Sunday, 28 September 2014

Saturday and Sonday

It was a beautiful sunny day on Saturday, with the temperatures in the high teens.  I had not intended to go out as I was feeling a bit tired, but dressed myself in layers of purple ready to settle in for a cosy day of cat cuddling, though I did put on my boots thinking I would take out the garbage.


Then  my son phoned wanting to come over.  There were a few things he had promised to help me with and he also wanted a haircut.  We decided that after that we'd go out for an ice cream and take it to the beach.  Did I change my clothes for this outing?  Of course not.  This is appropriate beachwear is it not?  I dropped an avocado on myself this morning anyhow so the dress no longer qualified as clean.  That made it quite suitable for sitting on a sandy log at the beach and probably spilling ice cream on myself.  I took off the granny sweater and shawl and chose different shoes and coat.  I added another skirt layer underneath along with purple stri-ped knee socks.



I am going to risk his displeasure by including this photo, but he was talking and laughing as he told me a story which makes this a photo I love and one he would probably hate.  Here he is, my most favourite redhead in the world.


It's not the prettiest beach we have here but we knew it would not be populated like the nicer ones so we chose this one as a place to go and sit.  We watched the sea birds, soaked up the sun and chatted happily.  I love this young man so fiercely.  Where did my little baby go?  Where is my little boy who would climb into my lap for snuggles?  He is there.  He is still there, though he does not fit well into my lap anymore.  We belong to each other and we always will.

Just to prove I do not always wear blue, I wore this rose and brown outfit on Sunday.

                                  The Return of Mushroom Head
Don't you love the vacuum in the background?  It's there just to make you think I actually do housework and to prove this is not a professional blog.  Nope-highly amateur.

I do not like this bright lipstick.  I thought I could like it; I wanted to like it, but I don't feel right in it.  This outfit, now that I do fee right in.  The rose coloured top was once beige and I dyed it. All but the pants were thrifted, though the pants come from a phenomenal sale where I bought four pairs in different colours. You have seen the teal and the red already. These shoes are the same as in the beach pictures; they are fantastic shoes recently found at the thrift shop for $10

This ring has super powers.  It's silver and onyx and I suppose they are stylised leaves but they seem like lightning bolts of super power to me.

This was the view out my kitchen window at 6:30 this morning when I made a cup of tea.  I snapped five photos but they all look pretty much identical.  Although it's a gorgeous photo the real sky had more pink in it as well as the oranges.

I ended my weekend with a bit of dumpster diving.  I used to live in an apartment building where all sorts of delightful treasures were tossed out in the bins or sometimes left in the lobby with a 'Help Yourself' sign.  I have no qualms at all about jumping up into a bin to retrieve something that looks good, and have done so.  This time I didn't actually have to get into the bin.  Someone had placed an enormous spider plant in a five gallon nursery pot beside the bin.  Obviously it needed a good home.  I picked it up and found it trailed babies for a good four feet.  I carted it up the long drive and up the three flights of stairs to my apartment.  Sophie was thrilled to see it as she loves to eat spider plants.  I took it out to my balcony and made a big mess of soil as I dumped it out of the pot and hacked up the root ball to make the plant more manageable.  I divided it into three plants, two smaller ones and then this larger section which I have put into the shower.  With the shower doors closed it is safe from Sophie's nibbling.


26 comments:

  1. Hey Shawna, Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!

    I was so happy to see a photo of your son ... Isn't the love we have for our kids amazing? I feel the same way about my boy ... and the snuggling thing when they get big is a real problem ... that's why when anyone tells me that holding/ snuggling a baby is going to "spoil them" I say then go right ahead because it doesn't last forever!!

    Nice find with the plant! Love your sunrise photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That rose&brown outfit is one of my most favorite on you. You look wonderful in it! Lovely fun socks, and new shoes - such great finds! To me, any beach is amazing. Though I know what you mean, some places more picturesque than others.

    Your son is such a handsome guy, and it's hard to believe that it's your little boy. Kids grow so fast, don't they? Anya almost can wear my shoes!!!

    I adore your ring. Very energetic and dynamic. I think you might have missed one of my latest posts - it's all right if you don't comment, please don't feel that you have to - but I just want to make sure you read it. :)

    So happy that you had good adventures. :)

    Oh, and about photos. Actually you take very good indoor photos, Shawna! Your light is pretty amazing for indoors. I would probably bring a camera with me (if I'm in your shoes) and just ask people I meet (parents, son, friends) to take a few shots of me for my blog! People would be happy to help out, I think. Another option - out on the balcony if there is enough room. But like I said, your photos are always good even indoors.

    Love xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-my balcony is so crowded with plants and it is too small for me to get a full head to toe shot. ASK PEOPLE TO TAKE PHOTOS??? That's me shouting in shock. My family is hopeless at photos and there is no bloody way I would ask a stranger. LOL Perhaps I should teach Sophie to take photos.
      xoxo

      Delete
    2. I am always so sorry to hear when someone says "there is no way"... in my nomad's open minded world there are always, always ways! Many ways!! :) Happy search, my friend! Love xxxx

      Delete
    3. LOL- There are many ways, and many of them are not acceptable to me. I will eventually find one that is.
      xo

      Delete
  3. I love your multicoloured jacket to death! Along with the layered skirts and stri-ped socks! Lovely photo of your son, and clever housing of the spider plant :-)
    I like your bright lippy, but you must feel comfortable. Happy sunrise to you. Xo JJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahah, and I thought our beach sucked... :D At least its got lots of pebbles!!! :D Love that photo of your gorgeous boy, should photograph him more! :D
    Ah yes, my favorite colorful hoodie! I enjoy your style so much, it always looks like something a sorceress would wear! A fashionable sorceress too!
    Oh so cool, I'd love to go bin digging with you someday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH Keit, how I would adore being a sorceress! At least I can dress like one.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful day with your son. He is a handsome man! No matter how big they get, they are always our babies, right? I love spider plats. We have a couple in our living room. What a fun thing to find while dumpster diving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your son is very handsome. I can't even get my son to look anywhere near a camera. He even suggested his senior pictures next year be the back of his head while he stares at the corner! I asked him if he could at least wear a tux??

    I often try brighter lipsticks too and always wipe them off after about an hour or so. They're a great idea, but then always feel to made up unless it's at night or something like that.

    Love your two looks. Especially the dyed top and short cardigan over the top. And I think you definitely need to fire that cleaning lady. Leaving the vacuum out like that is a trip hazard!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son does not like his picture taken either and that is a stealth photo. I pretend to be taking tons of photos in that direction but of the scenery and then I turn ever so slightly and get a picture of him.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. beautiful pic of your son!!!
    how wonderful of him to take you out for icecream and sunbathing at the beach. is this the haircut you did?
    both ensembles (i´m tired of the word "outfit") you´r wearing are totally you, warm brown, capricious purple.....
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the haircut. I often cut his hair dry, so it will look a bit different next time he washes and combs his own hair.
      I like ensemble and agree it is time for a change from outfit.
      You are saying I am warm and capricious? I think I can live with that! LOL
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. There is a lot of masterful layering going on in this post. I dug the two skirts you layered, but the rose top over what looks like another skirt over the harem-style pants? It looks amazing! So does your ring. :D

    Your son is so handsome! I see the resemblance. :D I love seeing families crop up in blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a dress actually, cropped sweater over tunic over dress over pants. :-) Yup Lots of layers!
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. How wonderful to have a beach that pretty so close (and a handsome young man to accompany you).
    Those rose tones really look good. I'm the same with darker lipstick, I don't like how it makes my face look - too grown up and sensible. Neon's far more frivolous and silly.
    Lovely spider plant. How are your macrame skills? Wouldn't some 1970s-tastic plant holders look lovely suspended from a window frame? Sophie-proof and all! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I object to grown up and sensible. I did that when I was 12. While I recognise that the colour suits me, I feel rather like my lips are trying to take over the world so I prefer something that looks more 'nude'. My macrame skills are negligible but I do own a few macrame hangers which I definitely intend to employ.
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Ms Shawna! I adore your outfits! gorgeous colours and layering (I'm trying to think of the right word to describe the colour, I can't! nevermind, it would have been awesome though hehe!) the spider plant is lush, how wonderful to bag it! I like to think a hoover in the background is adding texture to photo's! I do it a lot, soooo de rigeur! I like your lippy too, it's funny certain tones and colours just will not do though (my red lippy HAS to be blue red) It's a beautiful photo of your handsome son too, I hope he isn't very cross about being published though! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you got to spend the day with your favourite red head ... there's nothing better ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dumpster diving sounds like something I would enjoy!! Any beach is a good beach when you are with your son and the day looked lovely. Love your beach outfit!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sons and beaches are a perfect combination!
      xoxo

      Delete
  14. Living so far away from the coast, I am of the opinion that any beach is a joy, and your pebbly, non-busy one looks delightful. What a fine young man your son is! I look at my eldest daughter, as she nears my height and has all of a sudden developed a woman's body, and can't quite get my head round the fact that she was my first baby...
    Two gorgeous looks here, soft and layered and in Shawna colours, a little bit arty, a little bit hippy, a whole lot comfortable and so very you! Love that ring. The spider plant is a monster, are you sure it isn't a Triffid? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are right-any beach is a joy and even this dirty-rock beach is lovely. Your daughter will always be your first baby even when she is a young woman you also consider a friend.
    I think I should put your words over my closet door: Shawna colours-a little bit arty, a little bit hippy, a whole lot comfortable
    If it is a Triffid Sophie will take it down, no problem.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can honestly say you are he queen of layering. Love the different shades of purple in your outfits. Your son is a handsome young man. I can tell this is a proud mum moment. xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, yuo have a gorgeos style, how I like such clothings!
    Will follow you now.
    Greetings from Germany :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.