Thursday, 19 March 2015

My Style Lessons Part Two: Lagenlook


Lagenlook, which means layered look, is a style instinctive in me.  I have always liked to wear layers not only for comfort but for the look.  Layers are so instinctive for me I even have two layered front doormats!  My hair is layered. I am a layering sort of person, no doubt.   I also find, for reasons I cannot clearly explain, that I like the physical weight of wearing layers and prefer it on all but the most sweltering of summer days.  I like lots of layers in my bedding too.  There is something about the weight that feels right to me, as though I somehow fear that I am going to float away.
                                
I am strongly attracted to some designer Lagenlooks and especially to a very Victorian Lagenlook.  Both could easily make me feel like I am wearing a costume but experimenting is teaching me how to borrow elements or re-create similar looks from separately accumulated pieces.  The Victorian inspired look below has the required trim torso shape but the different coloured skirts are too busy for me.  These designer pieces are also way beyond my budget.                                             



                                                 image source              

I think of this above look as suffragette-librarian.  Somehow that seems quite suited to me.

I love this ensemble but it looks so obviously like it is a set created by a designer that I would feel I am in a costume. I use it as inspiration and note that this is a jacket type I think I could comfortably wear and which would be flattering on me so long as it gives subtle waist definition.  For my subtle waist.  Also, while I admit to a fondness for a rumpled look and a lack of desire to iron, this is just a bit too much like it was slept in all week.

                                               image source

This coat looks like a style that would be flattering on me and I could comfortably wear.  It also looks like something I could potentially make some day.

                                                image source

In this type of Lagenlook pictured below, I appear as though the birth of my baby is imminent.  I have tried and abandoned this style, always feeling sort of lost in the clothes.  The bright colours and chunky beads are also not me but they suit this style well.  This look screams middle aged female artist, which is what I am, but this look is not for me. 

                                              image source


There is a wide range of what is categorised as Lagenlook and it has a sister style in the Mori look. I don't worry about whether or not I am doing either or doing it right.  My lagens sometimes skew Mori because the ten year old me would have loved the Mori-girl style.  If it gets too girly and frilly I feel silly though and it has a costumey feel.

A skirt like this one seems both Lagenlook and boho, with a touch of pirate woman.  I have skirts like this already and would probably scoop this one up if I came across it in a thrift shop.With a peasant blouse and sandals it's great for summer boho.  With another skirt underneath and a long sleeved top with a waistcoat, a scarf, some fingerless gloves and some lace up boots, I'd consider it a perfect winter Lagenlook.



A note on bloomers and voluminous pants:

I have yet to try them though I am tempted.  I found a pair of bloomers in a thrift shop and they await a dye bath to tone down the bright spring green.  I intend to experiment with them as the weather warms up.  I have some slightly baggy cropped pants but nothing as voluminous as I often see in lagenlook images.  I don't want to spend much money experimenting with this but perhaps a sewing project is in the cards.  Most store purchased pants, voluminous or not, are too short for me unless I want to pretend they are cropped pants.

This combination appeals to me.  The overall silhouette is similar to a tunic sweater worn with a maxi skirt.  I am dreaming of these trousers made in wool jersey for winter and linen for summer.

                                    Image Source

I am attracted to the pants that read as a skirt and offer a clean, flat waistline like these ones.

                                      Image Source

And to bloomers under a skirt that read like an underskirt. I would definitely  wear this whole look.


Cropped full trousers with this style detail at the hem also really appeal to me, though I am wondering if they look better with heels.  (Is it just me or does this poor model look like her feet are stuffed into shoes that are too small?)

                                               Image Source

I believe that a pattern for these pants above, or something very similar, is available from the Marci Tilton sewing patterns.  This is where I would like to go next with my experimenting.  I hope to make a pair of pants this Spring, but first I will try wearing my thrift shop bloomers.  Stay tuned!

12 comments:

  1. Bloomers are fabulous! I wear some antique handsewn French ones (knee length)I bought through Etsy under my tunics, esp. the ones with side splits for a summer look. So cute!
    Loving all this development. I agree about the form fitting top and waist.
    Can't wait to see the dye job!
    Pao of Project Minima uses Marcy Tilton patterns. Have you seen hers?
    On the topic of my footwear...I can't point my feet very well, so I also have problems getting into shoes without laces or zips! I know what you mean!
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have seen some of Pao's creations and am in total awe. I have a fantasy that sewing is easy for me and I am highly skilled and I just whip up gorgeous clothes the way some of these amazing bloggers, including you, do! I think I will be pleased with myself if I can just get to the point of making a couple of basic things a year. First I have two upcycled skirt projects on the go that I really should finish. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I'm dying to see some drapey creations you'll come up with on your sewing machine. I love the whole Eileen Fisher look but no way would I spend that kind of money. My sewing enthusiasm sort of took a dive but I'd love to make drapey layers in linens, silks, etc....I love the outfit in the last photo. I can see you in that in many different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love that one too. I am worried about the shoes though. Heel do help to keep it from looking frumpy I think. You might die waiting for me to create something! Let's hope not. I have always been attracted to Eileen Fisher things too but definitely not the prices. Also, I look at them and wonder, how do you style that with rain boots? xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love this look and can't wait to see what you come up with when you sit down in front of your sewing machine!!!

    That poor model in the last photo looks like she may just trip right out of those shoes which certainly look like they are many sized too small for her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to learn things. Thanks for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. eek - i can feel her foot pain!
    actually i think this kind of pants need optical heavier shoes, i.e. the kind you like to wear. i´m exited that you will sew! if you ever has a question - drop me a line. :-)
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I experimented with this look a while back and found I came to some of the same conclusions you did. I do find the look intriguing. I like the idea of layering. I do feel some of these looks to be costumy. I do find that some ladies young or older look really good in this style. I however hated the look on my body type. I just thought I looked ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All are beautiful and inspiring, and you create gorgeous lagenlook outfits yourself! I'm looking forward to yours! Miss them. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. the last pair of pants really stole my heart. I love layering but I find it somewhat challenging sometimes...so thank you for this inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate, I have an entire Pinterest board called "Sack dress love" (pretty sure I've drooled over that taupe bubble skirt look in the middle numerous times!). At 40 I know what you mean about not wanting to look too "middle aged artist" with the baggy folkloric Lagenlook style, but I do love it. I have a couple of gauze skirts that I live in when it's warm, once you start with this look it is quite addictive! I adore that last look, perfection :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved this look for ages (you can only do biker chic for so long!) And it's seen me through weight gain and loss and gain again and still looked great. Xx

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.