Saturday, 6 December 2014

Seasonal Colourings

I am not one of those people who gets depressed by grey weather, which is fortunate since I live on the west coast of British Columbia, Canada.  The natural colourings for much of the year here are greys, taupes, browns, greyed greens and blues.  I actually love those colours and love to wear them too.  I find that as winter blends into a softened greyed look I want to do the same thing with what I am wearing.  By March I will be getting weary of this though and ready to transition into spring. April will have me longing for some colour.  Again, this fits with the natural seasons, as there are sunnier days with a bit more intensity to the blues and greens, purples, pinks and yellows are emerging in the wild flowers.  I don't wear yellow comfortably, but I will be happily dressing in more pink and purple by April.  Summer sun is high overhead and that intense light makes more saturated colours a good choice since the bright light washes out the softer ones and I am never sporting a suntan which would give contrast to pale colours and make them stand out.   I gravitate towards deeper pinks and teals by mid summer.  Autumn weather can vary here though the sunny days usually extend into mid October, giving way to the grey and wet days by the end of the month.  It's another transition time.

In this picture I am wearing my dark neutrals.  It's a mix of charcoal, dark denim and dark brown.  The lighting inside is dark this time of year and even with a flash and lightening the photo in my basic editing programme everything looks a little more intense and dark than it actually is.  I notice that with my hair as well as the clothes and the fact that my cross body bag barely shows up.  My hair is light brown, my sweater is charcoal-slate grey. I am also wearing makeup here and although the colours are very soft and I used a light touch, I think it looks quite a bit more dramatic than my usual bare face.  While my clothing changes with the seasons my makeup doesn't other than the amount I may choose to wear.



 Makeup. I do wear it sometimes.  Usually on my blog posts you see me bare faced as I don't wear it often but I do actually know how to use it.   Here is my stash of makeup and tools.  I have more than I need and as you can see I don't bother to organise it. 




What makeup am I wearing in this photo?  In this photo I've done eyes and lips and a light dusting of powder to compensate for that camera flash shine.  If I were going somewhere fancy or if I felt I was looking pale or unwell I might use a tinted moisturizer but my skin is quite fair and most can look orange on me.  It's tricky to find one that is very pale and cool in tone.  I seek colour names like ivory and vanilla but those turn up in heavier foundations more often.  The tinted moisturizers rarely are light enough for me and they usually contain sunscreen which I don't want in it.

Why no sunscreen?  I am rarely outdoors in the sun or even on a cloudy day for long periods of time.  If I were going to be I would use a separate sunscreen.

So here are my favourite emergency face products that do not make me orange or look too dark on my skin.

Almay Smart Shade CC cream and Almay Smart Shade pressed powder in Light


Eyes probably get the most attention when I bother but I prefer neutrals.  If I lived the sort of life where I went out at night or attended parties I might play with some colours but I don't so I don't.


Great Lash mascara by Maybelline in brownish black.  The eye shadows are Revlon and in the above photo I am wearing the two lightest shades of taupe on the far left.  The greys in the palette on the right are very silvery and look quite glamorous on me.  For the photo I experimented with the darker brown in my brows but it is too dark for my liking and not ash enough.  I feel overdone with powdered brows.  The pencil is by Annebelle and is called Rich Chocolate though it seems to be quite a dark taupe.

Lips instantly make me look made up even the most subtle shades.  I favour soft mauve/pinks and am always looking for the perfect one in the perfect formula.  I want light, sheer and long lasting.  Those qualities don't really go together.  The closest I have come to that is the akwardly named Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain in Honey.  That is the chubby pencil in the photo.  The bullet is L'oreal lip balm which goes on soft and sheer but of course doesn't stay on long.  Overall, while colour on my lips looks nice for the way it gives me a rosy glow, I don't really like the shape of my mouth and don't like to emphasise it.  It might help if I were less self conscious in photos and could smile more. 



 Th top one on this piece of paper is the L'oreal lip balm and the bottom one is the Revlon Stain Balm.  Straight from the tube I find the Revlon one too thick and heavy so I always blot it.  For the photo of myself today I experimented with putting the L'Oreal balm on top of the blotted Revlon.  It looks and feels like too much to me.


I am always aiming for nearly natural but slightly better.  Some pale pinks are too pale and frosty looking or too bright on me.  A slight mauve undertone is usually good.  The L'oreal has a slightly more brownish tone than the Revlon does.  I am not a bright lipstick person.  There are other colours which look good with my own colouring but I don't feel comfortable wearing them.


Half an hour later, and two cups of tea the lip balm has worn off (it wouldn't have it I'd used just the Revlon.  And here, is a scary closeup just to prove I do  not, by any means, have flawless skin but I am confident displaying my real skin to the world:  I am human.  I have pores and freckles and only photo shop is going to get rid of my dark circles.  I took this photo by the window to get natural light and more accurate colour.



18 comments:

  1. Interesting. I always enjoy women's accounts of using/not using makeup because they vary so widely. Men think all women act the same but the diversity I find among women is huge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all the men have to do is ask us and we will tell them that! LOL. No we do not all act the same and not all of us go to the washroom in groups either. ;-)
      xo

      Delete
  2. Your use of make up is nice and natural. I admire those that can go for bold and statement make up but I just cannot do that without looking like a cheap hooker!! I have just realised your nose is pierced. Mine used to be!! Hurrah!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it takes very little makeup to look bold and dramatic on me but it's not a look I aim for. Yes, I've had a small white gold stud in my nose for several years. I don't like the big sparkly ones that many people go for as they don't seem to suit me. The stud in my nose doesn't show up in most photos I take for the blog but it's always there.
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Are those your new boot socks? They look great!
    I like minimal makeup, and because you have such pale colouring I think it suits you.
    I find as I age I really don't like too much eye makeup. In fact these days I do without everything except lipstick. I do go all out sometimes with red lips, but I think my dark hair balances it out alright.
    Your hair looks so elfin and cute in this shot.
    I had to laugh at your warts'n'all shot. Where exactly are the flaws?
    You should see our sun damaged skin! Yikes!
    Nice to see you posting again. Honestly I for one enjoy your posts and don't feel hard done by if you can't reciprocate with comments. If you don't post I miss you!
    But no pressure :-D xo JJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes those are my homemade boot socks. I find that even minimal makeup and muted colours look dramatic enough to me as I am so used to my un-made up face. I think dark hair like yours does balance a deep lip colour and suits red. On me I think it goes beyond colouring and is in part also the shape of my face and lips that makes me dislike a bold mouth.

      I suppose I am lucky not to have sun damaged skin but I certainly do see the signs of my face again. It is drooping-lol-and I just get softer and softer looking. I see poors and wrinkles and freckles but they are mine so I am rather fond of them. The black circles under the eyes I am less pleased with and I suppose associate them with my illness.

      If I make it to reading and commenting on any blogs I make it to yours!
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. you have a very good skin!
    not being in the sun may help here a lot.
    last summer i wanted to buy a tinted moisturizer too (first time) but i have the same problem as you - to dark for my skin. so i stick to my pale powder for even out the red nose and chin and the dark under the eyes.
    a nice lipstick color for you would be rosewood. buy a liner in the matching color too so you can change the lines slightly. line, powder, color, wait, blot a bit. this will take the lippy a longer way :-)
    and rouge would be perfect for your fair complexion, i use it under the chin and near the forehead hairline too.
    if you know this already - delete it :-)
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beate, thanks for all your suggestions. You are right, rosewood is a good colour for me though it can sometimes feel to me that it is too dark. I would blot it quite a bit. I am picky about both colour and formula for lipstick so have a very difficult time finding something I like. Once I line and powder and blot etc it all starts to look too 'done up' for my liking so what I am really after is a light weight lip stain. As I age my face gets softer and droopier looking and I think a very light touch with makeup is best.
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I've done all sorts of make up regimes over the years, but I keep it fairly simple these days - as long as I have eyeliner, mascara and lipstick, I'm more or less done!
    The natural make up you've shown here really suits you. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look gorgeous in that top photo, that rock chick chic and flicky out hair really suits you. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-thanks Vix. I seem to be doing the angry scowl to go along with my rocker look. I love your description 'flicky out hair'. That's what I get when I blow dry with my head upside down which is a very simple and quick routine for getting my thick hair dry.
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. Shawna, you look beautiful and cool! Love the polka dot scarf, and love seeing you in your "new" boots and purse. I also have not realized that you have your nose pierced! How adventurous of you, I like it :) This light make-up really suits you. It emphasizes your delicate lovely face. I also have a simple routine and don't do make-up often (though for feeling fancy and for blog photos I typically do). I use a similar to yours brown palette for eyes and mostly experiment with lipsticks - from my many years neutral mauve/ dusty rose tones to more adventurous deep red/burgundy/purple. I did not wear red lipstick until just recently (the last year or so) - but now I really enjoy it.

    ps I did not mean to imply in my last comment that you did not know yourself and only now getting to know yourself... What I meant to say, keep discovering. I think our inner landscape is as various and exciting as nature landscape or gardens, or cities, or new countries for that matter. There are some things we know about it, and some things which sneak up on us. We grow and change... Well at least that's what I know. :) Much love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia yes, I do have a rebellious side and can do a little soft punk-LOL. Who else but me would pair dusty rose tones with a nose stud? I think you look really amazing in your dramatic lip colours but I don't imagine you in full dramatic makeup going about your every day routine. I have tried red lipstick in the past, even found shades I loved, but it just doesn't feel right for me. It doesn't suit my face or my mouth. I really like how your 'fancy' look is stunning and dramatic but also feminine and warm. It suits you so well.

      I think you are so right about our inner landscapes. I had to give up gardening so now I am cultivating my inner landscape more instead. :-)
      xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. Hi lovely!!
    You look lovely with this make up. I like the natural shades. On a daily basis, I don't wear makeup but if I to out I wear eyeliner, Concealer on dark circles and glitter eyeshadow if going out. X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how you're looking today, Madam! So pretty, and not sure it's the makeup. But makeup always helps me. Your palette is very chic and subtle ... I'm happy to get a recommendation on the lip stain ... been looking for one and shopping for lipstick is an unpleasant activity for me. Everything goes reddish on my lips, so I'm experimenting.
    I identify with the urge to go with the natural world for color during the winter. I wore just a touch of red with black and white because I saw a single cardinal at our feeder, against the dark branches of our old, old oat and a white fence. There's an urge to go "beneath" during this time of year. I don't see things as dead in winter, just resting and fallow and preparing for new growth to come.
    Lovely to see you and read your always interesting posts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well this look is just too cooool!!!! Your light make up is fantastic.I have tried so many makeup brands and have finally settled for MAC products. They give me great cover and I finally found my perfect shade, so its all good. Love the Halle Berryish hairstyle. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think these photo's are fabulously dramatic, I really like them! you are cool as... (I can't say the word haha, but it rhymes with luck!) your make-up is beautifully subtle, I adore natural, I really do, I have to have concealer although since I stopped smoking my under eye dark circles are becoming lighter, it's a bit of a bonus! x x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Shawna ... All the way on the other side of the earth I use the same mascara as you and am currently also using Almay CC Cream!

    Love your look in the polka dot scarf!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.