Monday, 28 July 2014

Just Hanging Out With the Crabs...Under a Rock

Crabs?  Yes, those little crawly things on the beach that live under rocks.  Apparently I have been living under a rock because the penny has dropped (mixing metaphors is fun, people!) and I realise now that the style of clothing and dressing that I love has a name and it's all over the internet.  What was I doing that I missed this?  Living under a rock with the crabs apparently.

It's called Lagenlook and you are nodding your head and laughing at me, aren't you?  'lagen' is just a German word for layers so I suppose having declared my love of layers long ago I have not been completely out to lunch.  (Let's throw in some cliches while we mix metaphors too.)  It's just that I didn't know I could Google it and find tons of examples, that people sell clothing and make clothing deliberately meant for layering, made out of my preferred natural fibres and jersey fabrics.

While I do find earthy tones, slate blues and charcoal grays pretty and appealing, I like a little more colour than typically seems to feature in the Laganlook ensembles I see online.  I do find the tone on tone look pretty so I decided to do some experimenting.  I would estimate my wardrobe is about 40% blue through to blue-greens, 20% black, 15% purple, 10% red and the rest is made up of browns, whites, pinks and oranges and patterns that mix these colours.  I decided to play with making layered outfits that were predominantly one colour family, unless a bit of pattern introduced another colour.

I didn't try these outfits on, as that would have been way too exhausting. I arranged them on hangers, hung them on my door and photographed them.  This was an enjoyable and artistic sort of endeavour for me, playing with colour and layers, collecting ideas.  They won't all work once I go to try them on but I came up with over 80 outfits before I got too tired to continue.  I worked mainly with what hangs in the closet, and tee shirts, and left out leggings and pull over sweaters that would be added in colder weather. 

I won't be rushing out and imitating the Lagenlook I see on Pinterest for many reasons, but now I know there is a word for this style of dressing that I like and that there are inspiration images out there  so I have a source for ideas if I happen to run out of any.  My version of Lagenlook is definitely more thrift shop, more high-low mix, and I like fabrics with a little more drape to them.  Much of what I see is a bit stiff looking and somewhat angular.  Lagenlook and boho definitely work together.  Okay, I confess to adoring Helena Bonham Carter and wishing I had her hair, but I will have to make this look mine, not copy anyone.  My version has a pixie cut and nerdy glasses so I'm already not quite the poster girl for Lagenlook.

Lagenlook is a bit more challenging in hot weather.  Who wants to pile on the layers when it's over 80 degrees?  Well I WANT to, but I can't always and not everything I own cooperates with any massive degree of layering.

Here is today's example.  I'm wearing this arrangement of lovely thrift shop finds, a sundress with straps I need to shorten and a blue peasant blouse that is a few sizes too big.  I tied it and the tie is hitting the tops of my hips, which feels more comfortable to me than tightness around my waist.  My bra is showing so I'm pretending that is on purpose.  I chose my laciest one.


The flounciness of this skirt would look great with a flouncy underskirt but I don't have one.  Or rather the one I have that would be perfect is the same length as this dress so it wouldn't show enough.  I tried a dark blue longer skirt underneath and while it was okay, I didn't really think it was working as the skirt is too long and straight.  Flouncy underskirts do not show up in the local shops, second hand or retail so I may need to make one.



See what I mean?  Not really working.  Not even when I pull out any of the poses my Russian supermodel cousin taught me.


Did you know that flounciness is not a real word?  I know! I am shocked too!  I've added it to my dictionary.

So the long blue skirt came off again and the goth fairies approved.





They have asked me to stop scribbling them while doing other things so I can pay attention to giving them nicer wings and some variety in their outfits.  Perhaps they would like some layers!


Now, the fairies and I are going to join Visible Monday, hosted by the lovely Patti over at Not Dead Yet Style  See you there!

29 comments:

  1. the flash that lighted your part of canada was visible from here..... ;-)
    that dress is a beauty and yes it would be more beautiful with an underskirt with ruffles and cotton lace. such underskirts are very useful, adding fluff, or protection, or a little white or color. if you made them with a drawstring then you can wear them on different positions for different lengths........i have already 5 at the moment - green lacey cotton, 2 white cotton with lace, cream tulle and a pouffy white one from stiff pettycoat material - but i would like to have a black one too.
    HBC is one of my favorite celebrities. love her since "room with a view" and even more since the tim burton movies.
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-more like the flash that nobody saw. Oh except the whole word on the internet. I need a pattern for an underskirt as I don't have the skills to make my own pattern, but I can probably find one easily enough. I would like to make a few in gauzy fabrics, some dark blue, black and some white or ivory. Right now I'm eying the sheer curtains that came with this place and thinking I should just pull one off the window and use that.
      I would love to be in a Tim Burton movie!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Thanks for introducing me to a new word. I just did a quick Google search and lagenlook definitely sums up your style. Love the thigh flashing shot, what gorgeous legs you have. The goth fairies rock! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the words of support! These thighs don't get a lot of exposure so I figured I may as well put them on the internet. Go big or go home, right?
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You are owning the lagenlook for summer, Shawna. I like the way you tied the blouse, and will be copying that any minute now. Thanks for sharing with Visible Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the job you have, going around and thanking all the participants. Thank you for doing that! It's always nice to see you pop up here.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. You'd better do what those fairies suggest. They may hop off that paper and turn in to evil little trolls at night and come find you!

    I had to laugh a little when you mention the colors in your closet...I think you just about named them all!
    Oh, and I too love the blouse tied over the dress. It's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well there is nearly no yellow in my closet. Nor beige. I guess those are really the only colours I don't do but there is a predominance of blue. I should actually be forbidden to buy anything blue for the next ten years. Yes, you are right; I don't want to make the fairies angry. I could wake up one morning with my feet where my head should be. That would make it so difficult to drink my coffee.
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Thank you for leaving the sweetest comment on my blog today! I'll whisper to the fairies to leave you alone. ;)

      Delete
  5. Lagenlook? You're way ahead of me, Shawna, I've never heard of it! You look gorgeous in blue, and forget that long skirt - why hide your fabulous legs?! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only just learned it so I'm not that far ahead of you. I have no desire specifically to hide my legs, so much as a strong pull towards layering. As you can see, for the benefit of all humankind, I have shown off at least one full leg here on the internet. The world is now a better place.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  6. Love your flirty dress! :) I have never heard that word, Shawna - but yep, that is you for sure!! I would just lump this style with Boho in my fashion ignorance. :))) Cute fairies! Hope they'll keep you busy and happy - artistically, I mean! ;)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I really love this one too. This dress and the floral one from yesterday were both thrifted but are both originally Walmart! I am not a brand snob. I just wear what I like.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Your writing is as amusing as your pictures. Flounciness is a word in my personal dictionary. You can create an underskirt by ripping one out of a dress that has one in it. I've bought cheap dresses just for that purpose and the result works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very good strategy. I am of an age where in my childhood and teen years, it was normal to wear one of those nylon slips under a skirt or dress. After abandoning those I never thought I'd essentially be looking for a petticoat again. what I want is not as poufy as a crinoline but something in cotton with a little bit of flounce. I am beginning to suspect I will have to make it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I admired the layered look in your last post, too! How excellent to hear you sounding connected and inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Who knows, perhaps I'll even start sewing again. I've never really liked it but if I got interested enough in making things I can't find in the stores then I might even like it a little.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. I am going to google Lagenlook as I think this is ME!! You have very good legs, so you should show them off. Get a see through skirt for your layering, then your pins will still be seen. You are on a roll with the lagenlook!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is you! Your version is a bit softer than some of what I've seen, which I prefer and had lots of purple. xoxo

      Delete
  10. I need to Google Lagenlook now and see what you're talking about. It sounds very, very cool. And I love that you're doing it your own way.

    Are your Goth fairies wearing Doc Martens? They're so cool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lagenlook is cool - I'm glad you found the name! I love your pretty floral dress - one of the things I've done when I have a skirt the same length below it is to pin a brooch to gather it up and show the underlayer.

    Saw you comment re: in Victoria in September. I live close to downtown - that's where I do most of my thrifting. If you're interested, we could meet up for lunch then do a bit of thrifting - but no pressure, I know it's a little weird meeting someone "from the internet", ha ha! I'm pretty normal in real life, honest! :) I can be reached by email at nepenthes@shaw.ca if you're interested - I won't be offended if you decline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-no I'm not worried about you being weird. I will e-mail you!
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. Well there you go … you just thought you were layering your clothes … when in fact you were lagenlooking.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have also learnt a new word today. I had never heard of lagenlook. Love your dress, and o la la leeeeeeeg. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flounciness is for sure a word in my dicitonary...let's start a petition! I love this layered look on you, the flounciness suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can feel your excitement through this post. Love it! I'm glad you can now identify with a certain type of dress. BTW - Love the (flouciness) of the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another fab layered look, Shawna! The sprite sketches are adorable, BTW. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Shawna, Having looked from a new post backwards ... this dress would look great with the frilly pantaloons you showed in one of your other posts.

    I think we should petition the dictionary guys to add the word "flounciness" ... there are all other weird words that they add so why not one so flouncy??

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.