I volunteer in the classroom, I have noticed that the children often stroke and point and reach out little fingers towards my clothes and jewellery, it's as thought they are irresistibly drawn! And I like that, it's an instant connection.
    There is no one way to look or dress, is there? No right or wrong answer, just all of us muddling along, making choices, having a go, having fun, playing, keeping warm/cool, and doing as much or as little decorating of ourselves as we see fit. And a brightly coloured embellished cardigan is a beautiful bit of decorating! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to dress with my students in mind quite often, with a colour, a print or a texture they would love. I should not leave out the little boys because they loved such things too. I have never forgotten a little one in kindergarten who loved my black tights. He would run his hand up and down my leg-I was always ready to stop his hand if it was going to go higher than my knee- and he would say "Ohhh black legs. I love black legs." Some of them would give me gifts of earrings or scarves at Christmas or the end of the year. I still have many of those treasures.

      Delete
  5. That is such a beautiful cardi Shawna, I love everything about it.

    You have such a great way with words - I was thinking about my blog today and had no idea when I started it in January that I would be posting photos of myself in my thrifted clothes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have posted some photos of yourself. It's so nice to see a face that goes with the words we read as well as to see the clothes. There is something about photos and the feedback of supportive peers that gives a much better way of seeing ourselves than the mirror does. I'm looking forward to seeing more of you! Well, in clothes I mean. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I'm no ornithologist but you're the most colourful sparrow I've seen yet! Love the cardi and the purple vest worn underneath. Don't compare yourself to others, experiment with what you have and be happy in your own skin. I follow blogs because I like the person behind them, imagining that we can be friends in real life, share a pitcher of cocktails, shop together and have a laugh - you're one of those people! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-I'm a sparrow in disguise. Or one of the fancier sparrows with a bit of colour on its head. I know just what you mean about being attracted to the blogs where you feel you would like to be friends with the person. I'm all for pitchers of cocktails and shopping. Will we shop before or after we get drunk? Thanks for all the lovely messages you leave on my blog. I always look forward to them! xo

      Delete
  7. Very smart post, Shawna. Very smart, indeed, and on several levels. You look pretty smart in your pretty pink cardigan. Smart, too, to allow it to take center stage!
    I'm so glad you are out and about in the bloggy world. We're all impressed with you, too.
    Have you read "The Thoughtful Dresser" by Linda Grant? I think you might enjoy it a lot. It's not a how-to book. It's about what we're thinking when we dress, what we're saying and why clothing is so important to us on some deeper levels. Not at all dry, not academic but heart and historically accurate. I was so sorry I finished it. There's a copy we've circulated around a bit, and it may be in a local library. It's certainly on Amazon. If you've already read it, I'd love to know what you think about it!
    Nifty post, young lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say! I am glad I am out and about too and so glad I found such lovely people. I haven't read The Thoughtful Dresser but am now quite intrigued. I need another book like I need another of the proverbial holes in my head, being the proud possessor of holes both naturally occurring and artificially created. But if I really like a book I like to keep it in my collection and this sounds like one I'd like. Amazon here I come!
      I don't get called "young lady" very often-oh wait, NEVER! Please feel free to do it again. My 47th birthday would be a good time.
      xo
      xo

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you, Marianna and thanks for stopping to read and leave a comment. I've had a peek at your blog and I see that you are both beautiful and fun loving and I have yet to see anyone who looks so good in a big red nose.

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.