Friday, 11 July 2014

From The Department of Random Stuff

I bought this blouse and then never wore it. For two years it hung in my closet and I didn't touch it so eventually I tossed it into the donation box.  A week ago, prior to dropping off my donations I sent through the box one last time and ended up pulling the blouse out, determined to give it a second chance.

I love it!  It's perfect and goes with nearly everything I own.  What was I  thinking?  It goes with sleep flattened hair and cut off jeans, so I'm sure it will go with everything else I have.

Have I mentioned how I've grown to loathe the colour of these walls?  I don't think I'll get that dealt with until next summer.  The project this summer is my bedroom, which is painted this same baby-poo colour and is more of a nightmare in there, refusing to play with all my purples and teals. I tried to decorate in keeping with the walls but that did not work at all.  I hated it.   If I'm being honest I hate the carpet too but at least it's neutral.  I'm happily letting Sophie stain it so I can blame her for needing to replace it with wood floors in a few years.  Wood floors look even better the more beat up they get.  Carpets do not.

I have shown you the place in my kitchen where I paint.  That's not the place where I do my writing though.  Writing happens in bed or on the sofa.  Since I'm not showing my bed until I get the bedroom done up to my liking, I'm sharing my sofa spot today. A stylist would not be impressed with my lamp arrangements but at the moment it's a matter of making do with what I have. I have yet to find a satisfactory lighting arrangement for my spot on the sofa. 

The sofa is ancient, having once belonged to my parents.  It's beige and threadbare and a bit stained so I've tossed a bedspread over it.  Of course I dream of having it reupholstered, in green velvet perhaps, but I think that's on the agenda when the floors get done, so that the sofa is moved out of the way at that time.  In fact most of what I have is make do stuff, but I'm lucky I like it all, even if it isn't a stylist's dream.  You must imagine Sophie sprawled across the books, notebooks and mouse in that very spot where they sit on the sofa.  I sit where the laptop is.   The incense is usually vanilla, sandalwood and  patchouli in some sort of combination, light on the vanilla. 

In this sweet little box I store pens.  I have pens and notebooks all over the place and always have some in my bag too.  Sophie tends to steal them so hiding them away in a pretty wooden box foils her!

Here's the little devil now pretending to be innocent.


19 comments:

  1. cutest cat pic ever!!!!!
    love your sofa environment. gemütlich!
    and the blouse? what. was. you. thinking? it´s perfect, thank god you rescued the pretty thing. but i can imagine why you did not wore it 2 years ago. you changed your view on yourself i think.....
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what I was thinking, but yes, I was definitely afraid to let the real me out.
      xoxox

      Delete
  2. Look at Sophie, she's so sweet!
    I'm so happy you saved that blouse, its gorgeous. Such a perfect top with your denim cut offs.
    I can see why you chose that paint colour, its restful and calming. Your home is lovely, I'd feel very much at home there and your plans for beaten up wood floors and a green velvet sofa sound absolutely spot on! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy I saved the blouse too! And the cut offs are of course thrift shop jeans that I took the scissors to. They are very comfortable.
      I didn't choose that paint colour actually it's the one I want to change. I took the photo at the only time of day when the colour looks good and is sort of a paper bag brown. It takes on sickly green tones as the day progresses and even more so in my bedroom.

      You are welcome to come on over and feel at home here anytime!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you really dodged a bullet by saving that blouse! Well, maybe not quite so dramatic, but what a lucky catch, and it's so pretty.

    Your writing area looks comfy, and your cat is so adorable. I used to have a lot of hand-me-down furniture, and I loved it. So much character, even if it is threadbare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving the blouse was a good move, it's definitely your style and will work with all sorts of outfits. Good call!
    Your flat always looks very warm and inviting, Shawna - I am imagining you sitting on your sofa typing away on your laptop, while Sophie purrs beside you. Look at her, cats do love a bag, don't they? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cat is a holy terror, but yes she is also adorable and snuggly so she makes up for it. Taking a photo of a room is a really good way to encourage change. I've already hung some art, moved some lamps and changed a few things! Most of my furniture is hand me down, followed by second hand purchases and only a few items new at purchase though old now.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blouse ... definitely lucky that you did that final check through.
    I always enjoy when you put up pics of your place ... cause I'm a terrible sticky beak ... and because it always looks so lovely and comfortable. I'm still waiting for my wooden floors too ... I wonder who will win the race??
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blouse is perfect, Shawna! You look awesome in this outfit - stylish, comfy, adventurous and adorable. Your home is always, always so very welcoming, warm and loveable... and to me looks stylish too, perfectly stylish without that glamorous magazine-like perfectionism. Cozy, livable and beautiful. Love your writing space! Like you, I write either on our sofa in the living room, or in bed. I have a writing desk which I bought from an antique shop - a big wide heavy oak desk. But I rarely use it, honestly. I just can't find the right spot in this cottage. Maybe in our next home. :) I too love old furniture, and all things old really - wooden boxes, houses, you name it. They carry stories and warmth in them. It's like being surrounded by love all the time. I admire modern clean looking houses, but even if I lived in one, it would most probably look pretty messy and colorful and decorated.

    Wishing you good search for new colors for your walls, and wooden floors sound fantastic. Sophie is such a beauty and so playful - great photo!

    Much love to you, stay cool in this hot weather. xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been tempted by many a large oak desk in the second hand shops be never had the space for one. I suspect I wouldn't use it so I'll save the money for my floors! I agree, and always prefer to live in and with older things. I have a bias for natural materials too though it isn't always within my reach.

    I once tried a monochrome sort of white on white decor but it lasted about a week. I refused to turn my books backwards to get rid of the coloured spines.

    I am going to do my walls in a soft warm white so that I can have colourful things all over and paintings hanging and it will go with my no colour scheme look. I think I've found the right white but it's time for a tester pot!

    I'm staying cool! Hope you are too!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who needs a stylist in their home, your lounge looks fine by me. Second had furniture is great as is covers for couches. I have done that for years, in fact pretty much all our furniture is second hand, the older stuff has good bones. How cute is Sophie? VERY!!! Pets are such good company, and time wasters, just ask me I have plenty of them to waste my time with. But I say if you are having fun wasting time then it isn't a waste!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Taking photos of my home is as useful as taking photos of my outfits because I usually tweak something after looking at a photo and then like things even more!

      Sophie is very cute, very adorable and naughty all at the same time. But then, aren't so many of our beloved animals?
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  10. It's a pretty blouse, deserving of a second life. And you tease us with a mention of pens but without showing us your collection. Please do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I'll get right on that. I will do a favourite pens feature just for you!
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Like I mentioned before, when you introduced us to your home, I rather like the warm and cozyness of your home. In my opinion, the color of your walls adds warmth. But of course, you have to love it...it is, after all, your home.

    I'm glad you retrieved the top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glenda! The colour is nice in the morning, when I usually take my pictures, but as the day progresses some yellow-green undertones appear more and more and that's what I don't like. Some people are more sensitive to undertones than others and I am very sensitive to them. I'm still aiming for warm feel in my home though!
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. Hi Shawna, good move retrieving that top. Love the photo of Sophie xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you saved the top! it's a beauty and looks fab on you, and your shorts and your great legs - I think we share a wall colour, it looks so similar to my kitchen walls (I was going for an American New England/Barefoot Contessa look!) I like it but it does get quite dark, in our house we have to not paint anything a certain tone otherwise it all ends up lilac, it's baffling! I do love the tours round your place, your home is so welcoming and cosy and perfect, Sophie is such a beauty, cats definitely love a brown paper bag! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that sweet blouse! So glad you gave her another chance. ;) Sophie is a sweet one--reminds me of our lovable diva tabby, Tabitha. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.