Sunday, 20 July 2014

Old and New

This photo is twenty years old.  My son is only about six weeks old here and I am 27.  I was still carrying unwanted pregnancy weight but I remember that I loved these clothing pieces, a blue broomstick skirt and a white peasant style blouse.  More than the love of my clothing though, this photo is a visual reminder (not that I need one) of how precious my son is to me and how in some ways he will always be my baby.  I have promised never to call him that in public.

So this photo above has the old me, and the new son.  Or, if you like, because I am so young here you could say this is the new me and now we are going to look at the old me..... don't know what is going on with my bangs there.  That was not a style choice on my part.

Here I am  road testing a new to me outfit.  This is not as impractical an outfit for going to a massage appointment as it first appears.  My wrinkle prone and lint collecting  black cotton Jones New York dress buttons up the front so it's easily removed rather like a coat.  Given that I am not the same size on top as I am on bottom and this dress is sized for bottom, I can't actually button it all the way up so it requires a tee shirt underneath.  In the middle of our warm summer weather we are having a day of grey skies and cool temperatures so it just seemed right to add the black leggings.

Amazingly it also seems right to belt the waist in this case and so far I am tolerating it.  Another feature of this dress which is an unusual choice for me is the collar.  But the dress fits well and the belt loops are actually in the right spot and the collar is away from my neck where it would normally irritate me because of the open buttons. Given the fit and that fact that I just darn well like it, I might be able to forgive the wrinkles and lint.  I think that if I can find some coloured leggings I could have fun with this.

I haven't mentioned anything about the shoes yet, but they are also a recent find at my favourite consignment shop.  I adore mary-janes and have many variations on that style.  With a regular width toe and narrow heel I have difficulties keeping shoes on my feet so I favour boots or shoes with straps, breaking that rule of not chopping up the leg line .  The shoes are Hush Puppies and very comfortable, with a bit of white stitching detail on them and a wedge heel.  I like a cute shoe that I could potentially run in and these meet the criteria, so I'm linking up to Sheila's Shoe Shine

22 comments:

  1. OOOh, I am loving the shoes and this look is totally hot on you (and very good for a massage appointment!) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kezzie! I love how it looks but ended up not liking how it felt.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. All sleek & sexy in black.

    Those are very close to my favourite shoes. I am also a freak of nature with skinny heels and regular toes. Why couldn't other important parts of me be extra skinny instead of my heels? I walk out of my shoes 90% of the time and have to add in all kinds of insoles, back heel sticky devices. It is a huge pain. I too break the rule on the Mary Janes because of this.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essentially we have duck feet but I won't mention that on the internet. I walk out of shoes a lot too and also because my best size is a half size, when I size up I am really in danger of walking out of them. I have had to very sternly tell myself I am not allowed to size up when buying shoes with no strap. I hate the sticky insoles so I'd rather break the rules. :-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. I adore that sweet pic of you with your son! Looking fab in that great black ensemble! Black is one of my fave hues, and it's always instant elegant. :) T. http://tickledpinkwoman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love colour but I also love wearing all black. I feel sleek and powerful in it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. What a lovely photo with your son, and playing with the words "old and "new." Yes, cheers to waists in the right place! Glad you're finding things that pass the road test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber! Sadly, the dress failed the road test despite waist in the right place. But I shall persevere! There are clothes to be worn and I am the woman to do it!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a sweet expression of motherly love. I'm a sucker for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL- Behind that sweet face is a mummy bear who would rip off the head of anyone who messed with her baby.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love your outfit! Adding some color would be good, but that shirt dress looks like it will be so versatile - and did I mention how flattering it is? The picture of you and your son is so sweet. Hard to believe any of us were ever that young and innocent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. Yes, it looked versatile and flattering and like a keeper for about two hours. Rather disappointing but then I remember I only paid a few dollars for it.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Wouldn't your young self be amazed to see the wonderful you in the future! I see the black and white is still sticking :-) I love the stitching on the shoes. Hope the massage is or was pleasurable. XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-I don't know, my young self would probably say, oh you look old.
      The massage was not the least bit pleasurable at the time, but it did work well for the pain and I was unlocked, which is good.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. I love that photo of you and your 'baby' boy, so sweet. I think I want to see an updated one now, although cradling him in your arms like that may prove difficult!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-I think it might be tough to convince him to sit in my lap and be held in my arms, not to mention rather difficult for me! It would be especially tricky to get him to wear a red Christmas onesie.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Lovely photo of you and your wee boy! The black dress looks great, it's always a bonus if the waist hits the right spot, and yes, it would really work with some coloured and/or print leggings. I had a very similar dress with the same issues of being a lint magnet and wrinkling after the first 5 minutes of wear - it went off to the charity shop, I'm afraid, I just didn't love it enough to put up with its flaws! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dress will be joining yours in the charity shop! There will be other black dresses to pair with coloured leggings.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. That picture of the two of you is so precious. I have already warned both my kids that I will call them my babies well into adulthood. I even told them I might try to snuggle them like babies then, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I snuggle my son in private. I sneak up behind him and put my arms around his neck and hug him and say that mummy needs to hug her baby. He says "awww" and leans back against me. But ONLY in private. LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. you look like 17 not 27!
    sooo young and cute!
    your new mary janes looking great on you - with your endless legs you don´t have to worry about breaking the line :-)

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I've gone from 47 to 27 and then 17 all in the space of minutes! Thanks! LOL I could make millions if I could bottle that and sell it.
      xoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.