Monday, 8 September 2014

What To Wear With...

No there isn't going to be any advice here, no burning questions answered, only more questions asked.  I was considering the concept of closet orphans recently, a term I am newly using and I'm not sure who gets the credit for coining it or where I first heard/read it.   I regularly go through my closet and just examine what I have, and while I should probably not admit that I have such abundant spare time on my hands there it is.  I admit it.  Sometimes it's the colour which doesn't work as well as I thought it would, or it's the shape which perhaps explains why it was on sale.  Sometimes it just looks better on the hanger than it does on me.

Whenever I dive into my closet for fun I get the urge to re-organise it because I cannot decide how I want it organised.  Unlike books, which I know exactly how I want organised and it isn't by colour, I cannot decide between a few options which seem very logical to me for clothing.  I used to divide my closet between warmer season and cooler season clothing and I definitely had more of the latter in my closet while summer clothes, worn mostly when I was off work, were more casual and more likely to be folded away in drawers.   More and more I am leaning towards a wardrobe of items that are multi-season and so I'm less inclined to organise them seasonally.  It makes more sense to dress for the actual weather than the particular season and where I live weather is mild for much of the year.  Anyhow, this is very nearly a digression so back to the closet.

One possible organisation option is to separate tops and bottoms and thus divide things into tops, skirts, pants, dresses, jackets/vests. Sometimes I do this.  It looks very tidy and pleases my eye.  Another is to sort everything by colour, which also looks visually pleasing and can be helpful if dressing in a hurry, though that is something I rarely/never need to do.  My sweaters are all in a cabinet to keep Sophie from sleeping on them so they are out of sight anyhow and cannot be part of this colour coordinating effort, as are my tee shirts.  What I really like doing is sorting my closet by outfits.  Making outfits on the hanger is my grown up version of dressing dolls.  I sometimes think I should just live in jeans and tee shirts myself and get a mannequin to dress up for fun.  I love to sort my clothes into outfits and then hang them all at one end of the closet, theoretically so I can select from the complete outfits when getting dressed. 

 Making outfits definitely calls my attention to any orphans I may have so it's useful in that sense but the downside is that visually I find this a messy look and I don't always want to wear these pre-assembled outfits when it comes time to dress, often because I am still struggling with the idea that it is "too fancy" to wear on a just staying home day, and sometimes because nothing I have pre-assembled suits the weather.  I still feel guilt about having more clothing than I need and yet still feel joy over clothes, colours and textiles to play with and options to suit my moods.  All I really need are jeans and a few tops and one or two nice skirts for going out. I just can't stand the boredom of that and then I fell guilt again for having the luxury of addressing that problem.

Yes, that's what I have, guilt at having a comfortable lifestyle. I don't know if I will ever get rid of that.  One can always compare oneself to others and find those who are wealthier and those who are poorer.   I am not wealthy by the standards of my own culture, though I am comfortable, but I have vast wealth compared with most in the world.  How I use my wealth involves a variety of expenditures but the only one I feel guilt about is clothing.  It still feels frivolous to me no matter how hard I try to justify it as self care.  Fussing over how to organise my closet, how to dress myself and bothering to dress well beyond what is minimally required all make me feel guilty. 

I haven't got an answer, a solution or any useful platitude.  The only thing I have to offer today are my thoughts and this photo of me with 'just washed it and can't do anything with it hair' a pre-coffee glassy stare and a colourful and comfortable outfit for staying home and writing. 




13 comments:

  1. I love the colors of this outfit! I don't own enough blue, you are making me want to shop!

    My closet it is organized by color ROYGBIV, one rack is all dresses, the other is tops on one level, and then skirts on the bottom level. I then have two hanging shelves, one side is cardigans, the other is pull-over sweaters. Then I have two small dressers, one has a drawer for pants/shorts, one for hoodies, one for t-shirts, and one for accessories. The other dresser holds bras, undies, socks, pj's, and workout clothes. It seems like a lot, but then somehow Kyle has 3x the amount that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tons and tons of blue, mainly navy, cobalt, indigo, teal and some aqua. I don't do pale blues. Blue seems to be my safe colour. You sound very organised. Is Kyle that oranised? You also, obviously have a smart closet layout-a purchased closet organiser system or you made your own. I am working with the most basic shelf and one dowel that a closet built in the eighties comes with. Hopefully some day I will get a better system.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have my frocks roughly sorted by colour, and everything else has it's drawer, such as cardigans (Winter) Cardigans (everyday), tights/socks/knickers/bras/pussybow blouses blah blad....I am fairly organised by nature, and it certainly makes getting dressed in the morning easier! I love the idea of making up outfits, but when I do, they never work when I put them on!!!!
    Thank you for your lovely comment, my G sure is dapper, more so when not on crutches!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of mine made up on hangers don't work on my body too. I still have fun doing it!
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. You are definitely a creative person, otherwise you probably wouldn't dabble in your closet like that. I find my mind wandering to my closet even during a good movie sometimes. ha! I think I've pretty much got the organized feeling down. Everything is just hanging together in categories; tops, pants, tunics, vests, skirts, etc...but like I think you said I also like to hang in outfits, on the outside of my closet door. I think sometimes I should work in retail but that's too darn much time on my feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also "dress dolls" sometimes - and not always it works on me, but still it's fun!

    I think we all compare ourselves one way or another. I often feel like a white crow no matter with whom I compare myself though - so I figured I better quit the comparing all together! :)

    You look very comfy and very yourself. I started wearing clothes at home this Summer! I found a couple of very comfy dresses and skirts at Goodwill. :)

    Love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really suit Blue!! Gorgeous colour and that outfit looks so comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've gone through a few different organisations. But at the moment I have shirts together, dresses together, pants etc. only scarves are organised by colour.
    I lose things at the back, and then rediscover them with delight! I like that system! Although having had a while op shopping now, I find this winter as it wanes, I haven't worn some things so much and want the cooler weather to stay just a little longer! You can see why some people end up selling, because they love the hunt so much, but can't afford the money or the space!
    Let the guilt go. Try and see it as an art form. You are painting with fabric beautiful pictures for others to enjoy. And I'm sure they do. What's the difference between fabric and paints or music. We might as well say none of them are important, but somehow we know they are. So dressing is part of that picture. Take your place in the sun with peace :-) And thanks for your beautiful comment about my BeautyScopes recently. It was received with joy. Xo JJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. it would be interesting for what you need that guilty feelings...... if you find out that they are totally useless your can them throw out of the window like you did with your fears months ago.
    :-)
    your staying at home outfit resembles my own "pajamas" - things i wear for couch day. although mine are not that gorgeous color! i can imagine how that electric blue lifts your mind on a early morning. maybe you should sophie train to make coffee ;-)
    have fun! xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really need to go through my closet and reorganize. One needs to spend so much time organizing their life.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to admit, I am amazed that organising one's clothes can be the source of such pondering! I have stuff hanging up, and stuff folded in drawers, and I know which is which, and that's that! I have never ever hung clothes in outfits, and mostly just decide what to wear each morning. It's not a big deal to me. Why should clothing provoke more feelings of guilty over-indulgence than, say, art, or books, or music? We could easily argue that we all have more than we "need" of those too...
    You look lovely in that shade of blue blended with green, and I bet that is a really comfortable outfit to wear! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to consistently amaze you with my ponderings. There is no good reason why clothing should provoke more guilt than anything else but for me it does. I don't claim to make any sense. ;-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. I can honestly say that I never give my wardrobe or it's organisation … in my case disorganisation … a thought. I shoved everything in there the day I moved in and it's been sitting there … as is … ever since.
    Yet another example of what a lazy sloth I am ;0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.