Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Today I am wearing my favourite shorts and blouse combination because it's supposed to be our last nice weather for a few weeks.  I should have ironed or steamed my clothes but I didn't so I am too wrinkled to consider putting my photo on the internet...oh wait...I have put all sorts of unflattering pictures of myself on the internet.  And perhaps wrinkled clothing could detract from personal wrinkles.  It's a strategy worth trying.....

...I forgot that my hair is still damp from the shower.  Oh well, the camera has nicely removed about half the wrinkles  so that's a win.

I'm here to talk about legs and knees today.  I have a tendency to hide mine and I am not putting their relative merits up for debate today.  As with all things, I have better legs than some and worse legs than others.  I do know that, but I struggle not to zoom in on my perceived flaws and I have a tendency to hide myself in clothes.  I cover up as much as possible and could beat any Mormon fashion blogger in a contest of modest dressing.  (Did you know the internet is awash with young Mormon fashion bloggers? I learn such things when I wander the internet)  Now back to my legs.

By the time summer comes around I am not ready to start revealing my legs and it often takes the whole course of summer to get there.  Intellectually (if musing on legs can be considered intellectual) I know this is silly.  My emotional reactions are another thing.  I won't provide you with the list of everything I think is wrong with them but I will tell you I am on a mission to become less modest.  And what better time for that than the stage in my life when I am approaching fifty and get very little exercise?  This is who I am.  This is what I look like.  I am not the slender, muscular, tanned thing I was in youth but so what?  There isn't only one way to be or one way to look good.  I look like ME and that is the very best way I could look.  I'm calling this look boho-minimalism and the pose is called Hey, Check Out My Knees.

Real Life colours:  blouse- soft white, shorts -green, walls- mustard, carpet- beige, scary floors -just as they are.

Posing Tips:  Try standing beside a struggling plant. It makes you look like you are thriving.

18 comments:

  1. Good Morning Director of Awesome. I too have become more comfortable with Me, and wear shorts and dresses above my knee way more than I did when I was younger. It makes me laugh, because I most definitely looked more toned and slender when I was younger. sigh. Life's weird, no?

    Love your type two stacks of books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Sue! I have stacks of books all over my home. Four others in addition to that one but that one is the prettiest one-lol. Life is very weird, but that's what makes it fun. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Great posing tip!
    I don't have a problem showing my legs but feel more "me" in maxi length.
    You look fab in your shorts and that crinkly hippy-tastic top is gorgeous. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have lovely legs! I have always been uncomfortable showing lots of flesh. Even when it was younger flesh. xoxo

      Delete
  3. Isn't it funny and strange the little criticisms we find in our own bodies as we age? I never worried about my knees until this year, partially because I could hear everyone else worrying about theirs and so I realized they were getting rather wrinkly. Of all the places I thought I would wrinkle my knees wasn't one of them. {sigh}

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it Demi Moore who had cosmetic surgery on her knees ten years ago? Women's bodies are so objectified and picked apart. I'm fed up with it and fighting back by baring my knees-damn it! xoxo

      Delete
  4. You can't be shy about showing your legs over here in Oz ... come summer it's just too hot not to.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would die in that heat. I would just not get dressed at all and lie on my bed with wet towels and a fan. xoxo

      Delete
  5. As a master avoider of the iron I thoroughly approve of this look - in fact if you looked inside my closet you would find any number of "wrinkly on purpose" cheeseclothe/muslin type blouses - I do find white is the best for getting away with the most wrinkle though! ;-) I also have leg issues this year, my legs used to be the one part of me that no matter what were decent looking - alas sloth and age have caught up with my podgy knees, but we mustn't hide ourselves away either, our skin deserves some vitamin D from time to time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrinkly on purpose is a great invention! I do like my portable steamer though. I declare podgy knees are the new skinny knees! Bring on the podgy knees! xoxo

      Delete
  6. Wahoo! Here is to less modest Shawna!!! :) You look wonderful in your poetic shirt and shorts! Just wonderful!

    Sending my love xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. you´r a real fashion blogger - you did the "half tuck"
    ;-P
    i´m so glad i did all this "baring" stuff when i was young and firm. nothing to regret - i gained a lot of confidence by walking down the street and into a night club or university in a micro mini dress and high heels. now i can wear my granny clothes or hot pants - and don´t think about what others will think or not.....
    but maybe one has to grow up on this side of the pond for that.
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disappointed to discover the half tuck was a thing. I thought I'd invented it-lol. When I was young I was still a modest dresser. The flesh was firm but I was still uncomfortable showing it. I am sure I was raised to be modest but some of it is just who I am as well. xoxo

      Delete
  8. you know I really think this shirt looks better without ironing...it makes it more boho and it is wonderfully paired with those shorts. I love this kind of relaxed outfits....and I hate ironing in the Summer so I might use that excuse for myself and suddenly develop a need for boho chic dressing.

    I'm very new to the concept of modest dressing, I've only heard about it on USA blogs, I don't think we have those fashion bloggers here, especially I don't see a link between religion and dressing here...but who knows, maybe that is the new thing? I do think everyone has the right to intepret modest as they seem fit and dress in a way they like....

    I support you in your mission to be less modest as I think it might be a great freeing experience for you. I'm not modest myself but often I chose midi length because I feel comfortable in it. My knees are quite meaty, I only recently noticed this when one of my knee caps was killing me, but it doesn't really bother me, I found kind of find it fun that I can poke them, it's like I discovered a tiny pillow on my body that I didn't know about.

    When I opened the post, I thouht you might have changed your hair colour but then I read you were out of the shower when these shots were taken and I guess that wet hair looks darker...still, you look lovely with daker hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hair looks darker in some photos too, but yes it's still damp in that picture. I am imagining you sitting and amusing yourself poking at your knees. We must start a Love Your Knees Revolution!
      I always enjoy your thoughtful responses to my blog posts. Thank you so much for contributing to the conversation the way you do! xoxo

      Delete
  9. I can't do the half tuck, it annoys me. But admire it on others.
    Lovely legs! Straight, no bulgy knees, holding you up...just!
    Will have to remember to pose near a dying plant. Love it! Xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cute! Your legs, knees, washed hair, wrinkled clothes, are all great! If you are happy that is all that counts with me. I do wrinkled clothes, and have shorts for summer, not that short, but I have shorts. Yes its the knee thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this 'wrinkled look'... If you hadn't said that the items were not ironed I would not have known! Your legs are perfectly beautiful Shawna and deserve to be shown off in those shorts.

    I am rather overweight and was just thinking that thin bony knees are not very nice for someone to lie on ... And as Ivana Split referred to them as 'tiny pillows' mine are then perfect pillows ... LOL!!!!

    Love the pose! The books behind were my focus and not the plant.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.