Monday, 2 June 2014

Don't Tell Jason I Covered Up My Hair

Hats.  I actually do wear them and have several.  Although I love hats and fall for them based on style, I tend to wear them practically, either to keep my head warm or to shade the sun.  Sometimes to cover up a bad hair day but thanks to Jason, no more of those.  It also seems that I consider my hats more casual and for outdoor wear, so they don't make it onto my blog often because the clothes I tend to show are usually for going somewhere and it is usually indoors.  If I am going to all the trouble of going somewhere, I will go to the trouble of making sure my hair looks okay and then why do I want to  cover it up.

And yet, I do love hats.  Recently I actually photographed some that I wore.  I have about four straw hats for summer, one which came with a horrible ribbon glued to it but I successfully removed and replaced it.  Another had no ribbon and seriously needed one so during my ribbon rescuing day I dealt with that hat too.  I chose ribbon colours that were likely to go with most things I wear, so one hat now has a blue grosgrain ribbon and this one has an olive green one.  It is perfect for a bit of a stroll on a sunny day.  It needs a flower so I must make one soon.


I might be turning into the town eccentric as I seem to be the only one who goes for a walk wearing a dress or skirt.  That is, the only one under ninety.  At this point, I am in the always challenging position of feeling well enough to get out for a walk sometimes but I too easily overexert myself.  Quite often I am capable of exertion which seems perfectly appropriate at the time but I pay for it the next day, usually by sleeping 14 hours and still being exhausted.  So I have to slow myself down, make myself go for a shorter and slower walk.  Further and faster is indeed my goal but it is too soon.  My natural pace is quick and my stride long, I generally pass everyone I encounter when out for a walk, but even on a day when I can do that I must not.  I thought a dress might slow me down but I think next time I will have to wear heels.

The second hat I'm sharing today is handmade locally.  I thought it went nicely with my all blue outfit and I did change out of those heels to take a stroll.  This blouse is another of my dyeing efforts.  It was originally a very pale blue which just did nothing for me, neither sartorially nor emotionally.  While this is not truly denim on denim it is a denim on denim look.  Does that make it a faux Canadian tuxedo?

I wore this simple outfit two ways, but I chickened out with the sandals and after taking the pictures put on my favourite red shoes for a few errands downtown. Later I wore the Converse sneakers and the hat for a short walk.  I can barely walk in those sandals.  Don't laugh; I know they aren't that high but I wobble.  I like my wedges much better but these sandals are so nice I can't abandon them just yet.  Sigh....what to do!

The sandals....

Ignore the stunned face, I was just out of bed and no coffee yet, but do admire Jason's work without the hat on it.  I am so thrilled with the versatility of this cut.


Oh dear...did that sound like I was just in bed with Jason.  No that is not a freudian slip.  Poor Jason.  If he only knew the things I keep saying about him.  He doesn't know me well enough to get my strange sense of humour.

I am linking up to Hat Attack with Style Crone and showing up a day late for Two Birds' Inspiration Monday.  I am just on fire with this linking up thing lately.    Clearly I am paying attention!

22 comments:

  1. love you with the cute hats! the boater is just adorable!
    and the milkmaid-dressed-as-newsboy outfit is pretty cool. best with sneakers.
    i have some hats too and i wear them mostly against the weather, like you. but even in a snow storm - around here people don´t wear something on their head, a knitcap seems a frivolity. so a get a lot of attention with a real hat and i fear most people think i wear one for that reason.
    going hiking in a dirndl skirt and headscarf - both very practically for that - is a good way to the town eccentric :-)

    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But do you love me when I am hatless? LOL-oh I had not even realised I was doing a confused gender thing-milkmaid/newsboy. A hat can look a little bit pretentious here too but I have decided not to care. I shall go forth and dazzle the townfolk with my glowing legs and my bedecked head!
      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. I have a pin head, lol so I neve cover it, ajjajajaj
    I would love to have you in my front porch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you have a pin head, but I can relate because I think I do too. And hats that fit me when I have more hair are a bit loose when I have a pixie.
      Okay-Sangria on the front porch! I'll bring a jug of it.

      Delete
  3. I love the second hat! Is it called a newsboy? And you look hip in your Converse! The green ribbon is a nice choice for your first hat. I'm so glad you are wanting to go on walks. I just totally get the doing-too-much-crashing-the-next-day thing. In our heads we are capable of anything :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a newsboy cap and I have a bit of a thing for them. I have owned several over the years and then in a silly fit of purging I get rid of them. Then I find myself getting another one. I want to go on walks much more than I am able to, but I am trying to take it in small steps. It's crazy sometimes how little that "doing to much" has to be before I do myself in. One year I convinced myself I was all cured and I was indeed doing quite well so I took up jogging. Oops. It lasted four months but there was another big crash. I am a slow learner.
      xo

      Delete
  4. You look great in hats! That denim on denim on denim look is a great one on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) It was a bit of a stretch for your link up but I decided to go for it!

      Delete
  5. Aww-- the sandals are so great! Perhaps next time you will wear them?! As for the hats, admittedly, unless it is cold outside, I am not a hat person. Frankly it is too hot here for hats (seriously, there is such a thing) and so I don't have many opportunities to wear them.
    As for your hats, I think I like the straw version best. Although I don't know that I would add a flower-- it may be more versatile without...

    Enjoy your strolls!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexis! I am thinking of wearing the sandals tonight with a skirt as I'm going out for dinner. Not a lot of walking is involved-lol. I am prone to getting a very hot head-not in temper just in temperature, but we usually only have a few few weeks of a heat wave here and I am not inclined to go out in the sun during it. I do know what you mean though, about too hot for a hat. Re the flower-I was intending it to be removable so that hat remains versatile.
      xo

      Delete
  6. I think your hair is cuuuuuute! So are the hats, I love that the second one is handmade locally! We won't tell Jason about the hats, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Sara! I love that the second one is handmade locally too. Very cool!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous, fun, adorable, flirty, yes, that's you!! I love both outfits, Shawna. Something new to see you in hats! Well, new to me as a reader. I don't wear hats much, got tired of them I suppose. But I do love seeing them and think that some day I'd like to experiment with them again. Much love and hugs! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thank you. I will try to photograph more hats. There are at least four summer hats. I can picture you in hats. Just come on over and try on all of mine.
      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  8. I love hats and you look great in them! I adore the straw hat, so chic, the baker boy 60's vibe and of course the naked Jason coiffure, which isn't a hat! I'm fascinated about what is worn when walking where you love, I think dresses and skirts are like air-conditioning for the nether regions haha! I tried a straw hat on the other day which was way too small for my bizarrely sized head hehe! it's huge! the hat was perched like a straw thimble! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting that you call it a baker boy hat in the UK and we call it a newsboy cap here. I suppose it is just a working boy cap-lol. Nothing very fascinating is worn while walking here-jeans or yoga pants perhaps. Depending on how much the walk is going to make the person sweaty or how athletic they wish to pretend to be.
      It must be all those brains you have in there! You will just have to wear fascinators.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Both hats - and both outfits - are great, Shawna! You look feminine and elegant in that pretty skirt and the straw boater in the first look, then you're all cool and funky in the Baker boy hat and Converse. I am a winter hat wearer, I adore my berets, but not so much in summer. Just haven't found the right hat yet, but I'm on the look out! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curtise. Berets are not too good for summer, I agree. The maxi dresses would suit a big floppy brimmed hat but those are not always what one wants to wear. I see you in a hairband with a big flower on it.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  10. Your hair is looking gorgeous and so are you in your hats! The boater would be the envy of hipsters far and wide here in the UK and you look far better in yours than those contrived try-too-hard types.
    That wench top is very cute, just the thing with the jeans and Converse.
    I've got a huge head ad have trouble finding vintage hats to fit, my collection are looking very battered these days! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vix. My son loves to teasingly call me a hipster so I won't tell him that now I have a hipster hat! I think hats would distract from your face and striking dark hair. I could be entirely wrong but I imagine a hat would detract from your look. Such trouble having a big brain.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  11. I love the cap and converse look ... cool, casual and comfortable. C what I did there ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are an awesomely alliterative angel.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.