Wednesday, 23 July 2014

Wordless Wednesday...Or Not

Can I do it? I don't know, as I am awfully fond of words.  I love taking photos though and it has long been my goal to improve my skills, if I can even be said to have any skills, and I'm inspired by all the bloggers I know who take such amazing photos.  I am also quite keen to become better acquainted with my camera since rather like my computer, I am not using it anywhere near it's full capacity, though I am proud of myself for rarely using the automatic setting.

I bought the camera shortly after my ex- husband and I split.  He had always been the photographer and the one who owned the expensive camera and I felt that I wasn't entitled to have one.  I don't really know why I felt that, but the psychology behind it is some sort of complicated issue all tied into the whole dysfunction of that relationship.  I was too intimidated to try to be good at anything he was good at and also I spent my allotted mad money on plants to a great extent so buying a camera just didn't factor in until I was on my own and making significant life changes that involved less gardening and more art.

So I bought myself a camera, an SLR digital Nikon D3000.  Not a professional's camera but something I could learn on and take better photos than what my tiny little automatic could take.  I bought a basic starter lens and a tripod and my adventures in photography began.  I imagined myself going on long nature walks or walks through town and snapping photos but then a relapse derailed those plans.  I don't get out much and am definitely not yet managing long walks, but recently I realised there are many things I can photograph in my own home.

Most of the time I take photos such as these...



Which have a purpose, the purpose of documenting and sharing something about my day or my life, which is fine.  I will not stop doing that.

These pictures are to show how I recently reorganised the kitchen nook where I usually paint and draw and sometimes use my computer.  I pushed the table against the window and folded down one of the sides so it would be flush to the window.

I had to tie the chandelier up higher, as I would otherwise bump my head on it with the table not centred underneath anymore.

I am not sure how I feel about that chandelier, which came with the place when I bought it.  On some days I like it and on some I don't.  I suppose I'm not in a bother to replace it.

It has been a grey and rainy day today, though the sun is trying to break through now and the temperatures are still mild. 


It may look like this outside but I am now tucked into the corner with my orchids and other greenery.



I've got my paints and my cat who has just peed in her own toy box.


And a new plan.  A plan to take more photos, inside, of small things.  Close up.  Just for fun.  And maybe to share.  Like this little bit of sun, which is needed today!


And maybe I will actually  manage to be wordless next Wednesday.  Or employ "less" words.

27 comments:

  1. You are so lucky to have that view! And such a perfect spot to be creative in. Good luck with the camera. I have never been able to learn more than how to set something on Auto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I am lucky! It was a difficult change for me, to give up on having my own little house and garden, but this place is amazing and I'm lucky to have found it in a small town. I have a view of the ocean, pretty surrounding grounds, a deep soaker tub, a fireplace, windows on three sides and really nice neighbours. It suits me perfectly!

      Delete
  2. I don't get Wordless Wednesday. Is one supposed to comment or is the silence on both sides?
    Anyway, your photos are wonderful. I love seeing your art in progress, the view from the window, beautiful Sophie and your lovely home. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-I think it's just the blogger who goes wordless. Everyone else is allowed to comment. Fear not, I won't be capable of wordlessness.
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I love your home so much it's creepy! :D The chandelier is totally something I would put in my apartment, it's so weird, but in a good way :D
    It's been gray and raining here too, but I like ti :D How's the kitty doing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well come on over and hang out. You might have to bring your own beer, as I only have wine and hard stuff. I know just what you mean about the chandelier-weird but in a good way. My son says the glass light shades look like fish with their faces buried in flowers and he's right!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. You have some lovely views Shawna. Is that water I can see? Lake or Ocean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. It's the ocean but it's a small bay so I am looking across it to Royston over on the other side.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. Bravo! Love the little sun shining away in the corner. Your painting nook looks so pleasant. I'd love to spend time amongst the plants, the paints and the view. I mostly take auto shots because it's so good! But slowly I'm learning some tricks here and there. It's a big pressure I put on myself to not use auto, but even though I've studied photography at college, the info went in and out again! So I'm cutting myself some slack :-)
    Anyway enough explaining! Looking forward to more photos. But I love your words too. You're never a bore. I look forward to your chats :-D
    Hugs,
    JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack! I use my camera on the A setting (A not Auto) but don't really know why I do. The flash won't automatically go off on that setting and it usually produces nice images with true colours, but sometimes I have to increase the exposure in iphoto.
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. I like your words...and I like your pictures! So maybe Some Words Wednesday???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-thanks. I like that -Some Words Wednesday sounds more like me!
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I know it's suppose to be wordless Wednesday, so I'll verve you with this...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun pictures! You have such a cozy home, Shawna! I enjoy taking photos of my home, and have many too. :)

    Sorry for not responding earlier - I'll email you today! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that photos of my home help in the same way that photos of outfits do. I often see something I want to change after I take a photo and am usually quite pleased with the results.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. Images are fine, but I rather like words, they contain the personality, don't they?
    You have a lovely home, and a beautiful kitty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curtise! I am quite attached to words. I've been tossing them around for most of my life and they have served me well!
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I like your images and I like your words too, the words give more of a story to the pictures (I know that is probably an obvious observation! but I like the annotation) I adore your home, the story of your chandelier and I haven't the foggiest what to do with my camera, apparently it has a lot of pixels and stuff (imagine my brain turning to dust when these things are explained to me) but I love what you are photographing/chronicling x x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I know all about those topics that turn one's brain into dust! I am like that whenever anyone tries to explain to me how my computer works!
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Yay ... can't wait for more photos ... how about one a day???
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very tempted to borrow your one a day, but the thing is I will not be able to stop flinging words about too, so I suspect it will only make me an even more prolific poster and I'd hate to wear out my welcome. I am seriously considering it though.
      xoxo

      Delete
  12. I am so glad you treated yourself to a camera! I have really enjoyed learning how to use mine and enjoy taking photos these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite glad I treated myself too! I do love how digital allows one to take massive quantities of photos and then just delete the bad ones. I remember the days when I had a roll of film developed and half were good and half were a waste.
      xoxo

      Delete
  13. Claire is always fine with Words on Wednesday! Your house looks just lovely, so much light and space and I really like the chandelier even if you're not sure. Awwww, Sophie!!!! She is SO like my own Sophie-I have to show you a picture some time. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Words on Wednesday! That sounds like a good idea to me. I like words on the other days of the week too! I think I like my chandelier more every day even though when I look at it I see fish.

      Oh yes, do shoe me a picture of your Sophie!
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. Shoe me? I really wish we could fix typos on these comments.

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.