Thursday, 29 May 2014

I Found Prints Charming in my Closet!

I always thought I was pattern shy, but actually I am just pattern picky.  I love some and loathe some and some just aren't right for me.  Because of this I don't have a lot of patterned clothing but when I find something I really do like I pounce!  Mixing patterns, while I know how to do it, never came easily to my wardrobe because I usually just don't have the right mix.  As a lover of floral patterns and paisley, and not being too fond of graphic prints, dots, stripes or leopard (am I the only woman in the world who isn't fond of leopard except on the leopards themselves?) my patterned clothing just wasn't ever very mixable.  Until recently that is.  I have lately been buying stripes. In fact my wardrobe is looking positively stri-ped, with a dress, a skirt, two pairs of capri pants and even a striped tee shirt, which I had always shunned as being too much of a contrived french look.

The creative juices have been flowing lately... oh damn a cliche just crept into my writing.  I've been painting and writing and enjoying getting dressed.  I am attempting to  keep the writing short here today, because a lot of pictures are about to follow.  Can I actually keep this down to two paragraphs?  That's doubtful but I'm going to stop nattering here and leave the rest of the text to comment on some of the photos.  Someone tie my hands behind my back now because my fingers are just an extension of my brain and thoughts keep flowing...


Next week I'm going out to a poetry night at The Grotto.  It struck me that poetry nights are rather beatnik so I wanted to wear black.  I began to play around with the items I wanted to wear, particularly attempting to mix the patterns because I do have more than one plain black skirt but that wasn't what I wanted here.
The weather is probably too cool to wear it like this, but you never know what it will be like a week from now.  However I really do want to wear it with this vest. And some boots.  I have two boot options.  The vest is a new thrift shop find and needs to be tailored to fit me better but for sitting down in a dim room it will be fine.

My glasses frames just happen to be black and white too so I might wear them even though I won't need them.  Which pair of boots do you prefer?

I am crazy about this skirt.  It's a bit odd, but still flattering to wear.  It has a pattern of black and white but on the bottom it's blue and white.  Under the black part is a lining, but it's sheer at the blue part.  If you look closely at my leg on the right you can see that a bit of skin shows through.  Oooh how daring and avante garde! (Keit stop laughing)

Okay, moving on to what I am actually wearing today.  No prints were mixed unfortunately.  And lately I seem to have a bad case of blurry face.  Fire the photographer! 
The reality of today is that I'm probably not going outside at all unless I take out the garbage and collect the mail.  I will alternate feeling warm and cool so the topper will be put on and taken off constantly.  The topper is actually a beach cover up that was once white until I went on that dyeing everything violet spree recently.  I have never worn it at the beach and always used it as a gauzy summer topper.  The skirt (which is jersey!) is brown, violet and gold with a lovely seventies vibe but it doesn't show up quite as well in this photo.

The entire outfit in the last picture is thrifted, and the cute little top is part of a twin set but I never wear them together.  That would be a cliche and I never use a cliche!

Linking up to Anne's 52 Pick Me Up- Pattern Mix....check it out at Spy Girl

16 comments:

  1. I think you did a great job with matching your prints up here! I love rediscovering cool things in my wardrobe, what an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! I would love to have a mannequin or dress form because I love making up outfits even if I don't wear them. I love to play in my closet and it reminds me of when I was a little girl and liked dressing my Barbie. That's mostly all I ever did with Barbie was dress her and make dresses for her.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. both outfits are absolutely fabulous!
    and you look very happy! that poetry night sounds fun - in berlin we used to go to some. will you present your writing there in the near future?

    i prefer the plain knee high boots.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer those boots too, but didn't want to say and let readers make up their own minds. I might present some of my own work in the future but not this night. It's on my birthday and a fun outing with my friend. We've never been before so this will give me an idea of what it is like and perhaps meet some other writers. I am such a loner I suppose that would be good for me. I am expecting many of the performances to be of that very dramatic style called spoken word poetry. I think all poetry is most powerful when read aloud but this performance heavy style does intrigue me. It's quite dramatic and I love that because I am a bit of an actress and I have always loved reading aloud expressively. I really need a black beret for that outfit! LOL This isn't exactly the right time of year to find one.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Yep ... The second pair of boots are the winners. I do love a good vest ... They've always been a weakness of mine ... and I've a cupboard full of them ... somewhere.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always amazes me how a photo helps me choose my footwear better than a mirror does. I love vests too though I pretty much always need to have them tailored so I don't buy as many as I used to. There are some I got rid of in the past which I quite regret. I am still searching for a denim one. Maybe you should do a vest a day for a week or would that be a month?
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oooh! Love your pattern experimentation. Stripes and floral prints really do go together like tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich ... different flavors that just rock your world when combined! You look pretty in each combination. Really love your tertiary palette ... I like these dusted down colors as well!
    I'm glad you got over your striped-tee aversion. They're a modern classic we stole from menswear, IMHO, and are only contrived when worn with a beret and a silk scarf around the neck. Dan has such a thing about them that I have a closet full and enjoy all the possible variations! I think he fell for Jean Seberg in "Breathless" when he was a little kid ... first crush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am quite thrilled with it myself. It was a very happy accident as I didn't buy any of the pieces to make this outfit, I just happened to have them. I do love tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. It must be one of the best combinations in the world and possibly even marginally better than stripes and florals.
      Dusted down sounds better than what I usually say, which is 'dirty colours'. I love dirty colours-a grey or brown undertone. Now I will say dusted down as it sounds so much more refined.
      YOU are much cuter than Jean Seberg and are probably adorable in a Breton stripe shirt. Try wearing one to bed and see if Dan likes that! ;-)
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. Loving these two looks! I am a stripe fiend--no doubt. There's something so classic--so Parisian about them, don't you think? :) Hugs, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a very classic style so I can see why you like stripes. I don't think I disliked them so much as just wasn't finding pieces that seemed right for me. Lately that has changed. They do seem very Parisian, especially a skinny black and white or navy and white stripe.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love the black and white ensemble you've created with the vest! I'd wear it all in a heartbeat : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it, it is kind of a Suzanne outfit! :-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. You are right about photo's helping with outfits, definitely! I've worn some shockers and only seen the truth on the photo image - all your outfits are fab though! I just love waistcoats/vests, love them! you look amazing in yours, the combination of the stripes and the patterned skirt is beautiful and I prefer the outfit with the lace up boots, very sexy! what a great night to go to, a poetry night, I have never been to one and I do imagine it to be very beatnik and super cool! let us know how it was! x x x have a great weekend Shawna! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why there is a difference between a photo and a mirror when it comes to assessing the outfit but it's both amazing and helpful! I love those lace up boots and was kind of hoping the would give a bit of a rock and roll vibe to the outfit. I think I would wear it with either pair of boots but it's interesting that the other ones get more votes. I was surprised when I saw in the photos that I liked the second pair better as I had not expected to.
      Have a Peachy weedend, Sandra!
      xoxoxox

      Delete
  8. Shawna, I believe the word for your b&w outfit is FABULOUS! Forgive me I didn't finish reading your post (I usually do!), but I just had to say this word as soon as I saw your photos. :)

    Love seeing you changing. Change is the most interesting thing in the world. xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well with a compliment like that I guess I have to forgive you for not reading my post! ;-) It's not my taste that is changing but my ability to believe that I can and should wear what I like. There is definitely also my divorce as a factor- I'm free to spend my money how I choose. There is also the career change (that's what I'm calling it from now on) whereby I feel free to dress how I like and not how I imagine the teacher-Shawna should dress. Lots of fun, I must admit! I too love that b&w outfit so much I don't know how I will stop myself from wearing it once a week. ;-)
      xoxoxox

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.