Thursday, 15 May 2014

Come on In

I've put the kettle on, unless you have arrived after 4pm and in that case I'm  uncorking the wine.   I don't get many visitors actually, but I love having people into my home.  I miss the days when my friends and I had young children and we spent time at each others' homes drinking coffee and chatting while the children played.  Now those darling wee ones are adults.  How does that happen?  Of course I have not aged a bit.  Wipe that smirk off your face!


So today I am inviting you into my kitchen.  I always love a kitchen and I am quite fortunate to love my own even though I had no say in its design.  It's not my dream kitchen by any means, but given that it's a kitchen I have to make do with, I really could have done worse.  And I have managed to put my own mark on it quite successfully I think.  I am not a minimalist when it comes to my home and that includes the kitchen.  I like a bit of clutter, treasured items collected over the years, nothing too precious and some sort of country bistro meets bohemian vibe. 

I inherited a basic kitchen redone perhaps several years ago in low end but generally non-offensive materials.  Except for that floor, which as you know I do find mildly offensive or at the very least somewhat puzzling.  I am not generally the type to go for the clean, streamlined white kitchen, though I do like painted cabinets.  I should clarify here, I do like my kitchen clean but clean/neat freaks would probably find it too cluttered for their liking.  The cabinets are a serviceable white melamine type,  the countertop a sort of vaguely granite looking black, grey and brown mottled laminate.  Appliances are very basic but I cannot complain really.  No wait, I will complain that the fridge is full of cheap plastic and the cheese drawer is broken.  However, I have a basic dishwasher that usually washes and a self cleaning range.  The sink is a smallish basic double sink.  Not what I'd choose but it holds water.  The taps are a bit annoying but again, they function.  I dislike those twisty knob type controls, a separate one for hot and cold.  I would not have chosen a kitchen with such a black and white look so my first thought was that I needed to warm it up.

My idea of warming things up is to add brown stuff.  I see you smirking again.  I already owned two bamboo butcher block style moveable chopping board things.  Yes, that is the technical term for them.  In my old place I used them for art supplies.  They fit quite nicely into this kitchen's layout.  I love the look of open shelves in a kitchen and dream of thick reclaimed wood on metal brackets.  What I've got instead if the kind of upper cupboards that don't reach the ceiling.  I have happily filled them with decorative items I love and have collected over the years.  I don't need to reach then, only to remember to dust up there once in awhile.  Every ten years should do it, I think.  I love those dust collectors so much that I now think I am glad I don't have open shelves displaying all my daily dishware and glasses.  To have that as well as my collectibles would be too cluttered a look even for me.  I also toned down the white by adding my chalkboard wall and by painting the panel of my pantry cupboard so I can write my grocery list there.  And I added a real people live here look, by putting photos and drawing by my nephew on the fridge.  More photos have gone up since I took these pictures.


The wall around my sink window is decorated with pottery bits made by my son when he was in school.  I need some dried flowers to fill that little pottery pocket on the wall and I'm contemplating painting the bit of wall between cabinets and tile which in a perfect world would also be tiled.  On the right is my empty paper towel holder.  I will not be getting a job as a shelter magazine photographer or stylist any time soon.  See the annoying taps? 


To the right of the kettle, and looking so very small at this angle, are my three Pfaltzgraff cannisters.  I love this particular Pfaltzgraff pattern called Folk Art and was pleased to scoop these up at the Sally Ann.

 

There is no way to make this photo exciting.  The bits and bobs above the cupboards are pottery, baskets and coloured glassware for the most part.  These ones above are my favourites, including a clay bean pot that had belonged to my grandmother, a tea tin which had been my great aunt's and a few items I've collected from thrift shops.  My grandparents had a copper kettle, which my mum still has.  I bought this one because of my childhood memory of my grandparents' kettle.


When I was a little girl, amongst all the home baked things my grandmother always had Peek Frean Playbox Cookies.   The larger tin was among the last my grandmother had ever purchased and was not colourfast and one day when I wiped it down with a damp cloth to dust it, much of the colour came off. The smaller one I found in a thrift shop and is probably of more recent origin.



I have more pieces of pottery than I can display well, but I also love to collect pottery by local artists.  




 

On the bottom shelf next to my colourfull tea pot is an old tea caddy which had belonged to my great grandmother.  It's ceramic with a pattern that resembles needlepoint and the lid is metal.  

 

 Sophie would like to show you where her food is.  Beside her is her beloved Panda, which she takes everywhere. Although I showed them to you along with the artsy end of my kitchen in a previous post, she would like to show off her rattan stool and her window sill for bird watching once again.




Sophie and I are delighted you dropped in.  Please do feel free to browse my many stacks of books and borrow anything that appeals to you.  

33 comments:

  1. Definitely time for wine, I'd say! Your kitchen looks great - I hate mine with a passion, so anyone else's always looks good to me. I love all your bits and bobs and how you've displayed them, and of course a sleeping Sophie photo is beyond gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what it is like to have a kitchen that inpsires passionate hatred. I've definitely had one of those. I would choose function over looks though kitchens that fail in both of those are usually the most passionately hated. My kitchen is very pleasant to work in which goes a long way to making it appealing.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. We have very similar kitchens. Mine is very cottagy and cozy. As a matter of fact, my entire home is a cottage styled home so my decor fits the make of the house. I like it :)
    Your kitchen makes me want to try new recipes. That's a compliment. It means it looks welcoming and useable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite drawn to a cottage style home. Although I live in an apartment it tends to look cottagey which is part of what attracted me when I bought it last year.

      Delete
  3. I'm coming round with a galon of wine, I don't think I'll ever leave! You've created just the homely, interesting and eclectic kitchen I love.
    A truly gorgeous space, Shawna. I love the massive chalkboard, that wonderfully arty pottery and those healthy looking pot plants. The butcher's block is something I'd love in my place and Peek Freans - we always had a tin of their savoury biscuits at home in the 1970s.
    Sophie is beautiful. Stephen Squirrel has a knitted mouse which accompanies him everywhere, it usually turns up in our bed every night! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a gallon then? Now wouldn't it be nice if popping in were simple and we could just dispense with all the nonsense of time and space?
      Panda ends up in my bed too. She also gets put into the bathtub.
      Eventually I will get more of the pottery up on the walls since many of my pieces are plates and dishes. There's painting the walls, then book shelves and getting pottery hung up but property taxes, home insurance, car insurance and a few electrical jobs have to come before the prettifying.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Shawna, you have a very inviting, cozy kitchen! I love the whole feel of it, and all your personal touches - I can easily see it in magazines, and at the same time it is for real people. I hope you know what I mean. Loved it! Enjoyed the tour very much. Sophie is a beauty! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you for such a lovely compliment. I guess perhaps a magazine feature on what to do if you can't afford to buy fancy cabinets and appliances, or a thrift shop addict magazine would be suitable. LOL I could never live in a home that is not for real people doing real living, but at the same time I enjoy decorating it and personalising it too. White kitchens can feel a bit cold to me, but I think I warmed this one up to my satisfaction.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Oh I love having a nosy poke through other people's homes … keep going … I want to see the rest of the place now :0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-it is fun to get a peek, isnt' it? I like it too. I'll eventually get to the rest. I want to paint my bedroom and bathroom this summer so that will probably be the next to appear on the blog. :-)
      xo

      Delete
  6. Your kitchen is huge! You've done a terrific job of making it lovely and inviting. A kitchen can't be a museum. It's meant to be used and lived-in. Besides, you can keep adding little touches as you've been doing and it can only get better ;-)

    Alicia
    spashionista.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a two bedroom condominium it is indeed a large kitchen. That was certainly one of the selling features for me. I thrive in a home full of personal touches. If I were a bird I would have a nest interwoven with all sorts of colourful threads and bits and bobs I'd found.

      Delete
  7. Sorry, I didn't read everything. I got stuck on "You start drinking wine at 4 o'clock?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well I can't drink coffee after four pm because of the caffeine so what else should I drink?

      Delete
  8. your kitchen is sooo "gemütlich"!
    adding the woody things is the best idea - and all your dust collectors helping too to make a to white kitchen into a place were we would chat for hours over coffee and wine....
    and the floor? it don´t show stains - not a bad thing for a kitchen and atelier floor :-)

    i have a lot of fun imagine you in the grocery store with your pantry door in tow - hihi ;-)

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that it's really difficult to fold that pantry door and stuff it into my purse! At least I am not as likely to drop it in the store and lose it.

      Yes we would chat for hour and eat and drink and drop things all over the camouflage floor. Green and brown things.

      I added a woody thing last night. I put a rocking chair into the arty area. I'm quite pleased with it there.

      Thanks for dropping by. Hope you are feeling better!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I'll just hop on a plane and be over for the vino, k? Your space is lovely, Shawna. I like all- white these days (never did) but it def needs to be warmed up as you have. I have always wanted a chalkboard in my kitchen and I love yours! Thanks for the tour, more please! Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do! I would love that. I have kind of gone full circle with kitchens. About twenty years ago I loved them, but then I started to really like a warmer look with lots of wood. Now I like something that is more of a mix, wood and white and some touches of black really appeal to me. My dream kitchen would have painted white wood and not melamine, with thick reclaimed wood open shelving and maybe one cabinet painted a different colour. But that's when I win the lottery.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I love your kitchen! And your home! And that adorable panda toy of the kitty! :D
    Your kitchen look so cozy, I would be so happy to spend the rest of my life there!
    And that brown stuff really makes it even cozier, I can see why you got so many of them :D
    One of my best childhood memories is hanging out in the kitchen with the family. It was always warm and smelled of delicious food! *_*
    Now my kitchen is a dusty cooker and a bar I put all my crap on :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love you to come over and hang out. I'll give you a key and you can just wander over any time. I used to hang out with my mum in the kitchen on a daily basis. I think I learned to cook by osmosis because I didn't actually help her-lol. I just sat and chatted and watched.

      I didn't get a nice kitchen until I was in my early forties, prior to that I lived with whatever the apartment or house came with and most were icky. My ex and I renovated our house and I got to make over the kitchen. Three years later the marriage broke up and I was back to a rental kitchen. This kitchen is all mine but I can't afford to do much other than add my decorative bits and bobs. It's not my dream kitchen but I am lucky it is pretty decent as it is. The kitchen was definitely one of the selling features.
      xo

      Delete
  11. OMG that last kitty pic!! Your kitchen looks so nice! I LOVE the chalkboard walls and all of the pottery. I want to do a chalkboard wall. I have a lot of dishes that keep getting passed onto me, so collecting pottery has not really been an option, because I have no where to put it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really to her advantage the Sophie is so cute because she can sometimes be quite naughty! Sara, I have more pottery than food. Every single one of my upper cupboards if filled with it. In my former life I did more entertaining, big family dinners and that sort of thing. I have lots of serving dishes I can't part with and yet they are almost never used.
      Have a fantastic weekend!
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. It's 18.15 here, lets have a glass! and I can marvel at your kitchen, I really really like your kitchen. Your additions have made it so warm and inviting (as you can see, I am 'virtually' there, having a drink!) and you have a self cleaning range, I didn't even know they existed, how wonderful! - and Sophie and her panda? I think that is one of the sweetest things I have ever seen, and sleeping Sophie is gorgeous x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I just got home from grocery shopping and found you in my kitchen. How delightful! I am so glad you found the wine and got started. My range is electric and elf cleaning electric ranges have become quite standard here but I'm not sure if gas ranges can be made self cleaning. Most people who has gas cook tops have an electric oven. I would like someone to invent a self cleaning fridge next! And a self cleaning litter box.
      Thanks for dropping in my dearest Peachy.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. I would love, love to come ove for a cuppa, ahhhhhhhhh
    Such a lovely kitchen, so welcoming
    Have a fantastic weekend, dear Shawna.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have you over! Do wear that lovely gold skirt! Have a wonderful weekend yourself, Sacramento.
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. I had a cat called Sophie and she had the same face!!! Silver tabby!!!! Your kitchen is great! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly Sophie is the perfect name for a beautiful cat! I have a long haired tabby fetish. Sophie is my second one but I always fall for them. My previous one was a male. Thanks for dropping by, Kezzie!

      Delete
  15. Sophie is gorgeous and your kitchen is so tidy. I can share my pets but you will never see inside my house in great detail, I HATE housework!! I am a sloth of the highest order!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, I loathe housework but love clean and tidy. Somehow I have to find a happy medium. Believe me my kitchen does not always look this clean and tidy but I can't stand it for long if it gets messy. I get agitated and stressed if it is messy. I really need to train Sophie to do housework.
      xo

      Delete
  16. Loved the kitchen tour! We have very similar tastes. Down to the wood, pottery and artworks! Will have to give you a tour of mine...when I tidy it up :-) at the moment it contains lots of dirty dishes, old flower arrangements, plastic bags drying, and dust...care for a tour? :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often have dead flowers and plastic bags hanging up to dry too. Also often have dirty dishes in the sink. I had gotten my kitchen all tidied up and thought okay this is the time for photos!
      :D

      Delete
  17. Lovely kitchen + adorable Sophie! I remember enjoying java with friends in my kitchen as our little ones played together--fond memories! Cheers, Shawna! T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.