Wednesday, 30 September 2015

Impossible?

You should have seen the look on Sheila's face when I answered her question.  She asked me something along the lines of which celebrity I would want to emulate.  I couldn't answer her right away.  I had not thought of it actively in years, but over night it came to me, whose appearance I always admired and who I secretly longed to look like.  Winona Ryder, I said to Sheila the next morning.    She gasped and then quickly recovered her sense of tact.  I could not have picked anyone less likely.  But then taking a celebrity as a style icon or a model for my own appearance always seems unlikely to me.  Is it any more possible for me to style myself after Julia Roberts, a woman much closer to my own age and size than Ms Ryder? 

But I have always felt at least slightly gamine, and it's not my fault I grew too tall to be one.  Or too round and soft.  The tallest person to ever pull off gamine, apparently, was Audrey Hepburn who was 5'7" but seemed smaller because of her slight build.  She was possessed of an angular thinness and large doe eyes, two other gamine requirements I have not.  The gamine is supposed to remind you of a beautiful young boy though I am not sure Audrey really does bring that to mind.  The gamine looks her best in slightly tomboyish clothing, their masculinity making her look all the more feminine, whereas when you dress her up in too much frou frou she looks just a bit off.  I couldn't tell you if that effect works on me, though I can say that when an ensemble gets too girly I think I look silly.  At the same time, I do not pull off the menswear look like the other famous Hepburn could or Lauren Bacall.

Although I've fought it, not wanting to be boring and, admittedly, wanting to be different from my mother, I tend to suit fairly classic clothing.  A little goes a long way with me, subtle is enough.  It doesn't take much to look dramatic and I am easily overwhelmed by accessories or strong lines.  I like just a touch of something funky or boyish with my classic clothing.  I might move in a ladylike way but I want to be free to run and jump and climb a tree, so my clothing has to move with me.

Remember Audrey in the tree as Sabrina?  She was wearing a dress.  I could do that.  Or at least I could once.  It has been awhile since I climbed a tree.

                                                      Source

I'm a bit old to be gamine, or so some might say.  What does a gamine grow up to be?  I'm not sure.  But nobody can tell me how to feel inside and inside there is a good part of me who feels gamine despite the rules.  I don't think we always get bodies to match our personalities.  Sometimes we just have to muddle through and find a way to make it work.  Perhaps Winona Ryder doesn't feel gamine at all. 

                                                 Source



                           

      Tall, middle-aged woman not pulling off gamine and not giving any fecks.
Just don't tell me I look statuesque.  I hate that word and I might punch you. Don't you think I look like I could just do that?

20 comments:

  1. I relate quite well to your body type. But you have more chest which I have ALWAYS longed for. It makes the clothing hang so much more appealingly. A flat chest on a pear shape resembles adult clothing hanging on a child's hanger. Anyway, I don't really care all that much about it anymore though. But you do have a lovely chest. ;) I had to gasp to myself when you said you look better naked then clothed. Definitely NOT me! I need the DKNY and all the other stuff in between.
    Love your haircut on you very much. You did a really great job. There's something very gamine in your look these days. I think you may be a bit of a tomboy. Am I right? Or maybe, when you were a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joni. I didn't do this haircut; I actually paid a pro this time! It's a bit shorter than I'd intended but I do like it. Boobs are not all they are cracked up to be. They get in the way and make it difficult to get a good fit. Having said that I don't know too many women who haven't got some complaint about their body shape so it's really just the clothes that don't fit us. We are all perfect.
      Am I a tomboy? I am the most ladylike tomboy you will ever meet. Yes, there is definitely some tomboy in me. I have never been girly though I am feminine. I never could really figure out the mix.
      I have to be naked for you to see I actually have a waist. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I have always been inspired and attracted to gamine celebrities, too. I've always felt slightly boyish and really not very "womanly" which I think it part of the reason. And you choosing Winona Ryder does not surprise me at all. I don't care how tall you are or what age you are. I think it's less about that that and more about that mischievous charm that comes with being gamine. And I think you have that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mischievous charm I can do, short and cute I cannot do no matter how hard I try-lol. I did grow up watching all the Audrey Hepburn movies so she was probably an unconscious role model. Thanks for your vote of confidence on the mischievous charm. ;-)

      Delete
  3. You can totally look like Winona! The dark eyes, the boyish short hair, the clothes that allow you to move freely... Not gamine in the Audrey sense but a bit more grunge, the generation X version, a bit rougher around the edges, just like Winona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grunge gamine-I like that! Yes thanks for the words-I will use them when I go shopping. I will pull something off the rack and ask myself, "Is this grunge-gamine?" LOL

      Delete
  4. Oooh, you look like her in that picture!!! Loving the green and waistcoat! I'm a wannabee Clara Oswald still and I love Felicity Jones!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, darling, I will love you forever for saying I look like Winona, but actually you just happen to be so lovable I will love you forever anyway!

      Delete
  5. oh yes, I agree with you about that gamine style which I also admired and coveted but never was able to create by myself. And I'm amazed because Audrey Hepburn was 5' 7"!!
    And love that you wear your waistcoat with a Winona attitude!, even your lipstick is a fabulous detail, and you look really comfy & cool!
    besos

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always loved Winona's pixie cuts. Another favorite was Mia Farrow's pixie in the late 60's. You look classic and cool, and just like yourself. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh, you look gorgeous Shawna! That's all I have to say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do a pixie cut proud. Looking rather well rested and lovely as of late : )

    bisous
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fun to listen to your mind work. I'm attracted to the same look while realizing I'll never embody it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. we both can can have a job as valkyries in a wagner opera - punching the nibelungs included! ;-P
    when i was young i had a bit of wynona and a bit of young elvis. but age softened all that lines. but still i stay away from "sweet" clothes/accessories - saccharine overload!
    pretty lippy!
    hugs! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That';s a great haircut, whether we are calling it gamine or pixie or whatever else. Funny that you don't like the term statueseque - I'd love to be called that! As for those little waif-like gamine girls - Audrey, Winona, Mia, and I'd add Jean Seburg - of course they look lovely. But I think it's entirely possible for an older woman to rock that look (even one who is more statuesque - ha, I'm teasing you - don't punch me!) as you are proving beautifully here. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't punch me but I do see similarities between Winona and you. (me running up a tree, haha) I love the term grunge gamine. Excellent! Hopefully you'd run up the tree after me with some junk food and drinks and we'd hang out and tell stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to look up the word "gamine", but as soon as read the definition, I agreed with you - you do posses such a youthful and a bit boyish, though at the same time very feminine charm! You look wonderful in this outfit, in this haircut and in this lipstick! Beautiful! Striking! From a witchy charmer to a gamine charmer in a couple of short months - why not! :) It's all up to us, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's almost innate to want to be gamine for various complex and some weird reasons? Wanting to be womanly but still innocent looking at the same time? I don't know but I also have felt less than the ideal with my very un-gamine features and shape! I grew up with Winona as my teenage muse so I can relate! I think your gamine haircut is very lovely regardless and suits you to a t! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your vest...awesome look and you can totally do gamine. That pixie looks great on you. I did a pixie once and I took Ryders photo to the hairdresses...I remember that so clearly. I loved that pixie...but now I only cut my hair when I get tired of my husband's nagging.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.