Friday, 5 August 2016

Soft Summer Yellow

My relationship with yellow has always been complicated.  It's one of the colours where I love some versions and really dislike others.  I could never find a yellow that flattered me so have not even attempted to wear yellow since 1986.  In home decor I tend to favour ochre yellow and certain mustards but never felt they were my best colours to wear.  I also love pale buttery yellows but those seem to show up in the shops much less often than brighter yellows.

Once I had Soft Summer colour swatches to play with I fell deeply in love with the Soft Summer yellow and am now on a quest to find it.  I must have some clothing in this yellow!

The closest I have come so far is a very very pale yellow tee shirt that my mother informed me was cream.  I still think it's very pale yellow but it does seem to depend what colour you see it next to.  Whatever you call it, I love it.  It's coloured something like this one from Soft Surroundings.



In the meantime I collect pictures of what I believe to be Soft Summer yellows on my Pinterest board, keeping in mind it is difficult to identify a colour without comparisons. 

                                                            Source: Pinterest


                                             J Crew dress-not sure of picture source



I love the yellow on the top and the grey-blue colour on the bottom of this image.  Soft Summer yellow gets a bit of a greenish look as it gets darker, because it is toned with a bit of blue-grey as all the colours are.


                                                                 Source



                                                            Source


If I were younger and doing the bride thing, I would wear a pale yellow gown.



                                             A flapper  bride could wear this one.

                                                      Pinterest dead link


                                                                      Source


I keep coming back to look at this colour combination though I wonder if the scarf is a bit too bright.  Still, it gives me ideas!






This isn't my Polyvore set and I wouldn't wear any of these things but I love the yellow of the dress.

                                                     Source





                                                             Source

This pale yellow is probably my favourite.  Just a little more yellow than cream, perhaps. Pale butter.  According the site these are actually white roses, so it's just the lighting that makes them look yellow.

                                                  How about a soft yellow door?

                                                                  Source

                                                                  Source



                                                             Source
                

                       It looks like my key word when shopping should be buttercream.

                                                            Source


                                                                Source

How could I not even realise how crazy I am about soft yellow?  Well the secret's out now.  I could keep collecting pictures all night.


None of these images are mine and they were all sourced through Pinterest.  I have attempted to follow the links and attribute the source but I don't think all sources I've credited are original.  

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful yellow, you will look wonderful wearing it! I love yellow, but in clothing mostly brighter shades - rich gold, mustard, ochre. But I realized that probably better not too close to my face, or if by my face, then in smaller dozes. :) It's fun to learn more details about myself as I go on exploring style.
    Hope you have a wonderful summer! Can't believe it's August already!
    Hugses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yellow and red are my nemesis colours ;-) But that barely there soft summer yellow is pretty I admit, I can see you wearing it :-) I also like the combination with the purple top, yellow scarf, it works somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yellow and red are tricky. Mostly the right sort of yellow for me is rare and hard to find, though it looks as though if I want to wear gowns or blankets I'm good to go! With red I am okay if I stick to blue reds but they require significant makeup unless they are soft and muted.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on yellow ... I like the purple top and yellow scarf. And I would want to rush out right now and paint my front door yellow after seeing that picture.

    My bridesmaids wore BRIGHT yellow to my wedding and I think they looked lovely! The flowers on my cake were white frangipani's with a yellow highlight in the inside. My kitchen used to be painted bright yellow as well ... I guess I like yellow!!! And I do so love a yellow rose of Texas!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.