Wednesday, 16 July 2014

Pens as per Ally's Request



Pens; I must say I rather love them.  I remember when I was nine and anticipating beginning grade four, the year we were allowed to use a pen for our school work and not just that pencil which everyone knows is for babies.  I went shopping for school supplies with my mum and I remember picking out my pen.  It was dark green and although plastic, styled to look like a pen of the sort one would have dipped into an ink well. Mum explained those to me and that she had used them in school at my age. That was the beginning of my love for pens and although I don't require fancy or expensive pens, what I write with does matter to me and I do love to write in notebooks with a pen.  I favour black ink for regular use but purple is rather divine when I am in the mood.  Blue ink seems too ordinary to me and of course red is too school teacher!  Green is more difficult to read though I will sometimes use it.

I also prefer a fine point, a very smooth ink that comes off the roller ball almost like a felt tip pen.  Thus one of my favourite pens is a bit prone to making blotches on my bedding and explains why my once white duvet cover is now dyed purple.  I'm sure I am happier with it purple anyhow.   To avoid pen mishaps in my bed and in my purse, I have some which are a little less bleedy. There are pens in my bedside table, pens in a basket I keep beside my bed and pens in my carrying case which I keep tucked into my travelling writer's bag. I have my preferred fine black pens in the case and some coloured ones for fun.




And then there are my drawing pens, the ones I use for my version of the popular Zentangle.  I enjoy drawing Zentangles or similar such doodles but I am rather incapable of symmetry, straight lines or anything well measured.  Precise, I am not.  It has been an exercise in letting go of the quest for perfection, since I am so admiring of people who can draw detailed line drawings with what looks like computer-generated precision.  I used to be somewhat peeved by the trendy term "organically shaped" used for curves, wavy lines and asymmetrical things, as though nature is incapable of creating a perfectly straight line or symmetry.  We  know that's not true.  Now I am considering embracing the term and calling my drawing style organic.

Anyhow, I digress from the topic as usual, though what could be more 'organic' than to progress from pens to what I create with them?  These are doodles in my doodle notebook, no plan, no pressure to be perfect.  Here I just enjoy making lines and sometimes I add colour.  I like the Sakura Gelly Roll pens for colour, as they are brightly pigmented and very smooth.





Do you have any favourite pens?  Any favourite ink colours?

Note:  I have linked to brands but there is no compensation involved here. I'm just sharing what I like and what I select from the selection available to me.


Pens for Writing:

The Write Dudes, ultra fine in black and assorted colours
Uniball Vision , fine black ( I don't think I've met a Uniball pen I didn't like but these are inexpensive so are my typical choice )
Bic GripRoller, fine black

Pens for Doodling:

Sakura Gelly Roll, assorted colours
Artist's Loft Illustration Pens
Uniball, Vision-as above
Pigma Micron

PS.  Is anyone else finding Bloglovin' acting strangely again?  I get posts from days ago suddenly showing up for the first time. 

26 comments:

  1. I love all your doodles! Esp the tulips. It's also lovely to see your handwriting :-)
    My sons actually use nib pens in their school...not inkwells. I love using them too. Otherwise the fussy one in our house is Bushy who loves felt tip because he's left handed. XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, JJ, I always default to flowers. :-) I would probably make holes in my paper if I used a nib pen! LOL I can understand Bushy being fussy as it is frustrating to be a lefty. My brother and his wife are both lefties though, interestingly, their son isn't. I remember when I was in school it was all the rage to use these new erasable ink pens. They were horrible for lefties because the left hand erased everything as they wrote.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love your drawings! So detailed and gorgeous. And I love Uni-ball pens, too.

    I haven't noticed anything odd with Bloglovin lately, but it does sometimes take awhile to find new blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I find Bloglovin' will tell me there is nothing new in my feed and then suddenly it shows posts that are a few days old and I've never seen before. Oh well, I suppose this will not be the end of the world. ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Your illustrations are just lovely and I did like seeing your handwriting. i always feel like I know someone better once I've seen how they write. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vix. I know what you mean about handwriting. It seems to be part of a person just as how they wear their hair or choose to dress, and even how they walk. In my amateur handwriting analysis I'd say my handwriting is sort os sprawling and open just like me. ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love pens as well-- a love that I definitely inherited from my mother who is always on the hunt for the perfect pen and accusing everyone if stealing her favorites…

    Currently I am loving Sharpie's extra fine pens…. they are my go to for doodling and making lists!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My potter friend has a book on Zentangle, I had never heard of such things and now realise I have been Zentangling since I was a kid and still do. I called it Doodles!! I Zentangle all the time and love it. I have some very nice coloured pencils, German ones that I bought at a Rudolf Steiner School fair years ago. They are lovely to Zentangle with!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really just a name someone gave to a certain style of doodling and marketed it by teaching some techniques. I would love to see some of your doodles and I think you should do a giant one on the brick wall!
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I love your drawings. You are so talented. My favorite pen for writing has always been the Bic round stic ballpoint pen, in blue. I know, it's so basic, but I have preferred them since I was a kid! I always find my handwriting looks nicer in blue ink! And I also love those gelly roll pens. They are fun to draw with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should describe your pen choice as "classic" instead of basic. ;-) Imagine it is the Audrey Hepburn of pens. Gelly Roll pens are great when you use the neon colours on black paper too!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Yes, the black and white tulips caught my eye too, they are lovely.
    We were taught to do italic writing with fountain pens at primary school (I must have been about 8 or so) which seems terribly old-fashioned now. And very led to very smudge-y results...
    My favourite pen would be one which I didn't lose after a day or so. Pens have a life of their own in this house and disappear at an alarming rate. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Thanks for the post. Pens are the best. Like you, I've loved them since childhood.

    I prefer rollerballs for their ease and have a large Waterman just for signing my name. I also carry two smaller Waterman ballpoints for ordinary use. I've experimented with fountain pens but found them too difficult to maintain.

    My favorite stationary store (owned by friends) had an annual pen-fair every year before they closed. I got to see and handle hundreds of cool pens from dozens of makers. I frequently give nice pens as gifts since they're a perfect present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stationary stores and especially the smaller independent ones. If they are well endowed with art supplies too I am in heaven. In fact, a large store that sold books, stationery and art supplies would be nirvana! I'd never leave. I would need them to sell coffee and wine too. I'd set up a little bed for myself.

      I used to love those pen testing stations that a store would set up, where you could try out the ink and the feel of the pen, and on the paper would be all the scribbles put there by various people who had tested pens.

      I love the idea of a really nice pen, though I would also be rather afraid of losing it.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  9. Shawna, I need to introduce you to Justin and Anya - they both are such pen-lovers! I love writing by hand and have about a bazillion of journals of wonderful designs, that is my weakness. I enjoy pens, but clearly not as much as you guys do. I always ask Justin for his advice - I just describe what I like in pens, and he gives me the best options to choose from. I prefer black or purple ink for writing. If I want anything more specific, I can always find it at Justin's desk - I think his selection might be bigger than any given store. :)))

    Your pen collection looks impressive. One can tell it's a passion for you. I looooove your doodles. The one with three red flowers is magical, and all of them are very fun!

    I hope your temperatures dropped and you enjoy the coolness!
    Love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well I'll drop in for dinner when you are making Borscht and we will chat about pens. Then Anya and I will make Zentangles.

      The temps have dropped a few degrees and it does help! I might even be able to doodle without getting the page all sweaty.
      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  10. PS Enjoy seeing your handwriting! Actually, years ago I had this idea to share something hand-written posted by all my then blogging friends. Handwriting is like one of reflections of a personality. Of course, I don't expect that your handwriting looks the same way when you write in your journal. Or does it? Mine is all over the place messy. :))))) Though, I can write beautifully and always had one of the best handwritings in school (they loved me for my handwriting - oh no!!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love handwriting and I think it is a dying art as most people seem to prefer to print instead of use cursive. My handwriting actually does look pretty similar to the sample in the blog post even when I am scrawling frantic notes. It just gets a bit bigger and looser sometimes. What I wrote and put on the blog is sort of a mid range-not my messiest nor my neatest. :-)

      Delete
  11. Your handwriting is so elegant! a good pen is a wonderful thing to hold and write with, we all love a nice pen here even though they seem to go missing a lot - my favourite fountain pen has been missing for about a year now, it glided across the page and begged me to write in my best possible handwriting ps I really like your doodles x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you; I've never been told that before! I know just what you mean about holding a pen. Sometimes I think doodling is just for the sake of holding a pen! I hope you find your fountain pen.
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. My husband is a stationery addict, he loves nice pens. I remember using purple ink in my fountain pen-I bought it by accident and couldn't afford any more cartridges. My teachers weren't happy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teachers are so picky, aren't they? LOL Says one teacher to another.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Hahaha, never knew someone could have such a linking to pens :D I always loose mine, I end up having 10 pens, two days later I have none, and my cat has two!
    Whoa, what is this wooden contraption for keeping pens? I want one O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cat likes to steal pens too, which is why I keep some of them in a wooden box. It's a pretty box with inlaid flower designs on the lid and I found it in a thrift store.
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. My mom loves pens, too. I never knew until they moved and I saw her huge collection being packed up. I always think my writing looks neater when using a fine point pen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-when I moved all my secrets were given away! The movers were horrified to discover that one of the boxes they were carrying contained rocks from the beach. I think that box was heavier than my box of pens!
      xoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.