Saturday, 5 April 2014

I'm a Little bit Crunchy And I'm a Little Bit Rock and Roll


                                   Source


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AfXznngjGw
My apologies to Donny and Marie for the title of this post.

I'm linking up to Visible Monday over at Not Dead Yet Style, since my most recent post doesn't have any outfits.  Sad, I know.

Where I come from, to say someone is crunchy is to call them a hippie of the '70s kind, settled down onto a nice commune somewhere making their own everything and of course making homemade granola because they are into 'health food'.  It's the granola that is crunchy.  I don't eat granola anymore, nor do I make it  though I once did.  I confess to owning one or two tie-dyed items of clothing.  I shave my legs as often as the next woman, armpits too, though some friends once told me I was a few armpit hairs away from being granola.  I wasn't even wearing Birkenstocks at the time either.  Sheesh!

But I also have a thing for black leather and buckles.  I think I am working on a personal style called Hippie Librarian Goes to a Rock Concert.  I'm sure it could work.

And so......

I was very excited to see spring weather showing up in my little corner of Canada, which is already the mildest part of the country anyhow so I suppose I can't complain......much.  But typically of spring, after being teased with some warm sunny days we are back to some cold, windy and rainy drech.  I had excitedly arranged a selection of warmer weather outfits, pondering which would be the special one I'd wear on Friday, because once a month I meet up with my dear friend Sheila and we have a coffee and chat and share a bit of the writing we are doing.  It's a writer's group of two because we are not really big group people.  With just the two of us we have a place of trust and safety, as well as a good excuse to regularly get together.  The meet up was postponed at the end of March and pushed up to April 4 and I suddenly found that the outfit I had prepared was not going to be warm enough.

Then I remembered that I had a new to me black leather jacket.  Although I had put my black boots at the back of my closet, telling myself I was done with black until autumn, I changed my mind.  As we all know, women are allowed to do that.  I pulled out a dress which I have not worn in a few years but refused to let go of, and then I changed my mind again.  So here, for your viewing pleasure, is what I wore and what I didn't wear. 

I was a restless model apparently as there is some movement blurring going on in this photo and there is a look in my eyes of plotting escape.



I love a bit of a hippie/granny/flower child/Holly Hobbie look but I don't like to look too sweet.  Honestly, it is too bad I missed the whole grunge thing with the baby doll dresses and Doc's because it's really very me.  Now that I'm pushing fifty and have glasses and an adult son, I can't really picture myself as a wild child.  But rocker-granny,  I think I can dip my toes into that sometimes.

denim skirt, long tank and leather jacket all thrifted-yay!

Help Wanted:
I am not sure about this dress.  It's too sweet for my taste on it's own, and yet I also love it.  I have to toughen it up a little and something has to be done about those sleeves.  They are short on me and the cuff can't be buttoned.  If I roll them up they just come down seconds later.  Thoughts, suggestions and opinions wanted.


These are in order of my own preference.

1.  Getting ready to go on stage for my Country Music debut. Where did I put my guitar?

2. About to jump on my motorcycle and ride to the knitting club.

3. The cows need milking!

4. About to break out into a Highland Fling...ah, memories of my childhood.

Note to self: get that vest tailored to fit better.

20 comments:

  1. Rocker-granny sounds like fun. :) I like the dress with the denim jacket and those yellow boots - very cool! I like it with the leather jackets too, and black boots are awesome. I am not sure about the sleeves, I'd be interested to see what other girls can suggest. Obviously, you can remake them, attach another fabric (jersey or chiffon?) etc, but I don't know whether you want to do it.

    I'm really happy for you that you have someone to share your writing with. Such trusted person(s) is always much needed. Since most of my creative writing is in Russian, I can't share much of it with Justin who is also a writer. I guess I can say that my brother and I are such a creative group for ourselves. Though, he lives in Siberia and doesn't write me much. :) He illustrates my stories, and he's amazing! The fact that he believes in me so much and is inspired by my writing is my best proof that I am not completely crazy. :) I started writing groups twice here, but they didn't go very far for some participants' personal reasons. I also participated in a few meetings of our local writer's organization, but those were mostly "speaker/audience" format. So it is me and my laptop at this point, most of the time. I think we need such a creative group as writers/artists - someone to share our journey with. It's so lonely out there sometimes. I am really happy for you that you have started one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not much of a group person. There are definitely writers' groups here in my community as well as groups for painters but I know from previous experience that I am not comfortable in such groups. I am very much a loner but my comfort zone extends to a select few one on one relationships. As both a writer and a painter I often am caught between my dual nature, where I want to be left alone to do my own thing and yet I am creating things that beg for an audience. I want to be recognised and yet I don't want to do what it takes to be seen. LOL
    I am glad you have that special connection with your brother, but sorry there is such a distance between you. My brother and I have very little in common but we adore each other. We live on opposite coasts of Canada so only get to see each other every five years or so and don't write or talk on the phone much either.

    With regards to the dress, the denim jacket and yellow boots is my favourite look too. The only challenge I have is that I don't like the dress alone so I can't remove the jacket. LOL As far as the sleeves go, I'm tempted to remove the cuff and add some elastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the UK, the term would be crusty rather an crunchy, but it describes the same demographic!
    I think you can definitely work the Rock Chick Librarian look, Shawna! I often feel the need to reduce the girliness factor of the dresses I love with boots and a denim jacket, I feel that combination works for me, and if I had a cool leather jacket, I would use it for the same purpose.
    As for your dress, I can see why you love it, it is very pretty, and I. An also see why those sleeves annoy you! What about shortening them to just above elbow height (where you have them rolled to) and as you said to Natalia, using elastic? I was going to suggest stitching them in place when you have rolled them up, but I think the first idea is better.
    I really like the dress with the denim jacket and tan boots too, but the black leather adds some edge. Both waistcoats are great too, but I agree the denim one needs taking in, it's a little big on you. This is where my collection of cardigans would come in - I would be tempted to add a red cardigan to bring out the flowers in the print and brighten the colour palette. But that might take it back to Granny... A red waistcoat, now that would be cool!
    I'm glad you have a good friend with whom you feel comfortable enough to share your writing. It's a challenge, to expose your work to the critique of others, but necessary too. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a good cardigan collection, including the perfect red one, but I figured a cardigan with that dress was much too grannyish. If I had long hair I would just put it up n a big bun and stick knitting needles in it and totally embrace my inner granny. I had thought of stitching them in place while rolled up too and that would be so much easier so I'm not ruling it out. Besides, since you thought of it too I feel it wasn't such a silly idea. ;-)

      I usually wear the denim vest, or waistcoat as you call it, unbuttoned and then it's being a bit big isn't really noticeable. The black one is a bit too big too but I would want to wear it buttoned so it is the one that will get taken in first, I think.
      xo

      Delete
  4. where did you find my old early 90´s clothes? ;-)

    - give the dress away, too many reasons why it does´t work for you. i had a similar dress like that back in the days and i wore it ONCE. on halloween. as frankensteins bride. with painted on seams around my neck and in the face.......
    (the dress was a gift from my mother, she wanted me to be still the cute little girl she imagined as her daughter.)
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL-well I am not intending to dress up for Halloween so I guess I won't have any situations for wearing the dress. I must have bought it at the thrift shop after you donated it! I think I need you to stage an intervention. You must come to Canada and take the dress away from me. ;-)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the dress but I hate the sleeves. They must be shortened and more fitted. I quite like the dress with the leather jacket and boots. I wouldn't worry one bit about wearing it when it's not Halloween. It looks like something you could buy today from Anthropologie or Free People for $250 or more. Same hippie vibe.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have started removing the sleeves. I hate them too. They are coming off and I will try it out as a sleeveless dress. Even if I only ever wear it with a denim or leather jacket at least I won't be annoyed and irritated with the sleeves underneath. Not only do I not like their shape, I don't like them being the gauzier fabric like the panel in the skirt, but I do love the rest of the dress. Thanks for dropping by with a vote of confidence!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Crusty/crunchy, muesli/granola...same language, so many differences.
    If that dress doesn't feel right then get rid of it. It's pretty, it suits you but if you have a dilemma every time you try it on it needs to go, live's too short for awkward clothing.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your biker chick librarian rock granny look, and your skin is like porcelain! In a good way. For future reference as I see I'm too late for this dress, if you need your rolled sleeves to stay up, roll them up once twice as far as you want and then fold again in half. I think it's from the military. Works for me! But I think taking those puffy sleeves off is the best solution. Amazing pleating in the front. And I adore your black boots in the first picture. I'll think of your title every time I here the song !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will remember your porcelain compliment when I am feeling particularly unsuntanned in a couple of months. Also, thanks for the tip about sleeve rolling and folding. Now that you mention it, I have employed that technique before. These sleeves are particularly tricky as the opening end of them is really quite small and thus a bit tight on my arm and yet the rest of the fabric is loose, slippery and puffy. Very annoying sleeves all around! The black boots are definitely a favourite pair of mine. I love the lacing. They are Rockport which is always a very comfortable brand for me.
      Confession: I have been singing that song ever since I wrote that post. Then I remember my windows are open and hope nobody has heard me.
      ReplyDelete

      Delete
    2. Sing! Sing your heart out! Who cares about the neighbours. Enjoy yourself. They can use earplugs ;-)

      Delete
  9. Loving the black jacket for the "rocker" piece, you look very smart in black leather! Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday, xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patti. Thank you for hosting Visible Monday and for making the effort to visit and comment to all who participate.
      xo

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shawna That dress is pretty, I like the denim jacket and tan boots and also the leather jacket and black boots. I am a fan of cardiis and like Curtise's suggestion of a red cardigan. No good at sewing so no help on altering the sleeves, I would be covering them or cutting them off altogether as that's the limit of my sewing skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am unpicking the stitches and removing them which is pretty good considering I got so fed up I wanted to just take the scissors to them. Maybe you could crochet me some sleeves-lol. I have basic sewing skills but I don't really like sewing. My knitting and crocheting skills are pretty minimal too. I am good at rectangles and rectangles can be turned into tubes and tubes are sort of sleeve shaped....LOL maybe I'd better not.

      Delete
  12. Yup. I see that you're removing the sleeves, and that was my suggestion. It will be pretty this summer. You know, I think I'm partial to the tan boots with it, especially for this time of year, and with the denim vest, and perhaps a summery scarf with a hint of the tan. Just brainstorming. I'm not sure you MUST put your black boots away for the spring. Depends on what you wear them with. I always hate to put my favorite boots away ... the only thing I don't like about spring!
    Crunchy? Not so bad a thing to be ...you do Biker-Librarian goes wild pretty well. Every girl needs a bit of edge.
    Did your meet up happen? Hope it did, and that you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No the meet up did not happen and I am not impressed. The next blog post will likely convey this.

      I really like the tan boots with the dress too. They just seem to suit it and since I love boots I was really excited to get some in a more spring-like colour. I will probably wear them with everything for the next few months.
      xo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.