Sunday, 5 July 2015

Just Another Hazy Sunday

Wildfires in my little corner of the world have brought us that peculiar pink-brown haze in the sky.  The temperature is down about ten degrees today which to my thinking makes if finally comfortable, but it is still expected to climb.  I woke up to these cooler temperatures and this brown haze feeling a bit spooked by it.  I woke to a world that was the wrong colour.   Hot dry summers aren't unknown here, and I remember many from my childhood, but where climate change is really noticeable is in winter, when we are no longer getting both the rainfall or the snowfall we used to get.  No snow on the mountains means Comox Lake isn't getting annually topped up with melt-water and Comox Lake is our local water source.  Needless to say we have outdoor burning bans and water restrictions.  I tend to only wash my car once a year anyhow.

I have been so exhausted lately I'm getting a bit nervous about the upcoming Blogger meet-up in Vancouver.  I'm excited but worried about my limitations, so I tell myself that just showing up, getting away for a few days, meeting some new people and meeting online friends face to face is what it's all about.  If I can't go tromping all over with the gang I am going to feel left out, but that's just the reality of my life.  I can't do some things and there are so many things I want to do.   It's funny how perspective changes when inactivity is forced on you.  I would not normally like housework, not think washing the dishes or vacuuming was enjoyable by any means, but when I am struggling to find the energy to hold my body in an upright sitting position, a sink full of dirty dishes begins to taunt me, pointing out what I cannot do, and suddenly washing dishes seems very desirable.

I like a clean and tidy home but not only do I want to be able to maintain one, I want to do enjoyable things on top of that.  Ha ha ha ha ha -I hear my wrecked auto-immune system laughing at me.  Dream on!  I had hoped to get out with my camera today, taking photos of local scenes for potential painting projects but I am a purple blob on the sofa today.  I tell myself that the hazy conditions outside would ruin my photos anyhow.  I tell myself I should just curl up with Margaret Atwood. 

Despite liking the dishes to be clean, I let them pile up in the sink and I painted instead.  In a perfect world I could do both, but when has the world ever been perfect?  Perfection is boring and I do have priorities.  Perfection is something I don't aim for in my painting either.  I like it a little bit naive, a little bit wobbly.
So here is my wobbly project of the moment.  It's a little section of downtown Courtenay, the neighbouring town, painted in acrylic on fibre board.  I will likely spend another month touching it up randomly now.  As with my writing, I alternately like this painting and loathe it. 



18 comments:

  1. I love it ... its colourful and charming ... and I'm struggling to see any wobbly bits at all.
    Finding a balance between doing what should be done and doing what you'd rather do is hard enough, without throwing crippling fatigue into the mix too ... I really feel for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. If I could only train the cat to wash the dishes and vacuum....
      xo

      Delete
  2. I love this painting, Shawna. I will go for wobbly over perfection every time. About the meetup, I don't think you need to fret about feeling left out. People won't be doing things en masse I suspect. We are all so different. That area of Robson St. has lots of cafes and a tiny park. If nothing else, you can just paint and people watch - it's a great location for that. I think much of the enjoyment will be from talking as much or even more than doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Melanie. You are probably quite right about the meet up. You know me-a worrier. I will arrive early on Friday-coming on Harbour Air-and will have slow quiet time for poking around on Robson alone. Cafe sitting is my specialty. xoxo

      Delete
  3. This painting takes me to a calm place, I can imagine walking down this street, the sky is so blue and everything so serene...you captured a wonderful moment here.

    I know how it is with fatique...on those days that I'm well, I always try to do too much and end up being slightly crazy....but perfection is relative. Dirthy dishes are not the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's too serene the shop owners will not be happy! But this street does have a lovely village vibe and lots of fun non-essential shopping. You have to be careful walking along if they have just watered the flowers. Water comes dripping steadily down on your head. xoxo

      Delete
    2. yes, marketing agencies love to make a place look more dynamic, supposedly it makes one more prone to shopping...but it can't work on me because I'm broke;) so their efforts are in vain:)

      Delete
  4. lovely painting - remembers me of a small town where people go for holidays! would like to sit in the shade and sip some cool white wine - with you my friend!
    if i could come to that blogger event i would sit with you in the shade enjoying some silence. maybe reading some of your poems. :-) 3 days full of action and people would scare me to - my poor brain needs a lot of silent moments.....
    we had some rain last night!!!
    xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really lovely. I am quite a different person one on one than I am in a group. If I am shy and exhausted I might come across as unfriendly. I hope not. I do wish we could just magically transport you here. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Shawna! I love this street scene! Someone once used the word naive when describing some paintings I did a few years back. I sort of felt bad about it at first until I looked up the description and discovered that I loved that kind of painting. So turns out it's a good thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joni! I do love a naive style, also many of the fauvist work and post-impressionism. I used to do a more realistic style in watercolour but this makes me happier. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Love the painting and all the colours.

    Don't fret about the meet-up...although I've heard whispers that you are not the only one worrying. Pretty much everyone is to some extent. Maybe not for the same reasons, but really I've learned that in life you just need to sit back and let it unfold. There is only so much you can ask of yourself, especially if it is your health that is holding you back.

    I expect that people will split up into a few groups for the heavy walking afternoon (Saturday). Otherwise it should all be very manageable.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will we be a big bunch of worried women? I won't be able to do the walking. I will have to take buses or taxi cabs to get around so I will have to figure out where to meet and I will have to remember that I have a cell phone, and use it! LOL xoxo

      Delete
  7. I love your painting! It makes me smile and feel so alive. I love how I can see the texture of your brush strokes! And colors, always colors! Just lovely!

    I am like you and being in a big group is not my coup of tea. But it is a very nice group of people, many of whom you know! Remember that many of them probably feel similarly to you - a little shy, a little afraid and worried, or at least nervous. I know I would! A little nervous is all right. Just don't exhaust your mind, let it rest, then your body will start thinking, "Oh what's with that, I guess I don't need to worry too much" - and start cooperating much better. Relax. It's not a school test. We're grown ups now - wahoo!! Like Melanie said, you can always spend time in solitude watching people, sipping drinks, writing, or just doing nothing. It will be lovely! Like Beate, I will be there with you in my spirit. :)

    Sending you love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Natalia. Colours and brushstrokes, blobs and dabs, that's my style! I wish you were going to be there in body too, but I am also quite fond of your spirit. Bring Joni's spirit with you too! xoxoxo

      Delete
  8. Nice painting, but it's a little creepy knowing where the haze is created...
    Wish, I could better English to read all your long text posts and stories, sigh!
    Hope, you will stay better soon. Best wishes and prayers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you don't need better English to understand hugs! xoxo

      Delete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.