Thursday, 7 August 2014

Spinach Pie, Oh My Oh My!

I do not take food photos anywhere nearly as well as Beate does.  Her photos are gorgeous and always look like they should be framed and displayed.  Her food is gorgeous too.  I like to eat.  I like to eat delicious food.  I am in too much of a hurry to eat it to bother taking nice photos.   If I got lucky and made something delicious, taking a photo of it is not usually top priority until I am about half way through it and I think, oh I should share this recipe.  I definitely didn't think to take any pictures of the process.


So tonight I improvised a little, in order to make a spinach pie that is low carb and gluten free because that's they way I eat.  That is what is best for my body but it may not be best for yours.  This recipe is definitely high fat and  I never  make low fat versions of things.  If you want fewer calories ou can make this filling without a crust or if you want the calories you can use a regular pastry crust. It's not the Greek phyllo dough version though that is very tasty too!   I  don't believe in eating gluten free junk, or at least not regularly, so I made it without starches and refined grain flours.  This gluten free crust comes out something in between a pastry and a thin biscuit dough.

This recipe contains potential allergens:  eggs, dairy, almonds

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F

Crust:
2 Tbsp cold butter
2 Tbsp coconut flour
1 cup almond flour
pinch salt
I large egg

In a food processor pulse together the butter, flours and salt.  Add the egg and pulse until it forms a sticky ball of dough.  You could do this with a dough blender or two knives as well as you would for regular pastry.

Transfer the dough to a deep 9" pie plate and press it out as thinly as you can get it, pushing it up the edges of the plate.

Bake the crust for aproximately 10 minutes or until it turns golden.  The melted butter will sit on top a little as it doesn't soak into the almond and coconut flours like it would other flours or starches. It's possible I could have used less but I'm not worried about it and it tasted great.

For extra nutrition and to absorb some of the liquid I sprinkled flax over the surface of the crust but that's not necessary.

Filling:
4 large eggs
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 cups finely crumbled Feta cheese
5 cups fresh baby spinach leaves (approx)
1 onion, minced
butter for frying
pinch salt
garlic to taste (I used 1 tsp garlic powder as that is what I had on hand)

Sautee the onion in a small knob of butter and when the onions are translucent add the spinach leaves to wilt them.  Stir and mix a little in the pan.  Add chopped fresh garlic if using that.

Beat together the eggs and cream with a whisk and stir in the cheese, salt and garlic if using powder. 

Spread the onion and spinach mixture over the pre-baked crust and then pour the egg mixture on top.

Bake for 30 min or until edges pull away a little and surface springs back slightly to the touch.

This can be served cold but in my opinion it's nicer served warm. Slices olives would be great baked right in or on top and tomatoes would taste lovely with this too, though if baked in they would be likely to add too much liquid to the filling.

If using regular pastry you don't need to prebake it but baking time might be a little longer, such as 40 min.

This really doesn't need a crust, but I wanted to experiment with a new idea for making a gluten free crust.  The filling firms up nicely and will slice into pie shapes without having a crust and eliminating that step would save time unless you have premade frozen crusts on hand.

17 comments:

  1. thanx for the flowers my dear!
    :-)
    your pie looks veeeery delicious, hooray for lots of butter, eggs and other fat things! fat brings the taste, thats an old wisdom. and it has to be natural fat - not margarine or such - pfui.
    if i always would think about to notice the making and photograph the finished dish, not to mention the making off..... usually i cook twice a day, always without a recipe but with fresh veggies (hubs eats vegetarian), and the result is never the same. i don´t "think" about how to or what spices - the veggies i use "say" to me how they want to be cooked.
    hoping for seeing more of your yummy food preparations here!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely use a recipe, though I suppose some are just committed to memory, especially with baking. I use what I have but to a certain degree I also stock my fridge and pantry with the ingredients I like and know will make the sorts of meals I like. I make a lot of large dish mixed things and eat the same thing for a few days in a row. That's easiest for a single person with unpredictable energy levels.

      Not only does fat bring the flavour, it keeps me full longer so in the end I probably eat less than I would on a low fat diet. On a low fat and higher carb diet I am ravenous all the time. I gained 30 lbs as a vegan, because I ate my body weight in rice and beans. LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Mmmm, yummy! You know what I think would be awesome, you can make a youtube cooking channel. I would totally watch it, too lazy to cook though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just start sending you delivery. I'm sure it will only take a few weeks to get to you! ;-) Keit, I absolutely hate hate hate myself on video so I would have to get a stand in to do my cooking channel. LOL
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Oh Shawna this sounds and looks so yummy my stomach is rumbling. I might just try this recipe. With a bit.of chilli of course. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is my revenge, Elsie as you are always making my tummy rumble!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love spinach pie! This sounds so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't cook, like you don't sew. I do a small amount but very plain. Enough to feed the family but nothing fancy. My one claim to being a good mother is cooking pizza from scratch. So although you think the photo is bad, it illustrates nicely and the recipe looks amazing. Unfortunately eggs don't like me even though I like them, so I can't make this one :-( Glad you had a yummy meal :-) XO JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I am starting to sew so you might have to start cooking, my dear. ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Looks delicious Shawna!
    May i make a suggestion?
    Have ever heard about a product called Belsoy? it replaces heavy cream for cooking . I had the most wonderful results with sauce rosee and vegetable gratin - It has the same amount of calories but it's vegetal not animal fat -

    Have a great weekend

    Arianexo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariane, I was vegan for several years so I am familiar with Belsoy and all of the alternatives. I am no longer vegan, obviously and I deliberately eat a diet rich in natural fat, including animal fat. I stay away from trans fats. The idea that animal fats are bad for us is outdated and inaccurate, though when I was vegan I was considering mostly ethical reasons. That's a long and complicated topic. I'm glad the Belsoy works for you. Often I found I could blend a soft tofu with soy milk and get something that was creamier than the regular soy milk. Also, one of the soy milk brands, I think it is Silk, makes a coffee creamer that would work to replace cream in recipes. :-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love spanakopita, which is what this sounds like! Anything with spinach will do me, in fact - I made a lovely saag aloo this week, delicious. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spanakopita too but can no longer eat it as there is no gluten free phyllo pastry. This recipe is sort of like a cross between spanakopita and quiche, both delicious things! I shall be dropping by for some saag aloo.
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. Coconut and almond flour? that alone sounds delicious, spinach and feta in addition, it really sounds and looks totally divine, I'm a believer in fats (as far as I know they are required for the absorption of vitamins, obs not crap fat though) I haven't seen coconut flour around though x x x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this takes me back to eating spinach and feta pies on the beaches in Greece, washed down with an ice cold Mythos. Yours looks lovely! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm!!! Looks delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.