Sunday, 16 August 2015

Sometimes I Just Want to Live in a Star Trek Unitard

Clothing both delights me and frustrates me and that may be apparent by now in all my bloggy blatherings.  I have spent considerable effort figuring out what I want to wear, what suits me and how to make the two somehow line up, what colours fabrics and styles I'm happiest in, sorted out the stuff I like the look of from what I am actually comfortable wearing, played around with dressing more formally or creatively than required, and generally tried to avoid the casual jeans and tee-shirt uniform that suits my lifestyle.  I have had fun, learned a great deal and am still learning but I see some changes coming.

*While minimalism and capsule wardrobes are not quite right for me, I do crave simplicity.  After having fun playing, I find I do not regularly wish to express my creativity in my clothing.  I want to grab something easy, comfortable and flattering that suits my body, my life and my personality.  I mostly wish to direct my creative energy to places other than my clothing. 

*I know what I want but finding it is not easy and making it is not a likely option.  For this reason I am increasingly interested in having fewer items but willing to spend more money on them than I may have in the past because it's worth it to get the right thing.

*Quality is rarely found in my local thrift shops and I would rather pay for quality, non-fast fashion clothing. 

*On the other hand I am not yet prepared to spend $80 (or even $50) on a tee shirt.

*I am ready, emotionally, to live mostly in jeans, tee shirts, jersey tops, leggings and tunics. 

*I want natural or naturally derived fibres and it is going to take awhile to build up a wardrobe that goes beyond cheap cotton.  I will wear the jeans and tee shirts until I find the right skirt or dress of my dreams in wool jersey.

*There is my fantasy wardrobe and then there is reality-the reality of my lifestyle, my bank account and what is available to me. 

*I need to invest in some light weight warmth layers for winter and it's time to allow myself to spend money on something that is not visible. 

*It's okay to hold onto some of my less than ideal things as I wait to eventually replace them with something better, but I would rather live with fewer options than keep dressing myself in things that don't feel good or flatter me, which I am prone to doing.  This is essentially a re-wording of my first point but it's been a hard one for me to really follow through on so it's worth saying twice.



Here are two outfits that are staying in my closet and one that isn't.

This dress could be better but it is the best I've got for now.  There is something about the design of it that makes my shape look a bit odd, as though I am bending forward slightly and sticking my bum back.  It's some sort of optical illusion created by the seaming at the mid-section which I think perhaps sits a bit too low on my torso.  It's a lovely heavy weight jersey fabric and I love the denim blue colour so it stays for now.


I just can't get the lighting right in my photos lately and colours are not always accurate.  In a previous post my purple dress looks black and in this outfit below the blue leggings also look black. The shoes look darker than they really are too, and are a red to match the dress but almost look brown in this picture.


This  green dress has a flattering shape on me but the fabric is cheap and thin and I have to wear a slip or second skirt under it. It also instantly shows perspiration which is not so good for a pre-menopausal woman.   After wearing this outfit several times I am not as happy with it as I was initially. It did teach me how to aim for a more body skimming shape though, and cost me about $8 so I think I've gotten my money's worth. I abandoned the necklace after taking this picture.

                           I will hypnotise you with my stare and my blinding watch face.


              It ended up being too hot to keep the cardigan on -the cardigan which is also blue and not black as it almost looks here.    It's kind of obvious which outfit I'm happiest in, isn't it? 


17 comments:

  1. Nice outfits. BTW, I have a Starfleet officer's uniform you can borrow, if you wish. Original series. My dream-look would be the kind of clingy jumpsuit T'Pol wears on "Enterprise" (the last series).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd want a body like T-Pol's to go in it! Next time I have a high school reunion to go to I'm going to call you and borrow that uniform! xo

      Delete
  2. Like you said, the first outfit's stripes are weird! But the colour is lovely.
    My fav is the middle one. Great shape on you and kinda cheeky! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how some people love that dress and some think it's weird. Just goes to show you can't please everyone! You and I like the middle outfit and Beate doesn't. A good reminder to wear whatever we like ourselves, right? xoxo

      Delete
    2. I'm in agreement: I think the red dress looks great on you. Something about looking flowing and comfortable and Shawna and also having the right collar or sleeve length or something to be very flattering, too.

      Delete
  3. what should i say? i know everything about fashion, style, esthetic. i´d spend the last two month in home sewn casual shorts and a sports bra. nothing more for hanging around the property. threw one of my many cotton dirndl skirts and a little cotton blouse over for the public. without looking in the mirror. once your looks are fare away enough from the jeans&tee mainstream you don´t have to bother with flattering, matching and pleasing :-) and i found that "uniform" perfect for the 38°C summer that we have/had this year - the light, voluminous draped fabric provides shade and lets the breeze in.
    and i never will understand how jeans (pants and jacket) can be comfortable - stretch or not. when i remember right the fabric and cuts are restricting, either to warm or to cold and pinch in the wrong places..... maybe one has to grow up in such garments to find them good.
    i like both long dresses - the short one looks to me like a school uniform - saw such little dresses on australien students - worn with a boater.
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL-well I never had to wear a school uniform so maybe I'm just trying that out. I do look rather fetching in a boater.

      It's very kind of you to put more clothes on for the sake of the public. ;-) I like light, voluminous and draped fabric in hot weather too and I like to have a skirt I can flap and make a breeze around my legs.
      Jeans-people often love them or hate them. I love them when they are the right pair but the right pair is hard to find.
      I just want to be comfortable and not look twice the size I actually am. It's not as easy as it sounds! xoxo
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Just having things you like that feel good on you in your closet is a start. Then you can't help put pull out the good stuff to wear. It doesn't matter how few or how many things you have. Like you said, it's what you like & how it feels on you that matters. Anything else can go or doesn't get in the door to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that how I feel, both emotionally and physically is so important to me!

      Delete
  5. Clothes frustrate me, too, quite often. There are times when I hate everything in my closet, can't find a single thing I like in shops, and I want to send angry letters to all fashion designers, suggesting that they have no idea what a real woman looks like... And these days I'm happy with a more limited wardrobe (for the above mentioned reasons and because I travel a lot), consisting of clothes that flatter my body and are made of quality materials. But I still get frustrated, every now and then. Maybe once a week. And on my 'fat days', and whenever magazines are full of 'new season collections'...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many things to be frustrated about and I would like to reduce the frustration. Experimenting is fun but now I'm tired. I just want quality clothes that are flattering and comfortable and of course I am still adjusting to the reality of my lifestyle. I still find myself attracted to career clothes. I have to learn to think like a retired person-lol.

      Delete
  6. I love the first two outfits on you, and I really like the color of the dress in the last picture with your skin, but I've had outfits like that where something's just 'off' when I wear it. I'm trying to figure out lighting in this basement so I can return to outfit pics, too. Indoors is hard!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy to see you! You look gorgeous in these photos - especially the first two, yes, it's obvious what outfits you really like here. I think we all go through stages, and it seems you are ready for the next step or layer, or level of your relationship with closes. No frustration is needed, that's for sure. Wear whatever you like, for now, and look for what you will love - for the future. I think I will tell it to myself too, when I feel bored with my closet or approach to my style. :) So far, I'm enjoying the game, and it is definitely one of main ways to explore and express creativity for me. Though not the only one! :)

    Hugses! xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we shouldn't be quick to dismiss things based on how they photograph either, especially things we feel comfortable in! I am new to the self photography thing (still need a tripod) but having the oh take a few pics where everything looks awful then suddenly the right angle is found requires a lot of trial and error. The blue and black stripes really compliment your colouring and I think it is very flattering but I know how it feel when you think something doesn't sit right - but honestly it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The striped maxi is my favourite, it looks wonderful on you and you radiate cool. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I read this post a couple of times before and then remembered I didn't comment. So here I am - late to the party as usual.

    Clothes. Gaaa. Why can't we all run around naked? And be pleased with that? I really like your blue striped maxi, even with the waist thingy. And the red, and you're smiling! Love it. The green, well, anything that requires that many work-arounds is definitely pushing its luck.

    Quality in clothing is definitely addictive and also expensive, unless you score big-time in a thrift shop or find the motherlode of sales. Patience in is a virtue in this regard.
    Indoor photography sucks!! Always I curse at the lack of light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is it the second one? in that outfit you're smiling...and that red tunics/dress is quite lovely...too about blue tights appearing black as I think it is an interesting colour combo blue and black....

    I actually quite like that first dress with stripes, especially that part in the middle...but if you don't like it. The green dress is cool, but if the material doesn't work neither does the dress.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.