Tuesday, 20 May 2014

The Usual Sorts of Problems

I was sitting around thinking, because that's what I do when I am not lying around thinking, and the thought that occurred to me was that I am a bit sick of my clothes.  I want to throw stuff on and be done with it, knowing that I'm wearing something I like, feels like me, speaks of me and is suitable for the day.  I'm not asking for much.  But actually I am.  I am not going anywhere today, except a possible run to the bank for some cash I need to pay the cleaning lady but  I still changed my outfit three times.  It wasn't that I didn't like anything I put on, it was that it didn't feel right for the day, the weather, my mood and I still seem to be struggling with clothes I like the concept of but don't like on me.  I am not sure if it is the clothes or me, in that I mean I am not sure if it is my own body I am objecting to and the fact that clothing at this time of the year is essentially more revealing, or the simple conundrum that my favourite outfit is a skirt, tights and a sweater and I just can't wear that at this time of year. I'm trying to translate that into a skirt, tee shirt and bare legs with sandals but it isn't quite working.


The first two outfits I put on today also seemed quite unsuitable because it's shaping up to be a warm day and after half an hour in them I was too warm.  There is no guarantee that what I throw on tomorrow won't turn out to leave me not warm enough. In fact a breeze could come up and I will find myself cold later today.  That's so typical of our climate here.  Then I seem to get hung up on getting the colours and proportions right, always feeling as though I don't have the right coloured, tee shirt in the right length for each particular skirt, no matter how much I have attempted  shopping to solve this problem. 

 whine whine whine whine....
 
 In case you think my thoughts ended there, you would be quite wrong dear reader, my brain is constantly a buzz.  I continued to think about this for a few days.  I stood in my closet and looked at everything and tried to figure out what was wrong.  Eventually it came to me.  I have mastered my own style for fall and winter, and I've got a handle on it for cool spring wather, but I cant' figure out what I want to wear in warm weather.  I know I want to wear skirts but I can't seem to find the right skirts.

I have a closet full of spring/summer skirts and dresses which I put on and then take off, deciding they are not quite right.  I don't feel too terribly guilty because they are thrift shop finds at thrift shop prices, easy enough to afford the experiment in finding my summer style.  It is a time of experimenting for me but instead of being excited about it and wanting to take photos and share, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.  Or perhaps underwhelmed. Underwhelmed by my choices and overwhelmed with the effort of trying. 

The sartorial solution to over-underwhelmedness and general closet dissatisfaction is to put on my favourite tie-dyed dress.  It's cotton jersey, easy, comfortable, has blue, green and purple colours and just sort of screams Shawna.  Or perhaps it whispers Shawna.  I'm not really the screaming type.  I'm looking for a nice word to describe a vocalisation in between a scream and a whisper but I'm all done with thinking for today.....haha.  Just kidding.  When would that ever happen?




I'm not a finished product.  To belt or not to belt, never mind shoes!  In the end I decided I like both options but today is a beltless day because it is to be spent mostly at home where comfort reigns. Then I added a couple of necklaces and some sandals and was satisfied enough to run out to the bank like that.

Yesterday's outfit was somewhat similar.  It was a wonky hair day and required a hair band that was once a belt on a dress that doesn't fit me.


See it's the jersey again.  I want more of this. More more more but it's not easy to find.  And I want some above the knee skirts in light weight jersey.  I'm going to have to make them aren't I?  Yeah, I knew it.

16 comments:

  1. I think the transitions between seasons can be tricky; you get used to layers and being covered up, and then have to rethink it all when warmer weather arrives, and it takes a while to get your head round it! As long as you have a few go-to dresses like the lovely jersey ones you're wearing here, then that's a good basis for a summer wardrobe. (Though of course you could layer them up and wear them in winter too.) A maxi always works for me - I don't have to worry about whether my legs need shaving, keeps you cool when it's hot, keeps your legs warm if it's breezy, perfect! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You look great in your maxis. There aren't many available here, definitely not vintage ones but I do like them when I can find something that suits me. And I do like not having to shave my legs!
      xo

      Delete
  2. They both are fabulous Shawna dresses, you are gorgeous in both, no other words required, or maybe just 'boom'! (as in 'I have arrived, boom'!) I have moments with my wardrobe where I have NOTHING, nothing! and I whine about it ruthlessly, but I have 3 dresses which are reliable and get me through my whinging period, all I can do today is nod in agreement with you, I'm feeling it too! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are such a sweetie! I don't think I have ever boomed before but now I shall boom all the time! I hope nobody mistakes it for a fart. I took my whinging self to a consignment shop I'd never been to before and scored a new dress! Can't wait to share it. I am sure I will boom again!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I like both those dresses especially the tie-dye one which I thought was a neon tiger print when I first saw the thumbnail pop up in Bloglovin'
    The change of season is always a bit tricky. Like Curtise, its maxi dresses all the way for me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does have a bit of an animal look to it! I bought it at the music festival and I think I might be guilty of loving the shopping at music fest just as much as the music. I was stupid and bought a size too big though and it sort of stretches out through the day so if I'm going out in public it's better to belt it.

      I am wondering what sort of shock you must have experienced when you thought you saw me wearing neon tiger!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. OOO my comment just disappeared if you get 2 comments i apologise! wanted to say i adore that second dress on you the shape is so feminine. come and link to shiny t tuesday at my place! Its a fashion linkup on the first tuesday of every month! xxxhttp://textgeorge.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/shiny-t-tuesday-its-back.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only got one, so google must have eaten it! Jane, I tried to link up to your shiny tuesday before but couldn't get it to work. It told me that my blog didn't have a link to yours put up though it did. Because I couldn't get it to work I had to remove from my post the statement about being linked to you, as I wasn't.
      xo

      Delete
  5. I think your confusion is just a transitional thing ... you get so used to dressing a certain way, in certain things for certain seasons ... specially if the season was a long one. Then all of a sudden you have to find a whole new wardrobe. I often find myself at the start of a season without a clue what to wear. But then it's quite fun rediscovering things you put away and forgot about 6 months ago.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but it might take me all summer to transition! LOL Also while I love spring and summer as seasons, I like autumn clothes more. So maybe I'm just grumpy!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Like Sandra, I was nodding in agreement when reading this post. Now I hear you have a new frock so that's a result to brighten your day xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a new frock is always exciting, I can't deny it. I went to buy art supplies and there was a consignment shop next door. Of course I had to go in!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I have a similar issue - I haven't figured out Summer style for myself yet. I'll experiment though. It's just FUN! Relax! :) Tell me, have you tried Old Navy maxi dresses??? They are pretty decent quality, inexpensive, colorful, and come in Tall sizes (and not all of them have a defined waistline - I remember what you told us before). I recommend you to try! I think this is the third time I recommend them to you. :))))) Forgive my my stubborness. I just want you to find something that works! It will inspire you for more new experiments then. I think it is just fine to shop in thrift stores, and I love the hunt myself. But it is also good to have a couple of reliable brands on hand, I think. ON has a Canadian site, so there shouldn't be problems with international shipping. Many hugses! Oh I forgot to tell that I like the 2nd photo the most - without a belt. I imagine it with sandals and a necklace - just perfect for a warm day! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't tried any Old Navy maxi dresses but I think I did look at the website for Old Navy Canada and didn't like any of the available patterns. There is an Old Navy in Nanaimo, which is about an hour away from me so maybe I will get there for a bit of shopping soon. I need to do a better job of filling my wardrobe gaps and not just adding random new stuff.

    The problem with that tie dyed dress and going beltless is that it sort of stretches out over the day and looks a bit baggy by the end. LOL. I think I should take it in a bit at the side seams. Better buy some tie-dyed thread! ;-)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. what should i say?
    sew. some. skirts.! the first, second and third one will be only wearable at home - but you will get better. skirt sewing is v e r y easy. take a basic pattern without chichi that fits your needs and play with fabric. there are patterns without a zipper for the beginning. but in the end zippers are not that complicated when you sew then in with the zipper band as top layer. anyway, drop me a note when you need help....flowing hippie dresses are easy too.....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have bought a simple pattern that will be perfect for jersey fabric. I have sewn skirts in the past, even complicated ones with zippers! It was so very long ago. I adore flowing hippie dresses but then I feel like I am an enormous giant if the garment is too voluminous. I'll start with the skirts. ;-)
      xoxoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.