Sunday, 14 September 2014

Let Them Eat Cake

My favourite thing to have for breakfast is cake.  I like to pour thick cream all over it too.  No, I am not one of those people who can eat anything and stay slim and neither do I exercise like a fiend in order to afford a few more calories.  I eat as much as I want and I eat lots of natural fat but I eat limited carbohydrates.  My carbohydrates come from fruit and vegetables, but I don't eat starches or grains, except perhaps in a restaurant once a month, and I don't eat added sugars, not even in those fake healthy forms called honey or maple syrup.  But I do have cake for breakfast nearly every day.


I use coconut oil, ground flax, berries, an egg and a touch of baking powder, and I'm not sure the baking powder is all that necessary.  Initially I sweetened it with liquid stevia, but now I don't bother as I am no longer accustomed to eating sweetened things.

1 tbsp melted coconut oil or butter
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/4 cup ground flax seed/ almond meal combination*
1 tsp baking powder
2 drops liquid Stevia if required or sweeten to equivalent of 1 tsp sugar however you desire
3/4 cup approx of berries fresh or frozen.

Using a microwave, melt the coconut oil or butter in a small bowl.  Beat in the egg with a fork and add the dry ingredients and sweetener if using.  Stir in the berries and microwave on high for 2 minutes.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts if desired and top with cream or Greek yogurt.  Eat it right out of the bowl when it is cool enough.

* Finely ground almond meal is sometimes known as almond flour.  The more flax the more it is similar to a bran muffin and the more almond meal the more it is like a cake

                                  The uncooked batter looks like this.

                                         Stir in blueberries

                          It comes out of the microwave looking like this.


Potential allergens:  eggs, dairy, nuts

11 comments:

  1. An albeit healthy cake. How creative. I'll have to give this a try. I thought you meant like a huge, hunk of chocolate cake...or something. If I ate like that in the morning, I wouldn't be hungry for the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds much too healthy to be called cake … I'm with Glenda I was imagining a great big slab of chocolate cake and cream … and I was liking it ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds yummy!
    but no microwave at the railroad house.....
    so i have to find a solution - because i love eating my breakfast out of a bowl!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had to swallow a big juicy portion of saliva because of this! :D Damn you I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious, and how cool that you can feed yourself cake for breakfast ... even if it isn't your first sin of the day and is absolutely good for you! I'm on my way out the door, but wanted to stop by and say hey since I haven't been over in way too long. You have one of the most entertaining blogs out and around, and I'm so happy I met you!
    Have a very groovy day, young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds good, but I think I'd have to call it something besides cake. However, if you want to be Marie Antoinette every morning and say "Let me eat cake" good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I like this idea. I might have to try it for my kids one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGoodness!!! What a wonderful way to start the day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks pretty yum! I will have to give it a try! I totally eat healthy, like . 65% of the time. But this looks like the best of both worlds!

    ReplyDelete
  10. To be honest, it's not really my thing, I like my breakfast to be a puritanical cereal with no sugary stuff/fruit!!! Still I can appreciate that this is a great inventive breakfast! X

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.