Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Crazy in Love With Colour

I am in love with colour again!  I think my break from it, my need of neutrals, was a significant turning point.  I still love neutrals, those creams, camels, and greys that speak to me of cashmere blankets, and I still do love many colours and many colour combinations but to have discovered that I can wear the ones that are my very favourites, that give me that certain feeling in the pit of my stomach and make me swoon, well that is almost as delightful as having fallen in love with the right man.  Since I'm not talking too much about the man yet, I'll talk about the colours.


I stumbled across a pinterest board full of colour combinations I loved and I very nearly pinned the entire contents of her board onto mine.  I wanted to save and share some of those images here as well.  They represent the Soft Autumn colour palette as understood by the pinner and myself and make wonderful inspiration for combinations to wear.  I don't have a large quantity of clothing and accessories at this point so much of this is just inspiration for the future.  In the meantime, I swoon over these images.

I know I have worn the warmer versions of blue, green and purple, and a variety of browns, but peach, russet and mustard would be quite new to me.  I'm anxious to try them.

                                                                 Source


                                                             Source




                                     Source beyond Pinterest unknown to me

                                                           Source


                                                        Source



                                                Source: Pinterest board

                                                     Source

                                   Dead link-found on the Pinterst board linked above

                        The muted beads are better than the colour squares beneath them.


                                                          Source

                                                         Source


                                                                Source

                                                                     Source

                                                                   Source

                                                              Source

                                                           Source

                                                             Source

Colour palettes are a good reminder that the addition of a colour that would not be exciting on it's own can really enhance the overall look.

 If you like playing with colour palettes, Color Snap
 and Design Seeds are great sites to play on.



 Final Thought
 
One of my misguided thoughts about wearing colours was that I thought we were all trying to achieve high contrast.  I thought the very colours I loved, the soft and muted ones, weren't good for me because they blended with me so well.  Until I learned that softness and blending was my main characteristic, I would have expected these soft colours only to work for someone with a deep bronze suntan.  At the same time, I was so uncomfortable wearing colours that contrast strongly with me.   I also love the colours of the Deep Autumn palette but they are darker and stronger so they make me look very pale and a bit washed out.  I suppose they would be good if I were going for earthy-goth, a category I think yet to be invented.

8 comments:

  1. this blog is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh...ever so pretty colours! Happy you found your swoon worthy palette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous colours, the mauve and beige are calling to me! I have also struggled with the "If this colour "matches" me is it really doing anything much for me?" quandary as of late. Earthy goth sounds pretty fabulous to me, sign me up for that! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so happy that you "allow" yourself to be colorful again! Those are fantastic colors, so pretty. I can't wait to see your style expressions in colors now. I love colors, and I love colorful clothes. I'm looking forward to when you find your misplaced camera battery. :)

    While I am not against neutrals, I think when we go primarily for neutrals (cream, beige, gray...), it's rather an indicator that we feel overwhelmed by life. We are seeking for a restful spot that we cannot for whatever reason to find neither in outer world, nor in the inner world. It's only my perception, and I don't claim to be a guru. It's my "gut feeling" about the mostly neutral color palette in the Western cultures nowadays. I think majority feels like it's all all too much, they want an escape.

    Sending my love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd make a pretty good guru though! I agree with you. When I craved the neutrals that was exactly what I wanted. I wanted a resting place. I still love them and find soft camel, cream and grey very appealing but it's just an option for those times when I want to turn down the volume. I have discovered that I want to feel light in my clothes. For awhile I wanted heavy-I wanted layers and weight and darkness. Maybe I needed to be anchored. I still like weight in many ways but I want soft, light and warm colours. I am so excited because these are the colours I've always loved best and I thought they were not for me. Found the battery charger! Pictures of more experiments coming. Grateful for the love and sending some back!

      Delete
  5. Long time I haven't visited but you seem to be doing great. I love your pallettes of muted colors, so much more subtle, so much more satisfying! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMWord Shawna!!! I LOVE every palette showcased in your post!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.