Friday, 18 July 2014

I've Got The Blues.......

 But fortunately only in my wardrobe.  Lots of blues, mostly in navy, indigo and cobalt shades, plain and patterned.  Blue is my favourite neutral for summer.  I know technically it isn't a neutral but what doesn't go with navy or denim?  This post was originally going to be a rant against sparkle, but then the damn sparkly bits refused to show up in photos.

I am not a big fan of sparkle.  Or at least not on myself.  Even my jewelry choices reflect that as I love aged or matte metals, unpolished stones and the next man who proposes to me should not do so with a diamond.  I tend to pick sequins off clothing and avoid items with metallic threads.  I also avoid items with glued on sparkly bits, crystal embellishments I suppose they are.  BUT recently I bought two items that are sparkle-adorned.  I'm sure it would be considered minimal by any sparkle connoisseurs out there but I did briefly consider removing them and then decided not to mostly out of concern for causing damage to the fabric.  I confess I will not be terribly disappointed if they come off over time or dissolve in the wash.

The first sparkly item is this adorable denim vest, or waistcoat as my British friends would say. The sparkles don't show up at a distance in the photos but even a close up barely captures them.


Sophie approves of the vest and has given it a taste test just to make sure.

And again, though it doesn't show up in this photo, this top has little crystals glued all over the chest area and I would prefer that it didn't. I don't think I need to highlight my chest in such a way but I love the pattern in the fabric. I doubt I could remove the crystals without damage to the delicate fabric. Have any of you ever done so?  Or perhaps what I need is for someone to tell me what not to do in order to preserve my crystals and then I can go ahead and do it.  I always enjoy being contrary.

I took these glowing white legs for a walk with my son last night.  First he came over for a haircut and I asked for his help in pulling my very heavy bed into the middle of my room.  I am in the process of painting the room and I'm sure it will take me at least a week.  Then we went out for some ice cream and a walk around the air park.  I was too busy being happy to have an outing with my son to remember to take my camera. 

Final note:  That pose in the last picture is rather like how I actually tend to stand, minus the hand on hip.  My ex complained about it and said I was always tripping him.  Yes, how dare I take up all that space!  As you can see, I got rid of the man and not my stance.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

15 comments:

  1. Shawna, in the first photo, you look stunning. The shade of blues works so well. You stance is positive and your smile is radiant. The clothing fits your silhouette beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Glenda. I certainly look comfortable, i agree. If I'm going to put both hands on my hips I guess I had better smile or I will look about to give someone a scolding.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I like your subtle sparkly waistcoat and it looks great with that skirt. Sophie seems to like subtle bling too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jayne! Yes Sophie is quite impressed with the sparkles.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Ha, perhaps, Sophie is trying to nibble at the sparkly beads so they fall off - she's helping! The waistcoat and maxi skirt look great together, and yes, you certainly do suit blue. Good luck with the decorating!
    PS. Public boozing is most definitely legal in the UK; practically de rigeur, in fact! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind at all if she nibbled them all off! I always assumed blue looked good on everyone, but it seems I am making it my signature colour. I guess I have to let Sue have purple.

      I will schedule all my picnics in the UK then!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Great pose! I'm gonna steal that. Glad you had such fun with your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Do you have an ex you would like to trip? ;-)
      I am a besotted mum. I adore my son and spending time with him.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  5. I love your new waistcoat, sparkles and all! Such interesting piecing. I think the sparkle adds to it. You didn't mention the gorgeous skirt! How dare you take up all that space, visual or otherwise ;-) I'm learning all sorts about you, how you write, what your house looks like, and now how you stand! And your priceless cat...:-) XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay here's a mention: Look I've got a gorgeous blue skirt!

      I am going to take up even more space from now on. I shall stick my arms out too! I hope that my handwriting, posture and home are all giving me a good character reference!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Great new pieces, Shawna. I used to dislike anything sparkly too. Hopefully those offending bits will fall off somehow. Ha. Passing the taste test is the tricky part of going shopping. I'm surprised that your glowing legs and mine don't light up the whole of North America. There's real untapped energy-savings between us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being the contrary type I probably would have exaggerated the stance to achieve a proper trip, can he see? (ok, I may be a little hormonal!) anyhoo, now you are free to stand how you wish and you always do it so elegantly - your new pieces are fab! I do like a little sparkle but I manage to knock them off all the time, my poor brooches suffer a lot - it's the cruellest gift x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like me some sparkle - but it has to be bright and bold. the almost not there sparkle on most modern clothes annoys me.
    your blue items are perfectly you, if you wear lots of the matte, antique looking jewels you own then you can distract from the tiny crystals.....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look fabulous in blue! The jury is out on sparkly bits ... I think it depends on the individual piece ... sometimes it really, really works ... and sometimes it really, really doesn't. So I'm no help at all. The sparkles on your waistcoat are subtle (at least in the photo) and not at all offensive ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, the details on that waistcoat are super! I love blue too!x

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.