Monday, 3 March 2014

Resting Bitch Face and how to Decorate it.

Hi, my name is Shawna and I have resting bitch face.  I have had resting bitch face my whole life and was getting awfully tired of people asking why I was mad or sad.  "I'm fine", I would say with an irritated and emphatic tone.  "This is just my neutral face."  I got so irritated by it I attempted to cultivate a little Mona Lisa smile, which when translated to my face simply gives my mouth the appearance of a straight line instead of the usual slight downward curve.  I allow my face to rest in bitch mode at home, but when out in public I now put on my Mona Lisa face.  Then came Grumpy Cat and I thought, well if she can look like that and be celebrated, why can't I?

I'm not one for wearing much makeup and I frequently wear none at all.  I understand the joy of painting one's face and the artistic expression that can be involved in it.  But aside from not liking the feel of makeup on my face, having to worry about what seasonal allergies are doing to my eye makeup and being too lazy to want to check on and touch up any makeup throughout the day, I have just given up on facial decoration of the colourful kind.  And then came grunge.  Or rather, grunge came back.

In the first go round I was immersed in being a mother and there was nothing cute about mummy grunge. I was barely aware of the look or trend other than having heard the term a few times. Seeing it now I feel almost sad that I missed out on it.  How cute is a baby doll dress with army boots!  I will pass on the baby doll dress, which on my tall frame would only look like I'd forgotten to put a skirt on with my blouse.  But maybe grunge makeup is just right for someone who is lazy and has resting bitch face.

The goal of grunge makeup is a day after look.  The day after partying all night, sleeping who knows where and waking up around 3pm looking like this.
                              source: The Gloss

Courtney Love, the Grunge Queen, was the real deal.  But I am only talking about faking it, folks.  Nobody is going to believe I was partying all night.  They would, however, believe I was sleeping all night and half the day, and sleeping in your makeup is essentially how to achieve the grunge look. There's a bit of similarity with goth and grunge, both requiring a pale face and heavy makeup.  Pale face comes naturally to me.  Easily done!  Lots of  makeup would be a new direction.  So I searched for some tutorials and images.

                                        source

                                   source

Haute Grunge:  I just rolled out of bed but can't forget my Chanel Bag!
                                     source
                                     source

Well, my hair is quite short, but I have decided to let it grow and I'm not sure what I intend to do with it.  That should take care of the messy look for awhile.  My biggest challenge is piling on the eye makeup.  My first attempt gave me what everyone else in the world of makeup calls "the natural look".  Here is the second attempt.  Grunge eyes, bitch face, boyfriend hoodie.
Okay, you're right.  I'd better go back to my usual look.
This is my version of grunge.  No makeup, comfy tee shirt, didn't brush my hair, just hanging out at  home with my books, face decorated with glasses. 
Even Courtney has moved on from grunge to the natural look.
I guess I'll just stick with what I'm good at, which is being myself.  I'm still growing out my hair some though.


Note:  Grunge makeup is successfully removed with coconut oil.




8 comments:

  1. haha...i laughed at the i just got out of bed but i have a chanel bag comment. your natural look is beautiful, stick with it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I guess I'm just naturally clean. ;-) Don't we all roll out of bed and reach for our Chanel bag?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a resting bitchface too! I rather like your grungey makeover, but I'm guessing it just doesn't feel like you; all that smokey eye business is fine for photo shoots, but I'm not convinced that black make up halfway down your face is great for an every day look!
    Surely Courtney's "natural" look has been achieved via surgical intervention, hasn't it? xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-surgical intervention, a makeup artist and photo shop! I would do a smokey eye if I were going out at night but since that happens about never, my day look is just au naturel. Maybe a swipe of pink tinted lip balm. The cat thinks I'm gorgeous just as I am. ;-)

      Delete
  4. fun read! :-)
    since your "Saying Goodbye to the Teacher" post i was thinking that it would be gorgeous when your hair is longer....
    and - i slept my whole life in my makeup. still. hubby is used to the panda bear look at the breakfast table ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have worn my hair long and short and in between. I'm never happy. When I have one I want the other.
    So, basically, you are an outdoorsy, power sander wielding, dirndl wearing grunge girl. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have a resting bitch face which is really scary ... if I came across my own resting bitch face I would be scared!!!! I am very pale and my grey hair doesn't help much so I am compelled to wear make-up most days as without it I look really ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read somewhere that many women develop a softer, warmer colouring as they age and that gray hair doesn't complement this well. So far my hair is actually darkening with age. I wonder if you had a softer, warmer tint put into your hair you might not always feel you have to wear makeup. Just a thought. :-)

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.