Wednesday, 19 March 2014

I Like my Peanut Butter Creamy and my Shoes Chunky!

This post actually has nothing to do with peanut butter, but I did just eat some and I do love it!

Many of us have certain ideas about how we want to look in our clothing, and we are likely to be influenced by a variety of things, including what we believe or have been told is not suited to our body type.  Many of us are trying or hoping to look taller, thinner, or curvier according to our culture's ideals and whatever it is we perceive to be lacking or flawed in our own bodies.  There are rules for footwear too, depending on the appearance of our legs, feet and ankles, though there is no reason at all that we have to follow these rules. It depends on your goal.  I have found there is conflicting advice out there anyhow and it's better to figure out for yourself what you feel you look your best in and what makes you happy to wear.

When it comes to shoes for my own feet, it is my opinion that I am more suited to chunky ones.  Delicate shoes just don't seem to suit me, and that isn't based on any rule I am aware of but simply what looks right to my eye.  I'm sure there are experts with opinions on whether or not chunky shoes are right for me but it's unlikely that I care.  If we all followed the rules wouldn't we only ever be wearing nude coloured pumps with a low cut vamp and four inch heels, or a black version of that in winter with our black tights?  Since it seems one's legs can never be long enough or thin enough, those would be the best footwear options.

My preferred shoes don't do much to elongate the legs, might possibly draw attention to my thick ankles, might look frumpy or matronly or just not be even remotely sexy.   I like them sensible, I like them comfortable,  I like them a bit chunky.  I love hiking boots, combat boots and motorcycle boots.  I have possibly never met boots I didn't love.  Doc Martens, Clarks, Birkenstocks, neither of them bring to mind sex appeal but them I rather like believing I can run and do cartwheels and jump off tree stumps the way I did as a little girl. 

I don't have much of a budget for new footwear this spring and I definitely don't need anything, but here are a few that caught my eye while "window shopping" online.  
                                Source
                              Source

                                 Source

                              Birkenstocks found here

                                      Source

Who doesn't want velvet high tops in these jewel tones?
                                   Source

                              Source

                          And although these are only shown in black, if they also come in brown I want one of each colour to span the seasons.  Purple would be nice too.  Everything is nice in purple.
                                    Source

I have no experience or affiliation with nor any knowledge of any of the vendors I have linked to.  I have only been browsing and dreaming.



18 comments:

  1. i love your reasoning for what you love...who cares what other people think??? i personally love a super tall heel, but i also think i would love to climb hills and jump off rocks!! i love those wooden platform sandals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can rationalise anything! ;-) I think heels look gorgeous, I just don't like to wear them. So I admire them on other people instead.

      Delete
  2. Long live chunky! :D I love chunky! Chunky is the most comfy and pretty shoe in my opinion!
    I hate heels, they make me resent I was born a woman :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire the high heeled shoes as works of art, or at least some of them, but I don't like wearing them. We are lucky we have options that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! I think chunky shoes are going to be better for you for the most part, and you like them, so have at it! I am a fan of both (just like peanut butter!) Those first ones are CUTE and perfect for warmer weather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the first ones so much! I am pretty nervous about buying things online though.

      Delete
  4. The first pair and the fifth pair for me, please!
    I've never held with what suits or what's good for my body shape. I buy what makes me feel happy and wear it regardless. I think someone who loves their wardrobe looks far more attractive than someone who slavishly follows the rules, its all about confidence, isn't it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are my favourites too. I probably had shoes like the first ones when I was a little girl, but I don't mind revisiting that at all and I love the floral pattern on them! Yes! individual style is so much more interesting than being a slave to fashion and clothes from the thrift shop so much more fun!

      Delete
  5. The clog-like sandals are fabulous, I'd love a pair of those. I tend to agree with you, Shawna, I have quite big, flat feet and they just look ridiculous in slim-fitting strappy thin-heeled shoes. Chunky all the way! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have rather delicate feet but they seem unsuited to the rest of my body so I fee I have to chunk them up with the shoes. I am so tempted by those floral Doc M sandals I think I might have talked myself into them soon.

      Delete
  6. Oh I love chunky shoes! Almost any shoes can look sexy, it also depend on styling, but if you love them and feel comfortable in them - than that was makes them extra hot! Do you know Style Sud Est from Montreal? She wears almost exclusively Doc Martens, and she always looks very sexy, in my opinion! :) Stilettos are very feminine and hot, of course... but I almost never can find a comfortable pair for my wide feet, and I for sure will not suffer for fashion, that's just silly. I want clothes and shoes in which I enjoy living. I have one pair of stilettos, and they are comfy, but only for a short period at a time. :)

    I love the first sandals and the colored "keds" (I wonder if they are heavy or not?). Have you tried Dansko? I have two pairs, and I am very happy with them (I practically lived in one pair this past winter).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The velvet high top ones are Superga-a brand I have only recently heard about. I doubt they are good for damp weather, being velvet. Hightops for your formal ball gowns. I know of Danskins but have not worn any. I think our local shoe store may have them so I should give them a try. I have narrow heels but regular width for the ball of the foot. Fit is a bit tricky. I will check out Style Sud Est! Thanks for the tip. I am still discovering lots of blogs. I would be really tempted to buy the floral Docs online but I am not sure about size. They would be a total splurge but I do have a birthday in a few months. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. The good thing about online shopping is that you can always return if they don't fit right. (But I am usually lazy about returns. :) ) Dansko might not be for your feet then as they tend to be really wide, some of them even too wide for me. There is also Fashionable Bureaucrat (also from Canada), check her out for chunky shoes, I like her choices.

    I got confused. I thought you are from Vancouver the city, but you re from the Island. How cool! Are you originally from the island? Do you ever get "cabin fever"? I have never lived on an island, and we are seriously considering one for our next home and checking it out at the moment. I love it, and it is just next to Seattle, so I probably shouldn't worry about "fever", as I can be in city just in 30 minutes, and walk and walk and walk... I miss walking. Suburbs are not designed for walking at all. Comfy shoes will be much needed then. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm from a small town on the island and I grew up here, though I did leave for about ten years. It's a beautiful place, though if you are used to a city you would feel a bit isolated. Victoria is a nice city though not as large as Vancouver. It's a different sort of city. I love to visit the city but would not want to live in one. A small town is a bit like being in the suburbs though, and there is not much shopping you can walk to. You can walk for pleasure though, just winding your way through the neighbourhoods and parks. I don't feel isolated on the island, perhaps because it is a very large island so there are lots of places to visit and I am not accustomed to easy access to the city anyhow. Most of the time I am not even aware of being on an island, ( and I haven't gone off the island in about 4 years ) though I am certainly aware of being on the coast as I see the water out my windows every day. Are you thinking of Whitby Island? I'm not sure how to spell it and too lazy to look it up. I have not been there but what I've seen on tv looks beautiful.
      That was a very long and rambling way of saying, No, I never get cabin fever. As far as I'm concerned the poor people on the mainland are missing out by not being here on the island.

      Delete
    2. I am so happy for you! It is soooo important to love the place where you live! Our heart is with Bainbridge... it is one of the very first places we have ever visited as we came to the Seattle area, then it became a place where we would visit our dearest friend Libby, and I somehow felt that some day we would also live there... I guess this day has come! Justin and I are both small town kids, but we grew up within 1 hour of a big city (different cities, of course) and love to have "the best of both worlds". I don't think I would want to live in a big city though. Too much crowd, too noisy... I love quiet. Where we live now, is beautiful and I have Puget Sound views of my windows too. I love it! But I need a sense of a caring community which I totally lost here, or maybe it never was here. BI is amazing in that sense. It's a beautiful place to be where people really care about everything... And they have a lovely village for shopping and walking too. And of course, parks, woods, beaches... It's amazing, really. But I have never lived on an island before, and I sometimes get a bit nervous about it. :)

      Delete
  9. I'm with you when it comes to footwear! I swear by my Docs, they are the most comfortable footwear on earth!

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you find Docs fit? I mean, are they inclined to be true to size or a bit small or a bit large?

      Delete
  10. I have been searching the internet for a Canadian source of those Jocelyn sandals in tan with little flowers. No luck so far.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.