Friday, 21 March 2014

The Cockles of my Heart are Warm

Once upon a time a young supermodel was preparing to go out shopping.  She was going to the thrift shops of course and she was very excited.  It's the first day of spring, today, she thought.  I should wear a floral skirt to celebrate.  So she put on her favourite floral skirt and a sweater she knew would go well with it and then in a proper tribute to spring she clad her feet in shoes instead of boots.  She looked something like this.

But this would not do.  No this outfit completely lacked imagination, with her ubiquitous shapeless sweater, skirt and tights combination.  (She likes that word ubiquitous because it sounds smart) She wanted to push her boundaries and try something else.  So she sat and thought.  She put her thinking cap on and then, realised, That's it!  Maybe this outfit needs a hat!
She summoned up her baddest, boldest hattitude.
But somehow in the process she lost her feet.
Oh dear, she cried.  What am I to do?  It must be the fault of this baggy sweater.  I must try again.  I must not give up.
She thought hard and she mangled her hat.  Finally she had an idea and she put on this and it was almost perfect.
She liked the belt but knew that it had a tendency to fall off.  The alternative did not please her as much but at least the belt would stay on.
So off she went, but poor dear, her troubles were not over.  As she got into her car she realised she had not eaten and was feeling a bit peckish.  Remembering the stash of energy bars in her glove compartment, she rummaged around and got one out.  Unwrapping it as she drove, which is a very bad habit and you must not imitate her, she found as she tried to bite into it that it was frozen and quite hard.  Nothing comes between me and my Calvin's, I mean Clif Bar she declared sexily, and stuffed it under her thigh to warm it up on the way into town.

Alas, as hot as her thighs are, this did not quite do the trick and she was forced to leave the bar on the sunny dash board while she perused the fashions in the first thrift shop.  She emerged half an hour later with two skirts and an even bigger hunger.  She ate two Clif Bars.  She is not endorsing Clif Bars.  They happen to be her son's favourite and so she had some on hand.  She does, however highly recommend the peanut butter one and if Clif is looking for a spokesmodel she is available.

On to more shops where she tried on many skirts and blouses and pondered unusual purses which she did not need and tried on some boots that pinched.  She gleefully scooped up a brand new, labels still attached, leather jacket and fear not, she even paid for it.  Then her shoe broke.  The strap broke off the shoe and rendered the shoe most difficult to keep on her foot.  This was a perplexing problem because she liked these shoes, but they were old and they were cheap so really even if they could be repaired, which she doubted, it would not be worth it.  But alas the thrift shop had not offered up any suitable shoes and those boots really did pinch.

She paid for her selections and, gripping her shoe with her toes to keep it from flying off with each step, she made her way back to her car imagining the swoons of rapture from her new blogging friends when she showed off her purchases.  What did our intrepid super model do next, dear reader?  Well she drove to the shoe store, of course.  Alas, there were no shoes resembling any such as she dreamed about and the store seemed to have suddenly decided to specialize in wide width, which would fall off her foot just as readily as any broken shoe.  Then she spotted the boots.  Ah boots, how they warm the cockles of her heart.   She likes that word cockles and hopes that it isn't rude because she thinks sometimes her mother reads her blog.  Better yet, the boots were on sale.  And goodness me, vanity sizing seems to have extended to footwear now and she fit into a size she hasn't worn since she was eleven.  How delightful.

Our tired but satisfied super model wore those new boots out of the store.  She paid for them of course.  She is a very honest and law abiding super model.  When she got home that day, she looked rather different from how she'd looked when she left.  In fact she looked like this.
The Fonz would be envious.



Disclaimer:  As a fledgling, sometime style blogger, I realise I am expected to list the make and source of my garments.  Hah!  Well I will try my best but really, you will laugh.
Boots-ZigiSoho (I know, I've never heard of them either but they are real leather and were on sale and I like them.); tights-who knows, they will have been in a bargain bin and marked 'tall'; skirt-Reitman's brand (thrifted); tee shirt-Warehouse One; sweater-no label (thrifted); hat-Winners; vest-Woolrich (local boutique Sylvie's)...it's a bit too big-needs to be altered, might be worth it; belts-Target; shoes-they are old and they broke.  Who cares?
earrings which you can't even see-gift

See, it really wasn't worth knowing all that, was it?


12 comments:

  1. lol! Well at least you got a good story out of it! I really like the jacket and the boots! I think that they are just what you needed for this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that you have re-worked the outfit brilliantly. Great skirt, and the new boots and leather jacket are fabulous! Shame about your shoes...
    PS. You don't have to list where your stuff came from, it isn't a Blogging Law or anything. I just like to show that I shop secondhand and keep my costs right down, while hopefully looking reasonably OK! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! LOL about the listing sources. I know I don't have to-just thought I would make a point about why I don't bother. I agree that it's fun to show people what can be bought second hand!
      xo

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, your thrifting adventured resemble mine, only I can't drive and usually my sister's boyfriend drives us to the nearest shop :D
    I love the new ensemble, that leather jacket is bad ass! I rarely put source links too. I just write : EVERYTHING THRIFTED and hope no one gets upset over it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am totally badass. Yep, that's me. Keit you must learn to drive. Every woman should know how to drive. Cars are a pain and expensive but they also represent a lot of freedom and you never know when you might need the skill. Okay, lecture over, just having a mum moment there.
      xo

      Delete
  4. haha - very entertaining!

    thank you for your lovely comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome. I only ever say things I mean.

      Delete
  5. Hilarious! The reworking of the outfit came out brilliantly, you look fab.
    Even though 99.9% of everything I wear is second hand if I don't say where its from I'll get an email demanding to know. its not like anyone could go into a charity shop and find the same thing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be mighty surprised if much of my wardrobe generated questions about where and how to get it. LOL. But I do have a few things which get me stopped in the street. Your outfits are amazing and your style is your own. That's one if the great things about buying second hand clothes.

      Delete
  6. How enjoyable it was to meet Supermodel again! I am so happy that she had such wonderful adventures, and hope to read many more adventures of hers. :)

    Glad that you found booties you like! You transformed your look completely with them and the leather jacket. And the jacket was still new - wow, that's a great find indeed! I am looking forward to more pictures of you, Shawna - all your wardrobe is pretty much new to me, so go ahead and post away! :) Hugses (another little Anya's word)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am rather over the moon for finding a brand new leather jacket that actually fits me. I have to admit it looks best when worn undone so it's perhaps not the most practical thing, though a good transitional piece for the price.
      All my wardrobe is pretty much new to me too. LOL
      Hugses right back. I love Anya's words.
      xo

      Delete
  7. Hilarious, Shawna! The final reworked outfit has a pretty/ bad girl paradox that I really like - the floral skirt vs. the amazing thrifted jacket and the lace-up boots. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.