Wednesday, 18 June 2014

Worms, I'm Rather Fond of Them Really

 A general Response to all the Great Comments I've had Recently.

Okay there are no actual worms in this post but dear Beate suggested to me that my recent posts were rather opening a can of worms as the saying goes.   To that I say, YES!  Worms should not be in cans.  Set the worms free.

I also say this:  It's Just a Guideline (quoting some pirate dudes I know )

Seasonal colour analysis is often practiced by people who aren't very good at it, and thus you get results like Vix being decorated in frosty pastels (which is not what you will find in that link)  And as Val says, the increased selection of colour categories is definitely because you can't slot people into limited categories.  Glenda pointed out that people get frustrated with being assigned a season and a colour swatch because those colours aren't always available when they go shopping.  That is quite true.  In fact it is my dislike of or not looking good in the colours available is directly responsible for a lot of blue in my wardrobe.

However, Imogen Lamport made a video which shows really clearly how to use those swatches if you have them and not get all caught up in trying to match all the individual colours with what's in the store.  The simple solution is to fan out the swatch and hold it against the items you are looking at and see if it goes with them, if there is some harmony between the colours of your season and the colour of the dress in the store. http://www.insideoutstyleblog.com/2013/06/how-to-find-colours-to-match-your-colour-swatch.html

Given that, unless you really want to narrow down your season and carry around a colour swatch for the most part it is simply helpful to have a general idea of what sorts of colours suit you.  Warm or cool, soft or bright, is often all a person really needs to know.  Of course you can wear anything you want, and if you do it with confidence you will probably look good.  Celebrities do this.
I would argue that the first two dresses don't make Halle Berry glow as much as the last two do.




                                               Source


But I would not argue that she looks bad in any of them.

Value contrast is also quite possibly something that is intuitive in people.  I love analogies so I am going to attempt one here.  It isn't perfect.  Knowing what your value contrast is and how to use that to your benefit is a bit like knowing the chemical components of water.  Without knowing those chemical components you still know that water quenches your thirst and that you need it.  Without knowing how it works, you can still be employing the principles of value contrast when you decide what to wear based on what looks best.

The point is, that I was not trying to give anyone any rules, I was trying to show the fascinating (to me anyhow) facts behind why some things look better on us than others and what we are probably employing unknowingly when we make choices.

Beate suggests that I can turn worms into butterflies.  If I could do that I would probably be very wealthy or more likely burned as a witch.

I figured then that for today's sofa lounging session I would dress like a witch, in black, and wear a shirt that pays homage to worms.  That's with stripes of course.  Worms, stripes, they are similar, no?  And what about the butterfly?  Well I am the butterfly too.  Everyone knows witches can turn themselves into something else.  It is some other witch, and not I, who turned yesterday's warm sunny weather into today's grey and cool disappointment.

23 comments:

  1. I wear lots of black it seems... I love the idea that it's my witchy-ness coming out. :) I agree with you... Halle looks great in all these dresses, but I also prefer the last two pics. Hugs on your day, T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-when I was a little girl I really wanted to be a witch. I don't think I gave it much thought in terms of what witches wear though. I just really liked making magic potions.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Well. I'm so freaking behind. This won't do ... so I'll make big efforts to thoroughly get into the last few days of your posts! Sounds fascinating, and this is just the kind of thing I like.
    No, you don't look wormy, but pretty cute in your gamine little outfit!
    I need to find out what this is all about before I get too tied up in my work-weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's just me accidentally offending people. Nothing much. ;-)

      Delete
    2. I'm with Jan! I just had to go back and read several posts that I missed. Love the contrast idea...and think I'll give it a try. Although it will definitely depend on where in my hair colour cycle I am when I try it!

      Delete
  3. you stomped on my compliment!
    :-)
    so now i have to think if i like that cute sofa outfit or not........... ;-P

    the problem is most of the girls here are very good in picking the right clothes. i personally understand that this here is YOUR way thru the endless universe of dressing options. i´m a intuitive dresser and my creations came together intuitive too - but for working with clients i needed WORDS. or someone like you who patiently tell the not so intuitive people why one style is good for them and an other a not so good idea......

    hug you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did NOT stomp on your compliment, I played with it! HUGS for you.
      My way through the universe is nearly always to examine everything. Except when I paint. I think that might be the only thing I do which I don't examine. I know full well that "the girls" are intuitive dressers, but they are not my only readers either so I did not mean to offend any of them by suggesting there were rules they needed to know. I only meant to say there were things they are intuitively understanding without necessarily knowing it. No matter. We are all an opinionated bunch, are we not? LOL The very best sorts of women.
      xoxoxoxox

      Delete
  4. I like your witchy look! We had a witch change our weather to grey and dreary here, too. I am glad it wasn't you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and no I don't do weather changes unfortunately because mine has changed too and I have not been able to fix it. The solution is to find cute cool weather clothes!
      xo

      Delete
  5. Worms into butterflies....I think you would be a rich witch!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's cold in Seattle this morning too. Makes getting dressed so confusing sometimes.
    You look great in dark colors and black. Though since I lightened my hair I feel like black doesn't work so good on me anymore. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine we usually have pretty similar weather. It's cool and grey and a bit windy h ere today. I decided that meant I should wear tie dye. Have you tried charcoal instead of pure black? It's similar effect but a bit softer. I love charcoal.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Bravo Shawna! Great follow-up post. And as always, you began my day on a happy note :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda. I am thrilled to contribute happiness to your day. I try to spread a little silliness and cheer wherever I go!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. More and more very good points. Especially about not being able to find the colors that you want - it's all dependent on what the trends are at the moment. And whether someone needs warm or cool colors is difficult because I look better in warm colors, but they need to have a cool undertone (like my pale skin). It's all very complicated, and I take my hat off to you for being able to analyze this sensibly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Val. You know, all I do is sit on the sofa, look gorgeous, eat bon bons and analyse things. I was in a store recently and saw a bunch of pretty blouses in nice warm colours. I love the colours but they don't love me. On a whim I picked up a mustard coloured one and held it up and looked in the mirror. Absolutely awful! As was the chartreuse and the pumpkin.

      I hope you are enjoying being unemployed so far and I hope your weather is much better than ours!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Ha, I like your thinking-worms and stripes ya. You look good!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read your blogs about colour and I have learned so much. I have read quite a bit on this topic, but your explanations and examples are the best and excellent.

    Thank you so much Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they were helpful, Sue. I meant for them to be a launching point for anyone interested and gave references for what I think are the best blogs and sites on the web to help with understanding it all. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment. It's nice to know I've been helpful.
      xo

      Delete
  11. Hey Shawna ... Good educational post. Thanks for sharing the photos of Halle Berry ... no matter what she wears I think she is amazing!!!

    Love your witch outfit!!! You sure don't look like a witch to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for mentioning my blog! There are so many bad colour analyses (no idea how to spell that) out there, which makes me sad as a good one will give you the tools and direction that will work all the time, I can always find colours to suit my clients when I shop with them, no matter what's in fashion. You'll just never get all of them at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.