Friday, 4 July 2014

Stuff I Wore: An Inspired Title

This is a post with no theme, or perhaps just too many of them.  I wore some stuff this week.  Yay-no nudity on the blog!  So it's time to share my sartorial selections.

I celebrated my country for two days, wearing this outfit at home on Canada's 147th birthday (Canada is 100 years older than I am) and the one below it for running around to appointments and paying bills and grocery shopping.  It was a tiring day.  After two days of patriotism I retire the maple leaves until this time next year.






This next outfit is rather full on California boho which I hesitate to do for fear of looking a bit like I'm in costume, but damn it I rather like the look.  Besides, the tank and boots match!  I would instinctively have paired sandals with this outfit only I am suffering from a hideous razor rash on my shins and couldn't stand to show that off.  I don't often wear orange though I really like this particular shade of dark pumpkin.  When I stray from my typical Winter palette I sometimes dip into the darker Autumn colours, wearing teal blues, red-violets and dabbling in touches of deep dark orange or yellow ochre.  Pairing the warmer colours with navy often helps to make them more flattering.  I'm playing around with gold jewelry too.  I usually wear silver as gold sort of disappears on me.  This locket is a family heirloom and I have hair from my son's first haircut inside it-a strawberry blonde curl nearly the same colour as the locket.


As much as I loved this outfit, I didn't go out in it.  With the shoulders constantly slipping off, giving a sexier vibe than I intended, and the fully visible boots making me feel a bit too boho-obvious, I changed it a little before meeting my friend Sheila for our coffee and writer's club.

I guess I changed it a lot actually.

 I love this little cardigan but I need to dye it a bit darker.  It's a sort of milk chocolate colour and I want to take it to dark chocolate.  As much as I love this orange, it isn't one of my better colours and I need to keep the gold jewelry mixed with sliver or colourful beads.  Here I piled on a few of my favourite thrift shop necklaces.

Being a stylist and model extraordinaire is quite tiring but I persevered so I could share with you some of my thrift shop scores of the day.  I bought books of course, but also a few items of clothing.  The first is totally out of season, but I fell in love with this red jacket and scarf.   The jacket is a corduroy and velour combination.  You may have noticed I love soft clothes.  This is like wrapping myself in a blanket.


And of course it's totally appropriate with bare feet!  As you can see by how they are scrunched up when I put my hands in the pockets, the sleeves on this jacket are quite long, which is a rare find for me!


I also bought an LGD.  That's Little Gray Dress.  I will have to take it for some alterations, as it's too big in the hips but it's a style that works well for me, in brand new condition, lined and has a Calvin Klein label.  Oh, and it was $5 so really you can't beat that!


I tried it with a few options and these were my favourites.  I did try it with a couple of different jackets but that look just isn't me.
 I have to laugh at how tired I look.  I am concentrating on standing up.


Now I've summoned up some adrenaline to get a smile for you.  Also, I like this cardigan and these shoes better.  That's worth a smile.


 This girl's happiest when she's boho, even if the hips are baggy.  This little top, which has a sort of cropped kimono look when buttoned up, has miniature pom pom trim.  I am definitely in favour of miniature pom poms.

 And a splash of colour to liven up the gray.  The last two are definitely my favourites.  Overall I think this is a versatile and useful little dress, I will probably not wear it often but unless I eat too much ice cream I can hold onto this dress forever and will probably find more styling options.

It replaces what was once my BBD-Big Black Dress; a dress I fell in love with and have never worn because never will I ever have anywhere to wear it. 

It's a Melanie Lynn lined black linen dress...I'm madly in love with it but have owned it for several years already and never worn it. It's definitely a bit wrinkled from being squished into my closet and neglected.  I must admit I feel amazing in it, but honestly, I cannot think of a single event I will ever attend where it would look even remotely appropriate but I'm just now thinking that I would love my red shoes with it.  I'm not sure I'm ready to get rid of it yet, but at least my gray dress is more likely to get worn. 


For the sake of my beloved orange cowboy boots, I'm linking up to Sheila's Shoe Shine

24 comments:

  1. Shawna, I am typing it while hearing fireworks (we can see many of them from our window!), happy Canada Day to you!

    I love all your options! The casual looks are fun and comfy. Orange looks wonderful on you - I really love it! The new jacket is great color and fabric - wonderful score! The new dress... ohhh! I bet it's of a very good quality, and only $5, unbelievable find. You look beautiful in it!!! I don't even think you need to bring it to alterations. Just wear it, it is made for you! I especially love it with kimono (and pompoms are trendy nowadays!), and a few necklaces, and boots. You look stylish and pretty, and like your own woman.

    But the black linen dress... Shawna, just wear it ANYWHERE! It is so amazing. You look amazing in it, and it is sort of this French chic thing you were talking about... no? I think it is a great dress, and it is appropriate for anything you want, it's very versatile. Put on any favorite cardi - and ready to go to a farm market or library, or write a story in it. I bet you'll write one of the most romantic stories when you wear this dress. Don't let it go. Even though you are not me. :)

    Much love and hugs! Get a gooooood rest now. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL- well how can I complain when told to wear a dress I love but think is impractical? I suppose it might be just perfect for my next grocery shopping trip. Romance in my stories? Well you never know. Perhaps I should try wearing different outfits to see what direction it makes my novel go in! LOL

      Today I will try to rest. I have to take my car to a friend's fundraising car wash. My car needs a wash and she needs funds! Well not her personally.

      I hope you are having a lovely weekend!
      xoxoxoxo

      Delete
  2. Okay, first off, I love all the outfits! And there's so many of them :D
    The maple leafs t-shirts are so awesome! The red jacket is ultra cool, it's officially my favorite! The boho one with the crochet top with falling shoulders and boots is gorgeous! I love the carefree spirit it brings, and you look quite sexyy-ee! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was outfit overload in this post. I promise not to do that often. Thanks for your encouraging comments. I was worried it looked a bit contrived but I will give that boho/boots outfit another go and actually wear it out next time! LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. lots of outfits my dear!
    thank you for fighting your tiredness and modeling for us!!!
    i will start from the bottom:
    the black linen dress is soooooo beautiful on you! why do you need a special occasion to wear it? just every second day with a blouse or cardi or natalias duster....and lots of your beads and a gold chain and some silver bangles.
    and this - you know it already - is the only possible styling for the C.K. dress in your case. with dressy shoes and a straight cardi you look so strange in this gray dress :-) but with the colorful blouse and teal cardigan - lovely!
    and why not going out in the californian boho look - would it be that bad to catch some admiring? ;-)
    the maple leaf shirts give a very fresh vibe with the white/red colors - maybe this can work in other items too.........
    a lock from your baby´s first haircut - aww! what a treasure!!!!
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes I do want Natalia's duster! You are quite right. I can wear the little gray dress in simple/classic form but it's not really me. I come alive when I wear it in Shawna style, and I don't mean how I look but how I feel!

      Oh and I wasn't thinking about admirers, I was thinking of not inflicting my bare shoulders on Sheila while we had coffee. LOL I am excessively polite you know.
      xoxoxoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Ooh, I LOVE those orange cowboy boots! They are just fabulous. Also really liking your Canuck t-shirts, the LGD (I adore Calvin Klein dresses), and that lovely black linen dress, AND those red shoes! Thank you for linking up to Shoe Shine - I didn't see your picture, though...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe my link up didn't take. I'll check it again :-) The Canuck tee shirts are from Superstore. LOL a high fashion shopping location!

      Delete
  5. I love your maple-leaf shirts. I'm not fond of red, white and blue together, so maybe next year I'll celebrate Canada Day instead and get some shirts like yours!

    Your little gray dress is fab, and it looks very chic with the black cardis. Very versatile and flattering, and really, isn't that all you need in an LGD?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, versatile and flattering was what I was hoping for. It's worth testing out at $5. Well red white and blue is both American and British so it seems you should learn to love them. LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I hope you enjoyed Canada Day!

    I LOVE the simplicity and shape of the Melanie Lynn dress. And you're right, that dress will take you to many events and occasions. It's very flattering on you. You've got the height and you wear it well!

    Your first and fourth looks are very California too. Though you mentioned your #3 look as being boho Cali, I believe the two I mentioned are more so. The 4th look reminds me of what is commonly seen at our Farmers Markets.

    You looked as if you enjoyed wearing all of these looks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could fit in fairly well in California. I adore Santa Cruz.

      Delete
  7. I hope you had a very Happy Canada Day! I have thoroughly enjoyed your modelling bonanza, of course it's very exhausting, I do hope you had a very large restorative glass of wine (known for their healing properties) all of the outfits are magnificent *hello to those awesome cowboy boot!* and the black dress? wear it, wear it anywhere, it's gorgeous! x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had some restorative chocolate. It has healing properties too. Antioxidants just like the wine!
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. So my favourite looks here are the ones you say you won't wear out and about! The boho lacy tunic with the short skirt and cowboy boots is just fabulous (orange is a great colour on you, and what is wrong with a glimpse of shoulder?!) The black linen dress is so you, I can't imagine why you haven't worn it. You don't need an occasion, it's an everyday dress, and you obviously love it, so wear it!
    Yes, I'm being bossy this evening. So there!
    The grey dress is great, but it does need something other than black with it to give it a lift, it looks lovely with the print kimono-style top. To me, it actually looks dressier/ smarter than the black frock, the latter seems far more Shawna-esque! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am only just learning to show my legs and now you want me to show my shoulders too! The black linen dress is so very me but it is so very not what anyone in this town would wear to the grocery store or cafe. I would certainly draw attention to myself. I will start wearing it around the house as I'm sure it will impress the cat.

      Yes, I agree the grey dress needs to be perked up with other things but I thought of it as a sort of basic emergency dress. LOL. Something I could rely on to always be suitable. For $5 it's worth trying it out anyhow.
      xoxoxox

      Delete
  9. I sure like the outfit with the lace top. I've been wanting to find something similar. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your outfits have the wow factor!!! My favorite though is No 3. Love the cowboy boots. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who doesn't love a good pom pom fringe? And that outfit...you need to find a place to actually get out in it. That off-the-shoulder shirt is great on you and I love the boots with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously??? That black dress is a keeper. That is my favourite out of the whole bunch. I'd wear it anywhere. Grocery shopping...with a sweater for a walk on the beach...can you imagine how beautiful that would look and how amazing that would feel with the ocean breeze?

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wear that lovely linen dress with those killer cowboy boots and go to the nearest bar - you'll be the centre of attention! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you look very cute in your patriotic wear! I like the lacy top as well, but I think I would wear it over some leggings or even skinny jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ALL of these outfits are super cute! I agree, I think you are really in your element when you are wearing something "boho", very fitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have to wear that boho look out!!! I adore it!!! The black dress is pretty Amazing,you must allow it to embrace its destiny and wear it!!! X

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.