Monday, 31 March 2014

What Was I Thinking?

I admit I can get carried away at the thrift shops.  We don't have many good ones, which probably helps keep me under control, but sometimes I come home with things I love and have no plans for.   It might be something like a glasses case I will never use because my glasses are always on my face.  I actually bought it thinking it might make a good case for my pens and pencils but I think it's a bit too short for my pencils, at least until I have worn them down more.  No matter, I like how it looks sitting on my table.
I confess that sometimes I come home with clothing items I cannot wear, either thinking I will alter them or simply because I like the fabric and am thinking I will make cushions.  How many cushions do I need?  That must be the voice of my ex husband creeping into my head because of course there is no such thing as too many cushions!

 I was sorting through my bins of fabric, which also contain some clothing items and I came across some pieces which really do make me scratch my head and ask myself 'what was I thinking?'  I have some dresses that are too small. I need to buy bigger for my bust and then have them altered but even then the waistline of a dress is usually in the wrong spot since I am taller than average.  Sometimes I buy them thinking I will take them apart and just make a skirt from them.  I have done this exactly ZERO times.  But there is still one I am determined to work on. 

I also have an attraction to salwar kameezes due to the fabric and embroidery on them.  They are never in my size though.  I honestly don't know if they are silk or a high quality polyester type fabric but I suspect silk.  There is a slight roughness to the fabric like a raw silk.  So I find myself with a dress that won't fit and a salwar kameez that won't go on over my bust but could hold two of me in the pants.  I am tempted to take the pants to a tailor and see if they can be reworked into harem pants that fit me but we know I will never actually do that, don't we?

Free to a Good Home: Shawna's 'What Was I Thinking?'  Purchases

They are all a bit wrinkled, having been folded up and stored in a plastic bin for awhile.  I would have modeled them for you but, really, you don't want to see that!  If you think you would wear any of these or would like them for the fabric just let me know and I suppose I will go with first come first serve.  If nobody wants them they will go back to the thrift shop.

The top of this outfit makes a lovely dress.  It is  labelled by the thrift shop as size Medium, and is custom made so there isn't a label.  It fits me relatively well only is too tight across the bust and I wear a US size 12 dress most of the time sometimes having to size up for better fit in the top.  If you want the pants I will send those too.



I also have a really cute, homemade vintage look summer shift dress which is too small in the top for me but seems otherwise to be a US size 12.  I also find it a bit high/tight under my arms.  It is nicely sewn but unfinished with some of the seams  still in very neat basted stitches.   It's unlined but a nice quality cotton and goes quite nicely with my decor.


This one has slits up the side that are quite high and is obviously meant to be worn with pants as well but they didn't come with it. It fits me generously but looks a bit weird and is not my colour.  I bought it for the fabric but honestly I won't get around to doing anything with it.  I'd say it is a size 14/16 US.  It's a patterned sheer overlay on top of a solid fabric. Cat not included.


14 comments:

  1. That's an adorable glasses case! I too buy things which just make me happy to look at. I love such splashes of colors and patterns around my home... I would wear the first dress + pants (green one) in a heartbeat! It is simply gorgeous. I didn't know their proper name until I read it here. And I doubt that I will remember. :) But unfortunately, too small. Well, maybe pants are not so small. :))) But the dress is. It's a pity you can't wear it. You would look very nice in these colors I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I would wear them too and obviously thought that my boobs were going to magically shrink and that I would be able to wear them. The pants and the other one were supposed to make fancy cushions. Hah! Not going to happen. Oh well. Flaunting my mistakes publicly should teach me a lesson, no? ;-)
      xo

      Delete
  2. Well they are all lovely fabrics ... so I can see why you bought them. Unfortunately I don't think they're my size either ... but I'm sure you'll get some takers.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-don't know if I will get any takers or not, but I thought it would be a good lesson for me if I publicly admitted my mistakes. If anybody who really wants any of them does say so in the next few days I would happily mail them though.
      xo

      Delete
  3. It is hard not to get carried away and buy absolutely everything that takes your fancy when its cheap and you can afford it all. I think blogging has a lot to answer for, too. I'm sure lots of bloggers buy stuff they don't really need for something to blog about.
    Whilst the majority of my purchases are for resale I've learnt to think carefully behind handing over the cash, envisage how it will look on my website, hanging on the rail and if I can imagine someone actually wearing it. I'm selling, not curating!
    Your giveaways are lovely and I want to see more of your cat! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am having such troubles functioning I should not be allowed online at the moment.
      When I bought those items I was somehow hoping my boobs would magically shrink and that if I stared at them in my closet long enough they would fit me. Except for those pants. Those, I simply imagined making green silk cushions. The same with the gold piece. But that is not going to happen. I am sure I will end up just re-donating them back to the thrift shop.
      Not staring at the boobs. Staring at the dresses. I should not write things on the internet when sleep deprived.
      xo

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, those pants are killer! :D I do like the glasses case- vintagy! :D
    I've had bad shopping experiences like you and very often too! :D
    I always think like "Sure this looks like a rag and it doesn't fit me, but with some alterations it's gonna look guuuud". And then I completely forget about it and it stays in a huge nylon sack for months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, alterations-haha! I have such crazy thoughts too. Or cushions. I am always thinking of cushions. I think I need therapy for that.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! Oh, I think we have always come home with things that we did not need because it was such a great deal at the time :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we all do it. Some of mine are a little more forehead slapping than others.
      xo

      Delete
  7. I can totally understand you! I also often think it does not fit and what occasion should I wear THIS? Probably never, but I need to have it. I just had to nod several times. Thank you for this wonderful blog post. There was a lot of fun to read it.

    have a wonderful week
    greetings from Germany
    Dana :)

    http://danalovesfashionandmusic.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana. I think most of us thrift shoppers do that. I'm airing my dirty laundry by admitting it and showing photos. LOL
      Hugs

      Delete
  8. Yes, I am also guilty of buying things that aren't right because they are really cheap! I'm getting better at being selective, though. The floral dress is cute, love the print and bright colours.
    Love the sneaky peek of fluffy cat! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So I can't interest you in some jumbo green pants? Surely they would make nice cushions, no? LOL Fluffy cat often photo bombs, the way cats do. I want a dressmaker's dummy just so I can dress it up in the clothes I can't wear. I would put that little floral dress on it and just admire it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.