Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Endless Guilt and Exaggeration

I admit I am prone to a bit of hyperbole at times, and apparently I recently described my feelings over my wardrobe as involving endless guilt.  There is certainly a grain of truth in that and probably more than one grain, nevertheless I do allow myself a bit of poetic license.  Still, with some people responding to my feelings about clothing by telling me that they find clothing fun, a creative outlet or a form of entertainment, I am realising that for the most part I don't.  What I would like is a life sized Barbie.  A dress form would do.  I enjoy making outfits, I do enjoy the creativity of putting things together, but often I do not actually wish to wear them.  Enjoying this process, playing with clothing while it is on the hanger or coming home from the thrift shop with a great find, is not translating well into my daily choices.  I am an over-thinker and the more clothing I have the more it encourages my over-thinking.  I thought it would be the other way around.  I thought lots of options would make getting dressed easy or fun but for me, it doesn't.

Of course, that is in part because of some of my admittedly weird ideas.  Ideas I cannot seem to shake.  A full closet looks cluttered to me.  Clothing that goes unworn for months at a time, unless it is really out of season, bothers me as though it is my neglected child or pet or I am somehow a failure for not wearing it.  No, I don't think I need therapy for that.  I have a blog.  I have blogging friends who can say to me, Shawna you are a bit strange but it's okay.  In this way I will get on with things.  I will leave you with an outfit photo and now I must go and hit the booze because my neighbour is massacring good songs over and over and over, hitting only every fifth note accurately, and I might as well pretend I am at a karaoke bar.  And that, my friends, is NO exaggeration.

And now, for your viewing pleasure, I present a cafe outfit.  The cafe post comes later because putting the words and pictures that belong together in the same post, well that is for normal people!


                                     Featuring The Joni Scarf

The boots I am wearing are black.  I have gotten rid of black clothing but still have a few items, boots and shoes, which I love and happen to be black.  I will keep them until they are eventually replaced with something similar but not black.  I often wear dark brown and it can be indistinguishable from black in the photos.  That's kind of irrelevant but I just thought I'd add it.

hat, skirt, sweater-thrifted
scarf-gifted
boots, bag-retail

8 comments:

  1. My daughter tells me weird (or strange) is good. I think lots of people feel that they are weird from time to time (what? only me??). You look great in this outfit! Lovely! Hats look great on you, and Joni's scarf is gorgeous. Have a great time in a cafe! Lots of good writing and good feeling right there in the heart area. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you go to the cafe whilst the singing is going on?
    Better yet get yourself a karaoke machine and every time she sings … sing back at her :0)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have started going to the cafe on Monday's at singing lesson time, but I came home about fifteen minutes too early this week. I bought some ear plugs. :-)

      Delete
    2. Yes, I have started going to the cafe on Mondays at singing lesson time. I just came home fifteen minutes too early this week. I bought some ear plugs though. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I do this too! I over think outfits, especially if I have to dress someone else, like for example I'm doing a makeover for a friend of mine and I started agonizing over the fact I wasn't quite sure what would suit her and what wouldn't. Sometimes I put too much pressure on me because of the blog and curse myself for not being original enough....And the trick here is to know when to stop. Whenever I catch myself doing this, and catch myself feeling miserable, I immediately stop. I say to myself "fuck it, I don't give a fuckity fuck, I'll do whatever the fuck and whatever happens..fuck" :D It works, try it! :D
    I love your style, it's always incredibly fun and arranged beautifully, with tons of interesting textures and layers. Do whatever makes you happy Shawna, cause you kick ass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My latest strategy, of putting nearly everything out of sight in another closet is actually making me more creative. I am seeing things in new ways. I tend to employ 'feckity-feck' as a strategy and it works quite as well as fuckity-fuck.
      I want you to move to Vancouver Island so we can hang out and not give any fucks together. I would even buy beer for you! xoxo

      Delete
  4. No, don't hit the booze, go hit that coffee shop! Heh - although there's nothing as irritating as being forced to do an activity because of a neighbour's inconsiderate behaviour. I know this from experience! Like having them play "Sounds of Silence" on the piano, ironically, very loudly. Weird just means you're alive and not a drone. Great cafe outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's very ironic! Mine likes to repeat Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah over and over for hours a day every day. I am still waiting for God to strike her mute. Living in close quarters is definitely a challenge and I am someone who really likes her space, solitude, quiet and privacy. I do not live in an apartment by choice, but overall it is still a very good situation and I know how lucky I am. And yes, I do like to affirm every day that I am not a drone. xoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.