Monday, 24 August 2015

Trying to Come Back

Summer tends to be exhausting, with extra social demands which are all catching up to me.  Just when I feel well enough to go out to an appointment or get some groceries, the outing leaves me ready to crawl into bed.   I've been wearing schlumpy comfortable clothes, which are the best thing when your body is sitting on the sofa schlumping more by the minute.  The few times I've gone out I've hated what I wore, made the mistake of washing my hair and ending up too fluffy, and generally gone totally makeup free because, as a young woman in Vancouver kindly pointed out to me, I am too lazy.

If I were a French woman I would never dare to be so lazy, or at least that is what the how to be Paris Chic type websites would have me believe.  I would never present the world with less than my best self.  I have something to say to that and it begins with an F and ends with THAT!  But I admit that if I made an effort I would probably look better.  I'll let you know when looking my best is a priority over basic self care.  Having said that, yes, I do know that making an effort can be part of self care.  So is feeding myself, bathing and getting enough rest so yeah, there is a balance to be worked out there.

I usually make an effort with my clothing but have run out of steam by the time it comes to doing anything to my face.  It has been a long time since I went out looking a tad sloppy but I did recently and it was rather refreshing. Such a rebel, I am!

I started out with this jacket, which is not black though currently my photography makes everything darker than it really is.  The jacket is burgundy.  I liked the shape of it with the slouchy pants but not the darkness with the light shirt, which is actually a softer white than it looks in this photo which I had to brighten and well, as I said, I am having lighting issues.


After rejecting the jacket I threw on my trusty cardi and after seeing this picture made sure to leave it unbuttoned.


I was feeling quite unwell on this day so there is a great deal of faking going on here.

Two days later I had an appointment and attempted to feel a bit more like myself.  There was definitely a hair cooperation (or lack thereof) issue but I can't remember the last time I felt able to do up the whole package.  I put on a favourite dress in order to feel safe going to the appointment.  The cardi is navy, not black.  The dress is not quite this dark and the shoes are red, also not quite this dark.  I decided to give you total honesty and grabbed the heavy bag, book and my glasses which I would truly be going out the door with but usually don't think of when taking my picture.

I know, my whole vibe tends to be college prof of a liberal arts persuasion.


Too tired to get out much of a smile.  I love this dress and have two, in different colours of course.  I kind of wish I'd bought four of them and just lived in them all summer.

I like delicate jewelry but not delicate purses.  I think my body is large enough to pull off a chunky bag and if I pile on the delicate jewelry I am convinced that works too.  I've discovered that while I love the look of chunkier baubles I can't wear them.  (Can't as in not comfortable, don't feel right)

Recently, I decided one evening to experiment with my face.  I wondered what I would look like with dramatic makeup on.  Of course, I don't really own products that would give me a dramatic look so the best I could do was apply my brown eye shadow and mascara more liberally than I normally would.  Lipstick in the right shade always makes me look like I am wearing blush.  I can't imagine bothering to do this daily but I must admit it is probably worth the effort if I am leaving home.  I think it looks nice, though I am sure my version of dramatic makeup would make some laugh.  It feels quite dramatic to me though perhaps that is because it is accompanied by messy hair and a tee shirt. 

I think I needed to do this, just to remind myself that I can look nice if I try.  This is my favourite lipstick shade-too bad it's so drying and starts to flake off. (Revlon Colourstay in Supermodel)





I know, I know, three pics is a bit much.  Just imagine that with each one I am saying to myself "Is that really me?  Let me see that again!"

And in a month I will let poor neglected Jason fix up my self inflicted pixie.

27 comments:

  1. Well, I really liked your outfits. And the make-up was done really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. I'm not totally lacking any skills with makeup, I tend to just not bother with it. I'm experimenting in new forms of self care now. :-)

      Delete
  2. I like your makeup experimentation, Shawna - it inspires me. And your pixie looks awesome - you have good hair! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patti. I have really gotten in the habit of not bothering with makeup over the years, and thinking why should I have to wear it to look finished or polished. I think the feminist in me still balks at that but damn it, it does look nice. xoxo

      Delete
  3. So sorry you have been feeling under the weather. I hope your energy level gets topped up again soon.

    You've done quite well with still managing to get some photos of yourself. Everything seems so overwhelming when you are sick.

    You do look like a college professor in that one shot.

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are feeling better soon too. Photos do take a lot of energy and often that's why I am not smiling. I have worn myself out dealing with the timer and finding a decent pose etc. LOL xoxo

      Delete
  4. hey beautiful!
    you know it all: you think to much - that makeup is not dramatic at all - you look lovely even in a potato sack.....
    i´m still in my elastic waist shorts - but now with hubby´s felted sweater and wellies......
    but on the weekend is a party - so i will make an effort - just for the change :-)
    xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I think too much, but then I would not be me if I didn't! I hope you have a great time at the party! I am sure you would look awesome even if you went in your shorts and wellies. xoxo

      Delete
  5. Shawna, you look smashing in your portraits and I think making ourselves look great is part of basic self care. Bwahahaha!!! Read this back to me when I schlep out the door looking like a dust bunny from behind the toilet. You'll not be seeing photos of THAT on my blog. I still love your pixie cut.
    Lots of faking going on? Well, yeah. I love how we are able to fake things whenever we like. For me, sometimes that fake part sticks; sometimes not. Great to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You amaze me and if you are 'faking it' I am always impressed but feel quite exhausted on your behalf! Now, I am imagining what would happen if I let you do my makeup. xoxo

      Delete
  6. Gray suits you, and this soft lipstick is lovely on you. I love your slouchy pants outfit (I wore a similar one just the other day, only with more colors), and the dress is nice on you! Maybe it's time for a new camera, if this one misbehaves on a regular basis? Did you take many photos with it? I know I once exhausted my camera by taking pictures practically daily, and lots of them too, for a couple of years.

    I think you know when it's time to take care of basics, and when it's time to create, dear Shawna. Just do what feels right, it all changes anyway, from day to day.

    Sending you much love xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the camera is fine, as it is a good one. It's just the photographer who is not so good. I am getting to that point where I am itching to create but the body isn't quite ready yet. It's coming soon though; I can feel it! xoxo Sending much love back!

      Delete
  7. Liberal Arts College Prof. I like that look. Smart, pretty and not too concerned about what other people think. A+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie! I should get that on a tee shirt!

      Delete
  8. I cannot be bothered with my face either! SOOOOOOOO much effort. I just make an effort with clothes! Make up, pah!
    You look good with the make up though and I do so like that dress!!!x
    Not heard of those body types you talk about! I'm not one for finding out that type of thing so thanks for that, saves me the effort!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fascinated by archetypes so when I discovered some people were applying it to personal style I was hooked. I definitely think makeup should not be considered a necessary thing. You look great without it, and I hope I do too because I am certainly not always going to use it. I hate having to worry about touching it up or whether or not it is smeared. xo

      Delete
  9. Your make up looks great ... I don't mind putting make up on, it's the taking it off that irks me ... and as a result I hardly ever wear it.
    Hope you're feeling better soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I discovered some makeup remover wipes that take it all off in a few seconds. I am definitely not one to fuss and take a long time over such things! xo

      Delete
  10. You look really cool in gray. I have been practicing more and more with the make-up and its beginning to annoy me how much effort I have to put in. Love the dress and cardi look. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elsie, I think you look stunning, whatever it is you are doing. You suit some bold lip colour, I think, and your eyes naturally sparkle. xo

      Delete
  11. ooo, I love that dress, the print, is it hieroglyphs? No wonder you have another. And your slouchy look looks cool too, not sloppy. Makeup looks good. I don't do much, if any. Probably would look better if I did, but don't like the idea of it on me, I guess. Hey, my clothes are so comfortable, I wear them to bed if I wanna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was trying to figure out if that print has a name. It's a type I've always liked. Hieroglyphs indeed! There is no better name for it. I think a no makeup approach or a no makeup look really suits your style. You clothing has a fun, breezy vibe. It is the statement itself. xoxo

      Delete
  12. I have an almost identical pair of trousers that I love and think are super flattering, but they photographed on me so horribly I couldn't post the pic (but I need to get over that heightened level of self criticism). Yours photograph much nicer, must be your long leg advantage!

    I also love what @pao refers to as the "hieroglyph" dress - my thoughts exactly! There is a place in Scotland near my husband's hometown called the Findhorn Foundation - it is a basically a colony of hippies who live in eco houses, drink smoothies, do yoga and wear funky clothing and occasionally have concerts (you have to be rich to live there!), their shop sells such dresses and I love them! I like that nude lipstick colour very much, it is super flattering on you, might have to seek it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Height may well be an advantage for slouchy pants but I am sure they don't look as good in a static photo as they do on a 3D moving body. I definitely have an inner hippie but I don't drink smoothies too often, I like yoga, I like funky clothes too and I would probably buy something from their shop! Re the lipstick: I love the colour but would like to find a less drying version. xo

      Delete
  13. I really like your new haircut and possibly new hair colour. Both outfits are lovely but I prefer the second one as I tend to go crazy for maxi dresses. Looking like a professor of liberal arts is something I would like to achieve too:) I love that artistic/bohemian chic. The print on that maxi dress is amazing!

    I hope you're feeling better. Summer may be really exhausting...I just came back from a short vacation/ visit to family and it made me feel better.

    p.s. I really like your lipstick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like maxi dresses too, and like them best when they are a bit short on me-lol. Then I don't trip on them. xo

      Delete
  14. Love the face photos Shawna ... You are a really beautiful lady!!!! Love the 'self inflicted pixie!'

    Love the maxi dress ~ The professor styling is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.