Tuesday, 3 May 2016

Sometimes a Cigar is Just a Cigar

Things are not always what they seem, not always what we think they are.  Sometimes we misunderstand, misperceive, misinterpret.  Take, for example, the breakup I thought was a breakup but wasn't actually a breakup more of a misunderstanding that involved "I thought you'd dumped me" and "I thought YOU had dumped Me."  Such a thing can last for a week and cause a person to distract herself with horrible experiences at online dating.

But that's about all I am going to say about that.  Now let's consider clouds.

I painted the moon recently, the way I often see it out my window right where my painting nook is.  Although the water is also out in front of me, I usually see the moon high in the sky and the west coast being what it is, the moon is often skirted with clouds.

                                                 Tranquillitatis

I e-mailed a photo of this latest painting to my parents only to find out that a debate had ensued as to whether or not those were clouds or waves.  Mum, who tends to be right about things 98% of the time, which translates to "I am always right", was in fact wrong this time when she supported the wave theory.  Dad, was triumphant in his declaration that these are in fact clouds.  I might add that Dad had successful cataract surgery last year while Mum is still yet to have hers.

The urge to paint is strong in me right now, though I am not yet certain what my next subject will be.  Not a cigar, I know that much.


Totally unrelated Tip: 

 I just have to share, though maybe I am the last person on the planet to know this.  I bought a pair of shoes recently, love them, they are perfect but I did hesitate in the store because they squeaked intensely with every step.  I decided I could sort this out and I bought them.  Then when I got home I google searched how to stop shoes from squeaking.

Most of the advice was to use powder.  The powder gets under the insole which is the source of the squeaking and if the insole is not removable then you just shake the powder into the cracks at the sides.   I didn't have baby powder or foot powder and I didn't even have cornstarch in my cupboard but I did have arrowroot powder. So I applied it liberally and it has worked!  Now I can sneak up on people in my silent shoes.

12 comments:

  1. Not clouds or waves...but treetops!
    Loving the painting. Yay for arrowroot powder (not easy to say:-&)
    xo Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange Aussie trees? I think I see what you mean though. xo

      Delete
  2. Even in museums, my criteria for paintings is based on whether I'd hang it in my home -- I'd not only buy Moon with Clouds, I'd clear off the best dining room wall for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a lovely thing to say and thank you for saying it! I don't often get enthusiastic feedback so I shall savour that. xo

      Delete
  3. Wonderful painting! I love the title too - perhaps inspired by a prominent lunar feature? Just a guess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you've become a stealthy blogger, huh? Good for you. Your parents' argument reminds me of a fight the parents of a friend once had. They were on a road-trip in a rural area and argued over whether they were going uphill or downhill. They stopped the car, got out and got down on the ground to try to support their positions. Humans are crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that story sounds like something Dr Seuss would come up with! I'd like to know if either of them tried rolling.

      Delete
  5. I see waves too, even though I know the moon wouldn't dip into waves realistically, I guess I just like the moon at night at the beach so that's what I see! I think art is subjective, if we want to see something different we can? ;-0 At any rate I like it, I love the moon. Great tip for squeaky shoes, thanks I have had many a squeaky shoe, they are troublesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am practically mortified with embarrassment when my shoes squeak. Yes, I think that art is whatever you see. So waves, trees, clouds, it can be all of those things. :-)

      Delete
  6. I would immediately hang it on the wall and then sit and stare at it!!!! Gorgeous painting sweet Shawna!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! I am thrilled to be encouraged by my blog friends. xoxo

      Delete
  7. Shawna, I love this painting! It's one of my most favorite of yours. Great job! Show us more of your work please.

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.