Friday, 13 June 2014

I've Got the Hippie Hippie Shakes


 I don't define myself as a hippie though I think that is quite irrelevant.  What I wear, how I live and who I am are all intertwined but I don't feel a need to identify with a group, only to be true to myself.  Knowing who I am doesn't mean I am any good at automatically translating that into a wardrobe that clearly tells others who I am, but those who know me agree that I am instinctively attracted to certain types of clothing that read 'hippie'.  I'm not interested in wearing a costume or staying true to a particular era of fashion but I'd say my clothes are hippie influenced

Anne of Spy Girl chose a 60s theme for 52 Pick Me Up this week and it certainly appeals to me because my taste is quite compatible with the later part of the decade.  In fact, it is the hippie era, the late sixties (and early seventies) that appeal to me most, whether it's a touch of the psychedelic or something more earthy and granola inspired.  (Fashion trends often go mid-decade to mid decade and thus the early 60s looks more like the late fifties and the late sixties like the early seventies)

I am not inclined towards magical thinking, not superstitious, religious or spiritual, but in general human beings tend to be so I am fighting against nature and sometimes I falter.  It fascinates me that the time period I am  most drawn to, at least in terms of aesthetics, is from 1965-1975 and I was born in 1967.  Clearly I am the reincarnation of someone who died while on a really good trip, leaving me with a love of tie-dye and Jefferson Airplane.  I certainly can't claim that I was born into or grew up in such an environment, though I might be a little bit peeved that my parents were not hippies and did not raise me in a commune.  Just think of the fascinating book I could write if they had!

I laughed when I found I had dressed just like Anne.  She looks great in her version and I hope I look good in mine too as it is something that feels totally me.  I am certain I could live in leggings with a tunic or short dress, and if it has a bit of a 60s vibe, even better!

Haha that hair!  It's kind of a bad hair day. I suspect myself of running my hands through it while I was reading.  Oh well. This was a hanging out at home outfit as you can tell by the bare feet.


I tried out this outfit below on the same day, while I was pondering what to wear to Father's Day dinner on Sunday.  I don't know if this is meant to be a mini dress but on me it's a tunic and even a bit risky at that. It certainly reminds me of a 60s mini dress though. It just barely covers my tush and it wouldn't if I bent over but I like the look of it with leggings and I think I would like it with cropped black skinny jeans or skinny black capris.  I know that sometimes I would wear it with a short skirt but I am considering going out and about like this but just not to dinner with my dad.  He will ask why I forgot to put on a skirt with my blouse.  


Also, this top works better for me without a bra and it's not very kind to subject your father to your perky nipples even if it is a fantastic beatnik meets mod look.

I decided on this instead.  Still a bit of a 60s vibe to it, I think.  Let's call it Haute Hippie.  It isn't my most slimming outfit, but then it was chosen because I was intending to indulge heavily in food and wine.


I couldn't decide on footwear, still waffling at the point I took this photo.  This was a trial run, so I have 24 hours to decide.  And thankfully I have a good collection of little shrugs.  If I wanted a better 60s hippie vibe I'd wear a shawl, but then I would probably forget and take it off and have the ugly bra strap issue.    I rely on shrugs a great deal in summer as I just don't get along very well with teeny little straps and this lovely green velour bustier has the most pathetic, teeny little straps I've ever seen.  There is no going braless in this one so the shrug keeps me warm and hides the bra straps.

I dredged this picture up from what is the computer equivalent of a big shoe box of photos.  I adore my cowboy boots but they are a bit too big for me and I have to wear thick socks in them, but how can I give up a delightfully battered pair of orange cowboy boots that are so well made I think they are the real thing.  They are mens' actually, which is partly why they are too big for me.  
The Peace and Love tee shirt is definitely not authentic but peace and love are good for any era.  I also love this purple wool sweater with a zipper and faux fur trimmed hood.


Some closeups of stuff....

I usually forget to include my accessories in a photo as I tend to put them on at the last minute.  The brooch is Scottish and inherited through my grandmother but it was either her mother's or her aunts. I pinned it on the bustier right above the lacing. The earrings are a pair of my many silver celtic knot danglers.  I love celtic knots and most especially when they are in silver jewelry.


The copper cats are in this picture because I was thinking that they might have suited the  Peace and Love outfit, giving me something orange to tie in with the boots.
I have another bag similar to this, which I featured in my post on purses etc, but I'd forgotten that this one was tucked away in my closet.  The peace sign looks a bit like a skull.   So there we are.  More than any other era I think it is the mod and hippie era of the late sixties and early seventies that I am most drawn to, except  perhaps The Renaissance and the flapper era.

25 comments:

  1. You are rockin' that peace and love outfit, complete with baggy cap, cowboy boots and zip cardigan! I was born in the 60s but the era totally slipped by while we were in PNG. We did have a few handmedowns which made it to us eventually. I remember some platform shoes and a fluffy aqua coat!
    Maybe that explains my total lack of popular culture understanding, and my make it up as you go clothing style !!
    Hope your Dad has a great Father's Day, and you wear enough clothes to satisfy him :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the velvet one so much.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love velvet. It practically makes me drool!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Ooooh, lots of cool outfits!!! I like the bustier- you could also do the Shakespearean or Victorian wench look with that!!! You do make me laugh with your descriptions!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kezzie. I would be quite happy dressed as a Shakespearean Wench but I think I would like cleaner and more sanitary circumstances than most wenches experienced.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. I think your Haute Hippie outfit has a touch of the Medieval Wench about it … it looks lovely :0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know, sometimes a girl has to let her Medieval Wench side come out to play! She can play with my milkmaid side.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Shawna! That last outfit is just adorable! Do you still have those boots? I really like the little shift dress too. Definitely reminds me of the 60s and it fits you great. I'm too much of a pear to wear a shift dress but always lived that style.

    Yes, a very good idea not to shock your father going braless!
    Hope you have a wondeful time celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, Joni! Yes I still have the boots. I can't bear to part with them even though a little vain voice says to me 'they make your feet look big'. I don't do well in shift dresses most of the time because I have just enough of a bust to make me look pregnant in a shapeless dress. The whole thing sticks out away from my body as far as my boobs will push it. This little one seems to be light weight enough that it isn't too bad.

      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Haha, oh my, so many outfits!!! That last one though, it's so rad!!! *_* I love the hat! Reminds me of the hat Keira Knightely wore in Love Actually. :D
    And those kitty earrings, ooh maaan I want ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather exhausting putting on three outfits in one day! I think the newsboy cap or baker boy cap as my UK friends call it, is possibly my favourite kind of hat. AND I adore Keira Knightly -I would love to look like her so I will just put on my hat and pretend that I do. ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Don't tell my Mod friends but 1960s Mod fashion never appealed, severe tailoring, neat bobs and shift dresses - far too much effort for a slob like me.
    Hippy, on the other hand, is fabulous. Floaty layers, floor grazing skirts, tie dyed vests (handmade to hide stains), masses of ethnic jewellery haggled over in exotic markets, no bra...yes, yes, yes!
    Love your chillin' at home outfit, those gorgeous cowboy boots and the maxi are fabulous. Have a fab trip out with your Dad. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could do authentic mod either. For one thing you will never get me to wear shiny plastic boots, but also I don't do neat bobs. I always did like the look of Nancy Sinatra in These Boots Were Made for Walkin' though.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. cool outfits!
    the blue dress is very good with your own colors. but i like the black with the sheer sleeves most i think. if someone has this hair around here we ask if he/she slept with the fingers in the power socket... ;-)
    i´m a hippie at heart and like my india blouses tucked in 50´s skirts......
    envy your cowboy boots!!!!!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the black one with the sheer sleeves! Only it feels a bit more dressy to me, not for a sitting on the sofa day, which is what the tie-dyed blue/green outfit was for. I will try not to sleep with my finger in a light socket. It's a bad habit!
      I wish foot wear could be altered like clothing can. Then I could have my boots tailored to fit me. LOL
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Now you know I love Tie Dye stuff so woohoo for the tie dye top. I don't belong to a group I belong to me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great outfits, I think you really suit shorter lengths, even if your heart is with the longer, hippy style. No, don't give up on the cowboy boots, just add the thick socks and wear them because they are fabulous!
    I love a late 60s/early 70s maxi (as I'm sure you know!) but I do really like the shift dress and boots Mod look too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you the same woman who keeps telling me to wear maxi dresses? LOL Well I like long and short and I suppose I should wear short sometimes while I've still got decent legs. That won't last forever. I do love leggings and opaque tights with short skirts. I'm not as comfortable with bare legs. With the long hippie skirts it's more the fabric and embroidery that appeals to me than the actual fact that they are long. but hooray for variety! I will wear it all.
      I think you would look awesome in a mod shift and some killer boots and a bit beehive do.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  11. Hi Shawna. I don't know how I didn't know you had a blog but I didn't. I've immediately added it to my blog-list and will visit regularly. I like what you're doing with your posts.

    My pink boxing gloves are on their way back to me from Texas (Hollie). I'm sending them next to Canada. Sheila (also in BC) gets them first and I've asked her to pass them along to you second. When you're done, please relay them to a third Canadian blogger. I can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you visited! I have been a busy blogger, have I not? LOL I'm very excited to take part in the pink boxing glove world tour! I am not far from Sheila actually, only a couple hours drive north. I had better start thinking about what I will do with them!!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  12. Ah, yes... Boho chic! Love the look, Shawna. I, too, love to don the "hippy" look when the mood strikes, too. Hope you enjoyed your Father's Day dinner! T http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the boho look but the term annoys me to no end. I bought some sandals recently and as I was paying for them I glanced back at the area where I had gotten them from and there was a sign that said "Boho Chic" right near them. I do not wish to be a walking cliche but I like what I like-lol.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Love the last two looks. And I got an eerie sense of deja vu when I saw your first ensemble! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these outfits are super cute!!! I love your "hippie" style. That bag is awesome, one of my friends has one just like it.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.