Friday, 30 May 2014

The Nineties....Where Did They Go?

I don't really remember much about the nineties, and no I wasn't drunk or stoned.  It was a time of my life when I was immersed in establishing a career and having a child. Needless to say I was very busy.  A teaching career did not  require a fashionable wardrobe so I wasn't really very up on the latest looks and I didn't feel great about my post baby body so I was inclined to just cover it up with baggy, lumpy things.  I wasn't very well tuned into the pop culture of the times and it was more about Thomas the Tank and The Magic School Bus at our house, but I do remember watching Seinfeld sometimes.  Although Elaine Benes was perhaps of questionable character, I really liked her style.  I wanted to look just like her, which is rather impossible given I'd have to suddenly be tiny with really big hair instead of really big with tiny hair.


I suppose her look was a 90s version of preppy.  I did love the floral dresses of the nineties and even had a couple.  As they are popping up in the local thrifts shops I try them on but some of the styles suit me better than others and I can live without the collars some of the dresses had.  I'm not a fan of collars and the heavily shoulder padded jackets Elaine wore, while I love the look on her, don't really work for me.  I loved a chunky, over-sized cardigan and the chunky shoes.  I'll pass on the lacy ankle socks. 

Another look I remember seeing then but can't find anywhere on Google Images was a skirt suit with a fingertip length narrow jacket or vest over a  pleated skirt that hit just above the knee.  I admired it on some of my colleagues while I admire a more grunge look on other colleagues.  Nearly anything goes in teaching!

So, inspired by Elaine, as well as Bella at Citizen Rosebud here is my 90s look, dress and shoes thrifted, cardigan Target.  Elaine's dresses often hit just above the ankle and on her this floral dress might do that.  Not on me, it doesn't!  So I took my thrifted 90s dress and layered it over one of my long black jersey skirts.  I used textured tights (which don't really show up in the picture) to emulate the lacy socks and dug out my most sensible shoes.   I added the slouchy cardigan since I don't have any over-sized shoulder padded blazers. So I hope I achieved a grungy-preppy look.  I also made an attempt at bigger hair and pulled it back Elaine style.

It turned out to be too warm today for this outfit, and so I didn't keep it on.  The floral dress on it's own feels a bit more formal than what I required for today so I changed completely and dug out more new-to-me clothes in the form of some colourful striped capris.  As with another pair of striped capris I recently found at the thrift shop, I don't think these are meant to be short.  The label says petite.  So on me petite pants are capris with a little bit of a rolled cuff. 

I think I might be in love with Jason.  I hope his fiance doesn't mind.  A short haircut that is versatile is a beautiful thing and being able to pull my hair off my face in warm weather is just fantastic.  I think I am pulling it off in more than one sense here-faking an updo.

Linking up to the nineties and Second Hand First see you there!

27 comments:

  1. Ha! Oh man, I was young in the 90's, but I remember the grunge look! I wore a lot of combat boots with flannels and baggy jeans. I really love both of these looks! I am forever a fan of florals, so that top one is aces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that if I weren't immersed in being a mother I would have been more adventurous with clothing and tried out the combat boots and dresses look. I really wasn't very adventurous with clothing when I was in my twenties and thirties. I'm trying to have a bit more fun now. In the autumn I would absolutely wear my Elaine look!
      xo

      Delete
  2. I love how you layered your dress over the skirt. It looks really cool. I definitely don't like looking back on photos of me in the 90s. Although, I really do like the updated versions of 90s clothes that are back in style now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks-we tall girls have to improvise sometimes. If I look back at photos of myself in the nineties I just look like a blog in a denim dress busy being a mum or a teacher. I think I left all those photos with my ex anyhow. I recognise 80s influences when they come back in style but I am not sure I recognise the 90s ones unless they are really obviously grunge. I am not sure there is anything new anymore, so it seems all fashion is essentially putting a new spin on something that was done before, but changes come faster now I think.

      Delete
  3. I love Elaine! I always envied her look, too, especially her blazers.

    I've been a little behind on commenting, but I love your new haircut. You got the right thing going on there. Having your hair cut seems to have given you strength, Miss Delilah - your poses are so confident and strong. You are the master of your domain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well I won't be demonstrating any domain mastering on this blog but yes I do think hair might go further than clothes towards making me feel good in my own skin. Now does that make any sense? Hair, clothes, skin...whatever, I do indeed feel sassy!
      xo

      Delete
  4. I like your hair like that Shawna, it does indeed look like an updo. Nice to be able to vary your hairstyle, even with short hair. I agree with Val, you have a confident air to you since Jason got his hands on your locks! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! LOL-well I must say he really has got my hair and head shape all figured out. I haven't been this happy with a haircut in over a decade.

      Delete
  5. Oh! the nineties! I was drunk or stoned then and wore my dreadlocks with pride! No kidding. Grunge scene and rave scene were both a big hit in Europe and I had the craziest style. In Amsterdam where I lived most of the time I had found great thrift stores so I had plenty of stuff to play with my style! I like your first look more and if I may suggest it would look even better with a belt. The second look is more serious and your capris remind me of French Riviera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would indeed-but I'm a bit lacking in waist belts. Most of my belts are meant to hold up my low rise pants.
      I am trying to picture you all grunged up. I want to see some photos!
      xo

      Delete
  6. Your hair looks lovely like that, and the floral dress is gorgeous. I can only vaguely remember what I wore in the 90s, it doesn't stand out to me at all. Floral dresses, often over t-shirts, and some very short skirts with baggy shirts on top, are about all I can recall! Probably just as well... You look so long and leggy in those cropped trousers, and very pretty in pink! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curtise, what a lovely list of compliments. I really love the floral dress and will wear it on it's own soon. On me it is just below knee length so loses a lot of it's 90's vibe. I wonder if I should raise the hem to just above the knee.
      I remember the eighties better than the nineties, which doesn't really stand out to me either.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I think you captured Elaine's look very well. The thing I remember most about the nineties were the shoulder pads ... huge, massive shoulder pads ... those were the days ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I associate massive shoulder pads with the eighties but I heard it said that trends actually go not from the 0-0 in a decade but the 5-5, so the shoulder pads were probably 1985-1995. I think the grunge stuff was in the second half of the nineties.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Love your reminiscing here. The 90's are sort of a blur for me too. I can visualize the 80's, but then after that, it seems like now. Uh oh...!

    I'm linking to you in an upcoming post. I'll be out of town so I've preemptively created something for next week. Hope all's well with you!

    P.S. Like the hair too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean! Thanks for stopping by. Did you make a post on Elaine Benes? LOL-can't think why else you would link to me. Or is it a post on wacky women who wander the net?
      All's well with me, thanks. I hope it is with you too! Have a lovely weekend.
      xo

      Delete
  9. haha - in the first photo you look exactly like beate at art school 1993 :-)
    (if you wonder - i was late with. the only chance for me (without connections) to go to arts college in GDR was to join the ruling party, although a communist at heart, this circle of old man who ruined the country and prisoned people for saying their opinion was a no go. so i had to leave, via hungaria, illegal. strangely - GDR broke down a few month later! after a wile to saddle down in a new world and a visit to the american/canadian westcoast i sent my artwork to the college and they took me. sept.1991)
    sorry for laying out my life on your blog - but the memory struck me by reading you and looking at your photo......

    really love your hair here!!!!
    i would cut the capris at the right length - the white cuff is a little disturbing. at least to me, with design degree and so ;-P
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL-yes I should cut/hem the capris but since they are new to me I wanted to wear them for a day to make sure I like them before going to all that trouble.
    I loved reading your story-freel free to write your autobiography on my blog any time! I'm glad I triggered the memory!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look quite different with a forehead! I'm always struck by your porcelain skin, coming from sunny Oz where our skin is blasted to death! When I see 90's mentioned I'm always surprised it's considered retro :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROTFL-Jack, I'm not used to seeing my own forehead so I get what you are saying. I would not describe my skin as porcelain but thank you for the compliment. A close up will reveal some freckles and one or two wrinkles. ;-)
      I haven't spent a lot of time in the sun though, which is obvious. Given the climate where I live I should be rusty.
      xoxox

      Delete
  12. Vavavuuum! You look gorgeous! The pink outfit is adorable and love the hair! Those capri pants are super cool!
    The first outfit looks kind of bad ass and still a little girly, love the florals ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Keit! I probably am a badass little girl at heart. ;-)
      xo

      Delete
  13. Your hair is fab! I do like the updo look, gorgeous! you have captured the essence of the 90's in your outfits, I love the first outfit, I'm a sucker for florals! you look great in them - I had to have a little think what I wore back in the 90's, I do remember *quiver* trainers/sneakers and knee length leggings, nothing against either but not on me..ever again x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra! I don't think I captured the essence of the nineties at all during the actual nineties, but really if I had been paying attention to the trends I would have loved them. Many things I wore in the past would make me quiver....or vomit. But it's all part of the larger story. I think you have a face that competes with your clothes anyhow-pretty and adorable and happy. I'm sure that's what people were looking at when you wore the trainers and leggings.
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Oh the good old nineties, I had just finished high school and like yourself was trying to forge a career and make babies. Love your floral dress and your hair looks lovely pulled back. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually like the pants rolled up (very carefree feeling, like you are ready to take off shoes and stroll on the beach barefoot)... Love the new haircut - you've got a good one! How appropriate to be a little bit in love with your stylist. :)
    Much love and good red wine! :) xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean about that stroll on the beach vibe. That's why I considered it perfectly acceptable to wear them like this. Besides, how long will it take me to get around to properly hemming them? Ages!
      It is of course, my sense of humour and I am not really 'in love' with him but I do think he is a great guy and very good at what he does. He is also very interesting as he is a swing and ballroom dance teacher. It is adorable how excited he is about his upcoming wedding too.
      xoxoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.