Wednesday, 16 November 2016

Purple Is Magic and a bit Complicated

I love purple, and have typically worn it as freely as I always wore blue but now that I am looking for my best purples it requires some over thinking.

Purple is abundant in the Deep Autumn palette, where colours are neutral leaning warm and deep and rich.  It's a stunning palette.

All of the seasonal palettes have a generous amount of purple and although there is some variation depending on who and which system created the palette, Warm Autumn seems to have the fewest purple options.  Also puzzling is the apparent lack of warmth in the typically recommended purples.  No seasonal palette fan includes every possible colour for that season but is meant to be representative, and to support the user in finding other colours that work with it.  So I am probably being impatient because I do not have a Warm Autumn fan in my hot little paws, and am looking at the different options online.  I have one ordered of course!

Why is Warm Autumn Purple so Neutral?


Something Called Simultaneous Contrast
Redder purples belong to Deep Autumn because they also belong to Winter and Deep Autumn is approaching Winter.  That's my understanding.  It doesn't really work to warm up purple with yellow or gold so it seems that instead, the true warm seasons wear it as a complimentary colour, complimentary to their own yellow or gold tone.  That makes the best purple more of a true purple than anything very blue or very red.  For Spring it's made more pastel with white and for Autumn perhaps muted a bit but not so much as to remove it's identity as purple.  A drop of golden brown would mute it quite nicely and be very in keeping with Autumn colouring.

Simultaneous Contrast explained here.
It's essentially a fancy term to explain why complimentary colours are so powerful.


Celebrities in Dresses ( okay just two of them )
 
I would hazard a guess that this is an Autumn woman in a Spring purple.  The purple is warm but its brightness seems to compete and win against the muted, coppery warmth of Julianne Moore.

                                                             Source

And I wonder if this purple  ( worn by Paige Butcher and accessorised with Eddie Murphy )
might look fantastic on Julianne.  But she doesn't need Eddie.  Let's give her a different Eddie.  How about Eddie Redmayne?


                                                               Source


This gown seems warmed with brown, a bronze looks is present, something metallic even though the finish is matte. And that is the general quality of Warm Autumn. 

Julianne and Paige both need some gold jewelry.  Listen to me!  I'm turning into a stylist.  I've got a muted mauve dress that needs dyeing and hopefully I can achieve this purple. I'd better buy more than once box of dye.  That's okay. It beats crushing snails.
                                                               

You can see it represented here-seen better on in the fabric as the swatch fan is a bit shadowed.  You can just make out that there is a lighter option but it still doesn't look pastel or bright. 

                                                              Source

                                Pantone's Plum looks like it has potential to be a good one.

                                                                  Source


 Why is a Red-Violet in the More Neutral Deep Autumn Palette?


I'm going to attempt to look at it in the context of the overall palettes.  Here the point is not to look at individual colours but the overall effect of the two palettes. 

Warm Autumn is noticeably more golden than Deep Autumn, which has a Winter influence, and the red-violets of the Deep Autumn palette are too close to cool red.




                                                              Source


Moving around the colour wheel this is what would happen:  As blue moves towards red it becomes purple, then purple becomes red, and it's a cool red, which gets warmer as it moves towards yellow.  That's why the red-purple is in a cooler palette.

                                                                    Source


I have analysed that to my own satisfaction and perhaps put readers to sleep.  Speaking of which, it's time for me to do just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love visitors and I love comments. I will try my best to respond to everyone! Thanks for stopping by.