Tuesday, 25 March 2014

Some Thoughts on Stockings, Magazines and Trends


I am absolutely a magazine addict.  I love magazines and  I read a lot of them.  I also love magazines for just looking at the pictures.  It's something that occupies me when the M.E.  has taken over my brain and I can't focus very well.  When  that happens I can't read the things I would normally read, I can't write and I can't create any art.  I'm not much inclined to watch television.  I do use the internet as entertainment and there are blogs and websites and Pinterest to give me the equivalent of magazines, but I still love magazines, turning the actual pages, holding it in my hands and reading it while lying down.   After all, I can't take my laptop into the bathtub!  I read serious magazines and frivolous magazines.  I love them all but the fashion magazines and the shelter magazines have those damn trendy things in them and trends can be irksome.


Even worse than a season full of fashion trends I dislike, is when there are things I really do like.  Then I have to decide if I can tolerate looking like I cared and ran out and bought the latest trend.  In fact I am a bit more inclined to run out and buy whatever has been just declared so over because I'm a bit contrary by nature.  (I mean, are hair scrunchies really so bad?)  So with that in mind, I perused the hosiery section at the drugstore recently thinking, well if nude tights, as they call them in the UK, or pantyhose as we call them here, are so horrible and unthinkable and not done such that  Cosmopolitan and Glamour magazine fashion editors would recommend against them, then perhaps I want to consider wearing them again.  According to Voguepedia (I had no idea there was such a thing until just now) nude tights went out of fashion in 1994 when designers stopped showing them on the runways.  Perhaps it was too difficult having to worry about S.A.

                       Source

For those of us who are not runway models or who don't live in Florida or California or any other nice warm place in the world for that matter, bare legs with skirts and dresses is just not always an option.  In winter I wear opaque black tights but we are entering that transition season, where I want to start wearing less black, and yet totally bare legs get a little bit too chilly.  Since I'm old enough to remember once having worn pantyhose, I also remember that they did have a slight ability to keep my legs warm, which is the very reason I rarely wore them in summer.  So I examined the packages of pantyhose and stay up stockings with interest and did what I always do with hoisery, I read the size chart on the back.   Apparently anyone my height, which happens to be 5'9.25" and weight, which happens to be 165 lbs, does not exist.  I could be shorter and heavier, or taller and lighter.

I was so amazed to find out that I did not exist that I put the package back on the shelf, stunned, and confused and walked away.  But I have not given up on this idea just yet.  Stockings look old-ladyish some say.  No, say, I.  Only when they are beige, opaque, the texture of a tensor bandage and baggy around your ankles.  My quest is not over.  I am determined to get through spring with a pair of sheer black and transition to sheer nude stockings (not fake sun tan coloured) and I am determined to find some that acknowledge my size.  I will probably pay an arm and a leg, or perhaps through the nose, which sounds even more painful than losing arms and legs, and then get a run in them immediately upon wearing them.  Stay tuned for my rant about how the makers of stockings ought to be forced to watch endless reruns of Justin Bieber videos.

                                                    * * *

 A random thing:  Who knew Quakers made stockings?  I thought they only made oatmeal
                                        Source

I stumbled across this blog while doing internet research on stockings.  If you like vintage clothes, sewing your own clothes and the history of clothing, you might want to check it out.
http://wearinghistoryblog.com/category/stockings/

Source for Chatelaine and The Walrus magazine covers featured at the top of the page:http://blog.magazine-awards.com/tag/magazine-covers/
http://www.flare.com/
http://houseandhome.com/

10 comments:

  1. i find most stockings/pantyhose itchy. the opaque tights are usually o.k., but the thinner, sheer stuff makes me wish to get them off asap. . kind of long legged like you and much skinnier in my youth then now i bought always pantyhose or tights in huge sizes to get the length. with stay up stockings i had a problem - guess what?
    but since years i wear cotton knee high socks for transition, with my skirts covering the knees its perfect. or 3/4 long leggings which are not visible under the skirts - and bobby socks. or long thin cotton leggings with bare feet.
    and much earlier then the most i turn to bare legs.
    keep us updated about your pantyhose/stocking hunt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weren't we all much skinnier in youth? LOL. Or at least many of us! I will go bare legged after April but I need something for that one month period that isn't opaque black! I should be able to find a brand that offers a tall size. Sometimes the queen size (plus size) works too, as I can take up the extra fabric in the length. I am also looking for a source of 3/4 long leggings. Knee socks are rarely actually knee height on me.
      xo

      Delete
  2. I don't ever buy or read magazines, they are so damn expensive and I am not in the least bothered about celebrity interviews or fashion trends!
    Being relatively tall (5'8") I have long since learnt that One Size tights will never fit me, and it is always better to size up if that option exists - nothing worse than a pair of tights where the crotch only reaches to mid-thigh... I love wearing tights throughout winter, and since the UK's climate is unpredictable, tights weather can extend into all the seasons! I know what you mean about black, it feels good to break out and have other options, which is where coloured and patterned tights come in. Fishnets too, nude or coloured. I have some sparkly purple lurex ones which Vix gave me, I adore them! I have a huge tights collection, and I heartily recommend trying different colours. I don't get on with stockings though, and stay ups rarely do, in my experience! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magazines are indeed pricey but they are one of my indulgences and there are certainly worse vices to have! LOL I never could wear one size fits all tights either. These ones I looked at were not. They had four different sizes, but didn't include me. Some brands offer a Tall size and even the Queen size (plus size) works as I can just take up the extra size in length. But I have to hunt down a brand being sold locally that offers this. If I can can get a tall size in the thigh high stay ups I should be okay. They have worked for me in the past. If not I will make due with nude tights. I rarely find coloured tights available in a tall size. They are generally the ones most like to come in that ridiculous 'one size fits all'. After April I don't mind going bare legged.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Shawna, it was funny to read that you found out that you do not exist and need to be shorter and heavier or taller and lighter. :) I can assure you that being shorter and heavier doesn't always help, the sizing is quite questionable in my experience. Like Curtise, I discovered the joy of colorful tights. I am not sure why, but I don't want to go back to nude tights. I guess I wore them too much when I was younger (before 1994 :))). Last year, I bought green, purple and patterned red tights (as well as black, brown and heather grey). It was so fun to have options! I am looking for other colors now, but didn't have good luck with my size so far. I really would like to get yellow, blue teal, floral tights... I am also discovering the joy of light cotton leggings, and thinking to buy a few colored ones. Remember our conversation about boho style? I like it and will experiment with it soon I think... And yes, we need something for a month or two to keep our legs warm other than black tights and pants! But I am also thinking about summer and such a thing as chafing (is that a right word?). I thought that cotton leggings would be one of my solutions.

    I read Architectural Digest and sometimes cottage style magazines, love those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have checked really carefully and I'm certain I do exist! While I admire coloured tights on other people I am not sure if they are right for me. I tend to like my legs neutral. Also, I have never seen coloured tights in a tall size but perhaps I will have another look. I will go into Target and see what they have. Yes, chafing is the right word. It's definitely something to avoid! The only summer solution to that is to get so hot and sweaty that your thighs stick together and then you hobble around doing a penguin walk. ;-)
      I deliberately featured Canadian magazines but I do also read others. I used to buy cottage style magazines and lots of gardening magazines but now that I live in a condo that is sort of torturing myself so I don't anymore.

      Delete
  4. I don't read magazines, I get annoyed by the colour supplement which comes free with The Guardian. They just exist to make us feel inadequate and to to to part with our money.
    I don't own tights in either black or flesh colour, its colour all the way, always opaque and always at least 60 denier. As Curtise says, the weather here can be so unpredictable I've worn them in August. I'm a short arse so kids' tights are fine and VAT free! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some magazines are definitely trying to convince us we are flawed adn can fix it if we spend spend spend. I'm pretty good at ignoring that and I also read magazines that are news or science periodicals and they are quite different. I think that in some sort of perverse way I like to look at the fashion mags and think hah you can't make me buy that dress/lipstick/lotion/handbag!
      My climate is similar to yours though a cold day in August would probably just make me grab my jeans. You do look tiny in your photos. I wondered. My ex sister in law has such small feet she can buy girls' shoes. It's funny, even when I was a child I only wore navy blue or brown tights. I may have to do some experimenting. Thanks for dropping by.
      xo

      Delete
  5. Interesting...my parents just became Quakers, I will have to ask my mom if she wears those! Have you ever thought about nude lace stockings? (Ish, I hate the word stocking)....they are stylish and not black! Longest link ever, but here's a cute pair! (I didn't check sizes.)
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/176647389/nude-lace-stockings-fishnet-net-tights?ref=sr_gallery_5&ga_search_query=nude+lace+stockings&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link! I have been thinking about nude lace or fishnet, only wondering if I would ruin them even faster.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.